Blender hangs for a while on startup now

Something weird has started happening only in the past week or so. I haven’t updated blender or anything, but seemingly out of nowhere blender startup tends to hang for 30 seconds to even a minute or two every time I start up an instance, before eventually continuing. The last line before the long hang is always:
Read prefs: C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\config\userpref.blend
And it just sits there seeming to be doing nothing. No appreciable disk or cpu use.

The next line is always:
found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\python

I’ve tried running blender with --debug and it doesn’t produce any useful error messages in the region where it hangs:

c:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90>blender --debug
Switching to fully guarded memory allocator.
Blender 2.90.0
Build: 2020-08-31 10:00:13 Windows Release
argv[0] = blender
argv[1] = --debug
Read prefs: C:\Users\Adrian\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\config\userpref.blend
read file C:\Users\Adrian\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\config\startup.blend
  Version 290 sub 8 date 2020-08-31 11:26 hash 0330d1af29c0

(hangs for ages, then continues)
found bundled python: c:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\python
… and so on as usual.

I’ve saved a new startup file and it still happens.
Short of nuking all of my settings and reconfiguring everything, does anyone know anything else to try poking at, to figure out what is going on?

Could you try to download the Portable (.zip) version and run that to see if it has the same issue?

I feel silly for not having thought of that.

The portable version of 2.91 launches fairly quickly, and does not hang on the loading userprefs.blend stage like my install of 2.90 does.

I bet this just means I should upgrade to 2.91, and nuke my settings.

Nuking my settings by renaming startup.blend and usepref.blend doesn’t seem to help. When I do this, blender starts up into its initial setup mode, like you’d expect, but it still hangs for 30-60 seconds before it gets there. There is no console output initially, and then AFTER it un-freezes, the console output is :
found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.91\2.91\python
Is this something to do with my python install? This is an issue that I had in 2.90, and still had when I installed 2.91.

I’m kind of tearing out my hair here. Can anyone suggest what else I should even look at?

I found this in a bug report:
Try running Blender with the command blender_debug_gpu.cmd. I believe that will also spit out a debug text file you can upload for us to look at (if Blenderartists doesn’t support text file uploads, try pastebin.com or pasteall.org). That might help to totally eliminate your graphics card.

Another bug report I read for hangs when opening Blender on Windows were related to OpenCL. There is a chance that there is some sort of CPU update for your computer offered through Microsoft Update, your computer’s manufacturer (Dell, Lenovo, etc.), or directly through your CPU manufacturer (Intel or AMD). Take a look at those options and let us know.

Had an issue with Blender and Davinci Resolve both doing what you described which lasted a week or so along with many restarts and full power cycles only to find out that it was a USB card reader which didnt “eject” a sd card (from my camera) correctly and every time i started Blender it was trying to scan a sd card which didnt exsist. After unplugging (and tosing in garbage :slight_smile: ) the card reader, everything loaded fine/normal.

As a matter of curiosity, why was Blender scanning some random drive you had plugged in?

I don’t know if this is helping, but I’m having a similar problem:

Since my university is mostly online this year I’m working a lot on network drives which I embedded in windows so I dont need to reconnect them everytime. In order to use them I need to be connected to the VPN of our university. If I’m not, windows explorer and other software, including Blender (!) wont stop loading and looking for the missing drive (at least thats what I’m thinking).
Once i connect to the VPN, everything goes smoothly.
Maybe you have a similar situation?

For the same reason Master-edd stated about network drives.

It does seem to have been caused by an inaccessible network drive. I’m currently off of a VPN I’m usually on, so a network share on the VPN obviously can’t connect. That seems to have caused the hanging.

Thank you so much for helping me with that.

That does invite the question though… why on earth was Blender trying to do anything that was reliant on that drive? I’ve never done anything with blender on that network drive, so it wouldn’t be in any history or anything, and no other programs had an issue with it as long as I didn’t actually tell them to try and access it.