Blender GE feature requests, donation and bug fix system

Hi folks,

During a discussion on paying for new features and fixes within the GE, a very cool system for submitting, tracking and potentially sponsoring these requests was found.

https://files.bountysource.com/system/files/LibraryEntry/46/Bounty6.gif

As someone who has fixed a few bugs in the GE, I took the opportunity to set up an account to see how this system might work in practice ( the system shows my name as a developer, which of course will include all other developers if the GE community sees this is a way to move forward ).

Here is the link…
https://blenderge.bountysource.com/

Before you enter GE feature requests, have a look at how it is used on other projects - it’ll give you an idea of the type of information to enter.

Here are the links…
https://ampache.bountysource.com/development/feature_request
https://shaim.bountysource.com/development/feature_request

Also, breaking up larger tasks might ensure that those tasks get completed sooner. I’m sure the OGRE integration will be a huge request, but just saying “Replace OGRE as the default GE” is a bit too generic.

Its maybe best to just see what happens with the system for the next number of days and then give comments and suggestions then, rather than try to predict the outcome now.

I have a good feeling about this type of feature request system as I had mentioned in a previous post, as I’d personally put some dollars towards the OGRE / GE integration.

Hopefully the feature request list ( and optional bounties ) will give a clear picture of what you guys are looking for, with regards the Game Engine, new features and fixes etc.
Mal

thanks mal sounds good… will look at it now! Speaking of starting with the basics… I think a lot of people would like to see the current logic bricks all working a hundred percent… then move onto new features from there.

:eek: …
what a good idea…

SWEET!!!

Now maybe we will get things done!

I created my request.

'Tis approved.

I also started the bounty on the basic OGRE integration at $49 - I tried to transfer $50, but it miscalculated by a few cents ( the total amount was $53.85, so just $3.85 was split between BountySource.com and PayPal fees - a fairly small amount )

If enough people put in small amounts of $10,20,50 ( or if a few people want to put in even larger amounts ), this could soon add up to a nice little pot of gold, and therefore into potential developer time!

Note that, if you are adding some money, there are two steps ( I had originally thought this was a single step, and was waiting for ages for the money to appear, before I then went back in to have a snoop around my settings )…

1. Transfer money from PayPal to your BountySource account
  2. Assign this money to the request

Of course, if you don’t have a PayPal account, you have step 0
0) Get a PayPal account, or give $ to someone with a PayPal account, to charge up your BountySource account.

Mal

Can this be made sticky?

If OGRE is integrated will there be the ability to add portals to your games? :stuck_out_tongue:

awww…I was going to make a suggestion thread…thinking about it for a month and was actually going to do it today after school…I procrastonate everything…lol oh well nice system didn’t think of that=D

yes, yes it would.

not saying it would be easy to create something like that, just saying it ‘could’ be done

I like this idea. I hope as many people will contribute as said they would. I will be chipping in as I am able. Here’s my first contribution…:wink:

http://www.blendenzo.com/Images/stampOfApproval.jpg

lol blendenzo - i’m speechless

gogo OGRE! NEways… I can’t seem to get my paypal to work, I’d start off with a few bucks but they are so weird to get working - I’ll look into it

I also would be happy to add some gold in the pot, but I don’t like paypal, and also think that giving money before anything done to a third party is quite strange …

I would have better like a system of promisses of payment, like other project had (including Blender fundation in the time of freeing the code…)

but I don’t want to slow down the move, keep on like this :slight_smile:

> I also would be happy to add some gold in the pot, but I don’t like paypal, and also
> think that giving money before anything done to a third party is quite strange …
> I would have better like a system of promisses of payment, like other project had
> (including Blender fundation in the time of freeing the code…)

I’m not sure if new developers would be attracted by promises of payment - a promise can mean different things to different people!

I can definitely see the need for a system like BountySource in general, to ensure that, if the solution is developed, the developer gets paid - but only if all parties are agreed that it fully meets the requirements.

The payment that took place for freeing the Blender code is slightly different than this type of feature request system, in that it deals with micro-requests and payments ( eg I can ask for a very specific feature like enhanced joystick support, and put $30 dollars on it to start, or put $300 dollars on it if I really wanted it to be taken up ).

