Blender Gimel Studio Addon (Free & open-source addon)

Hi all,

I have been creating a Blender 2.8+ bridge addon for Gimel Studio which currently allows users to launch Gimel Studio and edit rendered images from Blender in Gimel Studio.

The addon is free and open source and can be downloaded from Github.

Gimel Studio is a free and open-source, node-based, non-destructive image editor for Windows and Linux.

It has a node-based workflow for compositing, masking, manipulating, generating and adding effects to images -complete with a registry of 20+ nodes and an API allowing users to script their own custom nodes in Python.

• basic image editing features such as flip, color balance, brightness, contrast and blur effects
  • advanced editing capabilities such as generating PBR maps for use in 3D from image textures
  • node editor has a similar look, feel and functionality of the Blender compositor

The Blender bridge addon is currently only a working prototype/test and I am looking for feedback on how to improve the addon with more features, etc for a great workflow between Blender and Gimel Studio.

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing feedback! :grinning:

8 Likes

Yes, this is really a big difference from the previous version. Gimel Studio runs very stable. :+1:You used Shift+A :sunglasses:, very cool. Together with the addon this really makes a second (faster) compositor for Blender. Hats off.
Most of all, I would like to see an update for the addon so that it opens every following rendering as a new image in Gimel Studio, not as a new instance. Maybe a second button would be good for that. So I can easily compose layer by layer.
Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Yes, it is. :grinning:

HalleluYah and thank you!

O.k. So to clarify, you mean having the button open each render layer as a new Image node in Gimel Studio? Or, do you mean that when you make a change in blender and render, the image would update in Gimel Studio automatically?

The latter is something I’ve been working on, but perhaps you mean the former?

1 Like

The latter is also interesting. Personally, I like to render layer after layer (no renderlayer setup), so I prefer to have a button that opens the current render image in the already opened instance. >The same way as it already does (only in the same Gimel Studio instance).< I think that this way you have the greatest artistic freedom.
The next step for me would be other nodes, but i like to see what the community suggestions are. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Personally, I like to render layer after layer (no renderlayer setup)

Me too :grin:. I was just trying to clarify what you meant.

So, your thought is that a separate button should be added to the panel so that the newest render is added to the Gimel Studio node graph as a new Image node (e.g: 1. I rendered the default cube as one “layer”, launched Gimel Studio with that image. 2. The following renders are opened as new Image nodes)?

The next step for me would be other nodes

Feel free to share what you’d like to see implemented.

but i like to see what the community suggestions are.

I have been getting feedback elsewhere, but it would be nice to see some feedback on this BlenderArtists thread too! :grinning:

Yes thats what i mean.

At the moment I’m not sure. I would need a real project. But I need the button first, otherwise the workflow makes no sense.

I see Gimel Studio between Blender and Gimp in the workflow. For example, I would like to have several dirt layers together before I have all of them separately in Gimp.
It would be nice if I can save a setup and then quickly use it for other images (objects of the scene that all have the same dirt settings). I already had the idea with batch processing. But now I tend to image reload (alt+R) like blender.

By the way
Where is youre gumroad or/and Blenderatist or/and patreon ?

1 Like

Dark theme would be nice.

1 Like

True. I will work on this and then we can see from there.

I see Gimel Studio between Blender and Gimp in the workflow.

Yes, I do see that. :slight_smile:

For example, I would like to have several dirt layers together before I have all of them separately in Gimp.

I am guessing you mean that the dirt layers would be composited in Gimel Studio before you edit them in GIMP.

It would be nice if I can save a setup and then quickly use it for other images

O.K, do you mean saving the Gimel Studio node setup like in v0.4.2? I plan to re-implement the project file save/open in a future release.

I already had the idea with batch processing. But now I tend to image reload (alt+R) like blender.

I guess I don’t exactly understand. Are you wanting batch processing?

Where is youre gumroad or/and Blenderatist or/and patreon ?

I do not have anything fully setup at the moment, but thank you for asking. :grin:

I thought I might mention that if you’d like, in the meantime you could support a good cause, Bread of Life Giving and Sharing, on behalf of supporting development of Gimel Studio (if you would like to think of it that way). It consists of a coffee shop (a soup-kitchen in disguise due to the way that they preserve the dignity of those who cannot afford meals), thrift store and theatre.

It is staffed entirely by volunteers (I and my family were at the coffee shop volunteering recently, and plan to continue) and all proceeds and donations are used to help the poor and needy (since there is no payroll). You can read more about this on their website.

Thanks again for your all suggestions! :grin:

1 Like

Yes

Ups, I didn’t realize that this was no longer possible.
This is of course one of the biggest advantages compared to a graphics program like gimp, that you can save a setup. Why did you take it out ?!?

In Blender you can use the command “image reload” (alt+R) to reload all image nodes in all editors. For example, if you want to reload a file from a PBR setup: >bumpmap edited in Gimp< you can reload it with alt+R in Blender without going through any menus. Blender then simply reloads all graphic files. There is also an addon that automates this every few seconds (can be set).
So you can extend the previously discussed approach >Every Render as New Image Node<, e.g. to overwrite the previously created images with the addon >Quick Render< and use the setup for other objects in the scene. Of course you would have to save all image files first.

I’m sure that’s a good thing, but I was thinking more about giving you something back personally when you bring ideas of mine into Gimel Studio. Anyway, that’s what I do with addon coders that don’t want money for the addon. :rofl:

Thank you for your suggestion. This is in the roadmap (to have a “true” dark theme/themes), but I am not sure when this will be implemented as other features seem to be higher priority for the moment (3D preview, possible 16 and/or 32-bit workflow, optimizations, etc).

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yes, I know…It’s actually personally my most liked feature. I mainly removed it for now because at the moment, the internals of Gimel Studio are changing a lot and file compatibility would be zero (ex: a file from v0.4.2 couldn’t be opened in a future release). I don’t want to ruin anyone’s day by having them think if they saved a file in a previous version it could open in the latest release. Obviously, once Gimel Studio is out of beta, breaking changes and file compatibility will be a high priority. But, for now there are no guarantees. :upside_down_face:

You mean the blender addon, “Quick Render”? I believe you mean that each time it would just overwrite the past rendered images, right? If so, this is basically what I had in mind.

I was thinking more about giving you something back personally when you bring ideas of mine into Gimel Studio.

That’s kind of you. :heart:

Anyway, that’s what I do with addon coders that don’t want money for the addon.

I understand. I’ve seen too many Open-Source projects fail because of lack of support (mainly because of time, of course), so it’s good that you are willing to do that. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Just to update on the Dark Theme for Gimel Studio: I was able to implement a fairly nice dark theme. There are still parts of it that need work, but it should be in the next release. :slight_smile:

1 Like