Blender GE feature requests, donation and bug fix system

Hmm, 5% fee is even higher than paypal’s, LOL. I dont know if this would help. But I have 2 available sites/hosts. They have unlimited space and domains, but only 50 bandwidth. I dont know if I can get more bandwidth for them for a fee or not.

I would donate them to the cause and donate the domain names too. Perhaps they could be used in tandom instead of bounty?

It would require an html, php, whatever scritper to maintain the site. They come with Cpanel and a load of stuff, carts, mail, you know, stuff!

They havent been used for 3 years now, but still paying for them. (cheap though)

I’m glad that you realized it was a joke. I mean, I do approve of the idea, but I don’t honestly believe that my stamp has any monetary value or that anyone needs my approval to continue with a good idea.

Some people like it, some people even appreciate it. Other people think I’m an egotistical jerk. It wasn’t really my intention to come across that way, buy hey, whatever. Any mail is fan-mail, right?

Well guys don’t start criticising or think i am making use of some opportunity.
Just a thought for consideration.
I want BGE to develop but i have little resources if any to donate to it.
You know i have made a complete game. It is bit crappy in Textures. But still i have made it playable and you can have some fun playing it. I have made the textures better & made further improvements and the work is over. It is not a professional game but is a quite a community game that can be extended with mods. and so on.
You guys seem to row over donating and are afraid whether the results will turn up. Sure enough the Developers have worked for free till now and may will continue but they will be happy to get something.
So you guys need not give for nothing. I shall release my game with source files & other things and doc that i will prepare later on step by step, for just $10.The game may not be a great consideration. But still you get something more than just promises. Half of this goes to BGE Development. After all without blender i could not have made this game. Once it goes there developers will be attracted. I think this is win-win situation . Everyone gets something. I can also say that i have made some contributions :slight_smile:
Just a thought - what you guys think ?

hmmm… Maybe Ton is right when he talked anout stratching an itch… maybe to get someone to right really good code they’ve really got to want to write it … … and doing it for free is a good test of that… It is open source afterall…
I think a place where we can vote on what features we want is a great idea… but I’m begining to think the money thing won’t work.
my 2cents

I think money is the only motivator… we can try and see if it it works. I don’t see any other ways of getting people involved… I mean trying to get someone to code blender game engine like the elephant dream project seems a bit wierd to me… because if they could code that well why would they bother…?

They could just get a job in the game industry and for that to even possibly happen the engine would have to be a lot better for a programmer to want to get stuck in to improving it. If I was making my own game I would code my own engine or use something that is graphically more advanced…despite wanting to use the GE it’s just not up to the task for a big project… Game projects are way too specific and far more complex to be compared to coding tools for a 3d animation app (don’t get me wrong making those tools isn’t easy but making those tools work in realtime… way harder!). Apple ands Pairs.

But this need not be the case if there was a push from the guys at the top besides the GE bunch to fix all the existing bugs and get a solid version out. Then people would be willing to build on it. So maybe the cash can help get a solid GE with working logic bricks and good sound… then work on improving the logic bricks and the graphics.

nice idea! maybe i will donate some euros too.

i saw the web plugin task in the list. i think the biggest problem with the web plugin is that python can’t be easily sandboxed. the web plugin will always be a huge security risk if it uses standard python.

I’m not to familuar with python, but what about using only python to interface with a server side scripting language and have the web page handle the security?

[ASP] http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pip/

Two of the issues on the forum have now been fixed ( lighting issues, and also Game Engine Bitmap text displaying within Blender ), see…

https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6730&group_id=9&atid=127

and…

If you have any other GE bugs that you can define, and show a simple .blend file for, post them up at the site below…

https://blenderge.bountysource.com/

I’m working on a doc that will explain how to download and compile the Blender source so that it can be debugged using free tools ( in Visual C++ Express ), and will also append info on how the code for the GE is laid out.

This will hopefully encourage new programmers to have a look at the GE, especially if I can mention where an existing list of bugs exist ( so that they can focus on what to try ), and potential funds ( there’s nothing like beer money to attract coders! )

Mal

–thanks for all the good work Mal…

I’m working on a doc that will explain how to download and compile the Blender source so that it can be debugged using free tools ( in Visual C++ Express ), and will also append info on how the code for the GE is laid out.

I think this is an excellant idea… I have a programmer friend and this would help me to get him to fix some bugs if he could look at the documentation and it wasn’t to hard to fix etc. etc… plus if I could motivate him of course… :wink:

Hi, I just seen this : http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
Sourceforge becoming a “marketplace” for services is surely a good news … but until now, I’ve not seen the conditions of this … maybe they’ll be cheaper than bountysource.
wait and see.

Well a kindly coder could create the script similar to bounty for our own site. Then it would be almost free? Or perhaps hosted on blender.org? you know?

There could be one for Blender and one for BGE. There are a lot of folks who believe the coders should be fixing modeling bugs not the game engine.