If an overall target was focused on ( eg raise £50K to improve the GE ), it might be tougher to measure how well the GE was improved, in terms of what would benefit the GE community. It might be interesting to see if a large sum could be raised in terms of supporting a game in a similar vein of “Elephants Dream”, but for that amount of money it would probably require government / university sponsorship of some sort ( I remember reading that ED was paid for like that )

We’ll know in a few weeks whether this might work or not - hopefully enough of the GE community will get behind it, to try to make it a success!

Note that you can enter feature requests at $0 for absolutely no cost ( many open source developers will still develop fixes for free ), so if you have something you want fixed in the GE, post it to the site.

At the very least, the list of feature requests on the system in 2 weeks ( most of which will be $0 ) should reflect fixes required by the GE community in the current 2.44 release - at the moment there are only 2 feature requests, so maybe the current GE is perfect and doesn’t need fixed after all! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mal

Why don’t you scout for talent, and then negotiate an aggrement for payment ahead of time… then you tell the community how much money we need for said feature… then we fill up the pot… then the guy starts his work… when he’s done we will pay him.

Sweet Portals!

lmao @ blendenzo…
You really crack me up sometimes man, I just love your dry humor.
like a programmer is really going to take that as something of value or importance…
( I know no one around here dose. )

money talks and bull$h!t walks…

Thanks for this thread malcando, it is very long over do… I also vote that this thread should be stickied .

might be a day or so before I can donate, my wife is away for a few days. (she holds all the gold in this family)

I hope snailrose or erwin gets the bounty, they really have worked hard for us, without much reward. hopefully this will give them the ability to buy something nice for all their hard work.

> I hope snailrose or erwin gets the bounty, they really have worked hard for us, without > much reward. hopefully this will give them the ability to buy something nice for all their > hard work.

For sure - even if the bounty isn’t that great, using it to get a few hundred bucks to purchase a nice gadget might be a good incentive for them.

At the moment, there is a potential bounty for Erwin ( the web plugin ), and Snailrose ( the basic OGRE integration ), so it would be great to see more of the GE community adding to this ( even in a small way - 20 bucks times 20 GE users starts adding up ).

Also, for smaller bug fixes, I personally will continue to try to fix them for free, but having a bounty might encourage new GE developers to come on board, and to take the few steps to download the source, compile Blender GE and fix the problem.

I had been wanting to download the source for years, but it was only after writing the article for the BSoD on the GE and having the bug occur with the message sensor firing twice that I took the step to download the source and try to fix it ( the itch and scratch thing ). That led me on to try my hand at fixing a few other smaller bugs. ( note that I’ll also be organising a GE competition soon, and donating the E500 that I received from the BSoD to the winners - I’m happy to invest in the GE as a whole, as this will lead to a better GE for everyone including for myself )

If the bounty encourages other potential GE developers to do the same, then that would be a huge success for the GE community!

P00f wrote…
> might be a day or so before I can donate, my wife is away for a few days. (she holds all the gold in this family)

lol - I remember that situation, wondering what happened with the 50/50 rule turning into 99/1! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mal

malCanDo,

you are pretty “right on” .

I hope to see you stay here in the BGE, we really need some more advanced people here helping out.

I think you are right, and it will bring more attention to the BGE.

I wish I had more to give… all I can contribute is what little I know here to help new people.
when my wife gets back, I am definitely going to toss some bills and coin in the hat.

I hope others do the same :slight_smile:

Bountysource service is expensive! 5%! This guys are doing nothing!

I guess this ideia could atract more developers. The question is: will they maintain a group conversation? Will they submit partial (but very important) code solutions?

Because sometimes people don’t do all the job, but work VERY VERY hard inside partial solutions. This job also needs a reward, i think. And a moderator. Erwin maybe? <<<IMPORTANT: this kind of moderation takes a LOT of time.

Few sugestions:

• Describe to audience how money will reach developers. Who will be the manager? Blender foundation? I hope so. We don’t need intermediaries. Forget that Bontysource.com!

BTW the “bounty home page” needs more explanations. Whats is the game engine? What is Blender? Why people are raising founds for that?

Someone absolutely new to Blender needs to fully understand what the deal is.

• FAQ:

Versions developed with bounty resources will remain open source and free?

Don’t forget the obvious! :wink: I wish you all the best for this initiative Mal!