Blender Guru Fan Animation - Christmas in Phillipines

Podcast link: https://www.blenderguru.com/podcasts/ep61-lackluster-blender-features-investing-educaiton

I always wanted to make a Game Grumps Animated. But rather than creating another one out of thousands already out there. I decided to make one including the blender community.

I used to listen to Blender Guru podcast back in 2014. It is massively underrated. I hope this video makes people intrigued in the actual podcast which had loads of moments like this.

These are basic 2d planes stacked on top of each other with Ambient Occlusion shader. These planes are then parented to a main part of a body. Eg. all the eyes,nose ,mouth is parented to the face. Same goes for palms, legs etc.

There is a folder which contains all the lip flaps drawn. Lip sync is achieved by overlaying an alpha texture of the lip flaps on the face, setting it to image sequence and then keyframing the offset.

The head jiggle is achieved by adding a noise modifier between two keyframes and then adding an stepped interpolation modifier for the abrupt movement. Same stepped interpolation is used for the body movement.

For the south park style, I used a lot of references from the actual show. Some like the door is a 3d model as drawing each pose would take a lot of time.

The shape of the nose and the wrinkles of the face along with the big round eyes are the key to create a south park caricature of any famous person.

2 Likes