So having both sites could show our enthusiasm for BGE. The first page could show the totals available per each, then a brief description of how to use the wish lists (coders and wishes and MONIES). Clicking on either total will send you to that page, etc.

Then we need to post links to the above from wherever we can advertise for free. You know to beg coders to visit and help.

Mal:
Please post a link when you get the tut for compiling done. Thank you very much for doing that and everything else, of course.

Iti

When handling currency ( eg PayPal transactions, or even credit cards ), I’m pretty sure there’s a cost to that ( and also a credibility issue for people who want to donate towards a new feature / bug fix ).

BountySource.com seems to be a great system that is available right now - if there are better systems, they can be looked at in the future.

Judging by the fairly small amount people have donated so far though, it looks like the concept of paying coders to work on the GE might not be the best way forward.

After a month, we can review the progress - remember, the http://blenderge.bountysource.com site was created as a test, to see if paying for code would work.

If the GE community aren’t willing to pay for fixes in the first place ( which is fair enough ), then discussions of similar types of payment system can be skipped over in future discussions, and alternatives to paying can get more air time.

Mal

Yes, I understand. There is a paypal fee too. But in this case, I think it comes from the sender, not the receiver.

I was just brainstorming. :wink:

I would like to donate too, but I am so new, I dont know what needs fixing. LOL.

Mal,

Thanks for those fixes. One question: Is it possible on bountysource to add money to a project that has been completed as a “thank you”? I didn’t see the bitmap text fix up while it was still an unfinished project, or I would have contributed.

I have a new request, but it’s a bit complicated and I don’t know exactly how to describe it. Basically, I’ve found that the os.getcwd() does not always return the directory of the game, making it difficult to use external scripts and resources. This is because the BGE is running from a variety of different places depending on how the game is run. This is a really big problem, especially on the Mac. I haven’t been able to find a way to get the Mac to look in the right directory for scripts yet. It always seems to look in the root directory. On other systems, it seems to look in the directory where the BlenderPlayer or runtime is, or in the user’s home directory. This problem could potentially be solved with code similar to the Blender.Get(‘filename’) code from the Blender module, but I don’t know a lot about how that works. (For anyone wondering, the BlenderPlayer does not include the Blender module.)

Anyway, this is a difficult thing to make an example blend about, but if you need more info let me know. Also, someone should add it to bountysource (I don’t think I’m very good at describing what the actual issue is here). I have work-arounds for this problem, but I’d really like it to work right for my commercial project (read: I’m willing to pay for a fix).

Ititrx wrote…

> Please post a link when you get the tut for compiling done. Thank you very much for doing that and everything else, of course.

I’ve uploaded my notes so far, just in case anyone wants to get cracking straight away - I’ll be using these notes to create a more official looking document for the website.

http://www.candointeractive.com/blender/CompileBlenderForGEWork.zip

Blendozo wrote…
> Thanks for those fixes. One question: Is it possible on bountysource to add money to > a project that has been completed as a “thank you”? I didn’t see the bitmap text fix up > while it was still an unfinished project, or I would have contributed.

No worries regarding the fixes, and for offering a “thank you” bounty :slight_smile:

If there was a bounty on it, I’d have put it back into the system anyways, in order to encourage new programmers to come on board - for me, this is very much a way to see how we can get a few more GE developers on board to help out with the simple ( but annoying ) GE bugs, before they hopefully take on more complex developments within the GE.

Regarding your bug - if you can break it down to a simple .blend file that should work, but doesn’t, and describe the exact steps that should be happening, that would make for a great project start for a new coder - the detail would need to be as basic as possible, as new coders may not yet have a handle on the internals of Blender.

Mal

malCanDo:

I was just running a test, and received a message to email the bug to [email protected] Is that you then?

It is a reproducable error AABB overflow. Object removed from simulation.

Just curious, oh and thanks for the notes, downloading now. I also just found another site that has similar information: here

I have had that link for a while and forgotten about it. Too busy.

Judging by the fairly small amount people have donated so far though, it looks like the concept of paying coders to work on the GE might not be the best way forward.

After a month, we can review the progress

Perhaps you should let the BountySource idea run its course for a bit longer? Maybe 2-3 months, instead of just 1 month. I’m sure there are plenty of people who use the GE who would love to donate but havnt heard about this yet, or simply havnt found the time to join the site just yet. I, for example, do plan on donating to this within the next week or so, but I just havnt found the time to deposit money in my paypal account just yet.

Maybe you could also get a story about this published on blendernation.com? That might get some more viewers to the site and perhaps more donators.

Yeah blendernation could help significantly ;). Go for it mal!

I would like some more python for Actions and IOPs, like .isPlaying which return true if the action is playing, and a .getFrame for IPOs

malCanDo:

I am still downloading blender for compile. I think I will have to add another drive, lol. Is there a way to compile without all the dependencies for any os other than mine? xp.

Please no flames. But for just looking at the code and maybe getting a clue how it goes together, and maybe helping (its been so long since I did any real coding) I dont need all the other os on my drive.

Thanks for helping.
Iti