Blender Guru's Donut tutorial: Glass render got messed up

Hi, I’m a complete beginner to blender. I’ve been following Blender Guru’s donut tutorial and I haven’t had any major issues up until now. I got to Level 3, Part 5, where he shows you how to do UV unwrapping. When I finished the tutorial and got back to render mode, I noticed the glass on my cup looked pretty weird, as you can see on the attached image. I’ve been looking for a solution for a couple of hours up until now, and I found this thread: AWFUL Render Output Glass It seems like OP had a similar problem. The main advice that people gave was to check if there were double faces on the cup that were messing up the render. I did that, and it seemed like there weren’t any. Then again, it may be that I am such a noob that i couldn’t even do that right. I also leave a link of my blend. file, in case anybody needs it. Any help is appreciated
Glass:

Blend. file: https://pasteall.org/blend/0b4736e29b964bf89393589be826f5b2

It’s double faces. If you checked by moving a face, you wouldn’t have seen it because you have proportional editing on and it would have move both faces.

To fix it:

1. Select all faces
  2. Mesh > Merge > By Distance
  3. Mesh > Normals > Recalculate Outside
  4. Face > Shade Smooth
1 Like

Select the cup, go to Edit mode, select all, then Mesh > Merge > By Distance. Then do Mesh > Normals > Recalculate Outside. Back in Object mode you can go to Object > Shade Smooth for a better look. Do the same for the plate and should be okay, you had loads of doubles. Did you created some of the faces manually or something?
@init_pixel lol I just posted the same thing

1 Like

Oh my god thank you so much! That makes sense! There’s so many things happenning on screen that i didn’t even bother checking if proportional editing was on.

Thanks to you too! And about your last question, truth is I don’t even know. Like, maybe I did create some of the faces manually but I have no idea. I’ll keep this on mind if a similar problem appears on the future, though.

What you’ve likely done is press extrude (e) by mistake and then cancelled the operation with escape or right mouse. That would make it look like you undid the extrude, when in fact you’ve duplicated all the faces at exactly the same position. Cancelling just cancels the transformation of the extruded faces, leaving the faces at their default position.
It’s a very common mistake and can bite even experienced users on occasion.

1 Like