Blender Guru Competition: Scifi

Andrew, could I make a picture, where I have my main object (the ship/ car etc.) and then a image object behind it. Also, can I use image textures? Thanks.

Delete this post.

might as well reserve mine as well :stuck_out_tongue:
will edit soon

I guess I will reserve mine!

Not done yet…

i will be entering this competition with a short animation, does not look like i have long but i can always try. i think it will be a space dogfight but with a twist…

My Entry…hmm God have mercy on my Soul.

Simple space dogfight…hmm based on SHMUP game :smiley: This is supposedly to be an animation but it seems i simply can’t make it in time.

In case of higher resolution requirements…link is available here.

Ok, i’m definetely going for this one :).
WIP thread: LINK

Links dead!!! :rolleyes:

Reservation posts are just clutter. Add your post when you have something to show or something to ask. Reserving your post makes no difference in the winning so don’t bother.

Here’s my entry, a large colonization ship finally arrives at it’s destination after many years of travel:

Here is my entry. I wanted to go for a different approach. I thought it would be difficult for anyone to be truly original and unique with a subject such as Sci-Fi. It’s all been done before. So this is my tribute to the greatest Sci-Fi films ever. Does anyone else remember these arcade games, lol? I loved these games when I was young. Oh to relive those days of the early 80’s.

I still can’t stand Cycles so I used the internal renderer. Cycles makes Blender too easy. I love figuring out how to make Cycles quality renders with the internal renderer. One of the methods for accomplishing this is proper lighting. For this particular render I used 8 point lamps with a strength of 1, all with ray shadows set to 10 samples and a soft size of 5. I also set the threshold to 1. I used no white lights at all. 4 lamps were golden orange (Red: 1, Green: .500, Blue: 0) and 4 were light blue(Red: 0, Green: .500, Blue: 1). All the lights were set above the models in a circular formation, every other light being either gold or blue. Anyway, God bless everyone and good luck to all the contestants…

I would like to give it a try. When i finished my work i have to post it here in this thread right?

Delete this Post

@RazorR Yeah, you post your entry here.

I am new on the forum, and have recently attempted to post, which has somehow been lost in the ether, If I have inadvertently mucked anything up, I apologise.
I would like to enter the competition, My plan is to use a picture that |I produced in photoshop a couple of years ago as my starting point. This is an illustration from a novel by the author C.J.Cherryh, the picture is called “Norway docks at Pellstation” What I hope to do is produce a short animation that ends up wjth an approximation of this picture.

So far I have made a model of the warship “Norway”, and I am starting on the texturing with the heightmap, with diffuse and spec to follow, about five hours work so far. This is my work in progress.

@model man thx dude…i’m looking forward to see all the works of all the other guys :slight_smile:

Gonna be sure to enter this one :slight_smile:

Do this and design your own new ubber cabinet in 3d!! like a real star wars ship had a baby with a arcade cabinet!!

imagine a cockpit, with fans to simulate motion, wrap around screen, and a gunner cockpit :slight_smile: real crazy looking controls and lights:)

now make it and I will play it and smile forever :slight_smile:

Here is my entry
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/48032

Its ok, but remember, you have loads of time still! :slight_smile: It could benefit from some compositing, put some glow on that earth etc…and the side of the earth in “darkness” is too visible…plus, you should have a cloud and atmosphere sphere overlaying the actual earth :slight_smile: Just adds a bit more realism…Finally, space is too bright IMO