"Blender has stopped working"

Hi,

I’m trying to finish a project, but it was first hit by hardware limitations several months ago, I now have a new computer and I’m experiencing a different error.

When I try to render, and sometimes when I try to preview render, I will eventually get this message at some point during the process:

“Blender has stopped working. A problem caused that program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”.

I have volumetrics, particles, and SSS in my scene so I’m rendering with the CPU. I have 32 GB RAM and the task manager reports that I have plenty spare (more so when I try with Simplify enabled). I have a 4770k and I am not overclocking it right now either. I’m using blender 2.71 with the standard feature set.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt

Identify any problem objects are hardware limits.
Hide from rendering all objects, Render, Crash yes or no
Add an object back, Render, Crash yes or no
continue etc

Update your computer
Ensure latest drivers etc
Look at crash logs and google errors

Thanks, I started going through your suggestions but found that everything renders ok on 400 samples (it failed when I tried 4000…which is necessary for the heterogeneous volume).

I am trying out the buildbot version now to see if that allows me to render at 4000 samples.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks, trying it now. :slight_smile:

The new build seemed to fix everything. I will do a full-res, full-detail render overnight to confirm.