Blender import Maya ASCII?

<--------------------- !SOLUTION! -------------------------->

Ok, for anyone who might in the future be wondering how to do this, I figured out a solution.

Download a COLLADA exporter for Maya, and export your camera (Note: the script seemed to balk when I tried to include meshes, so for now it’s just the camera that I export)
Pretty much you can just use the defaults, don’t use camera as lookat.

Now, find the file you exported, and open it in a text editor. Then search the file for ‘UP’. You are looking for a bit of text that says UP AXIS.
It should be set to Y, just set it to Z, and save the file.

In Blender say import > COLLADA 1.4, and then select the file and import it.

it’ll put it in facing in a funny direction due to the way axis’s are aimed by default in Blender and Maya. All you have to do is make an empty in the same place as the camera, parent the camera to the empty, and then move the empty to the appropriate place for your scene.
(You do this so that the animation on the camera will stay intact)

Good luck and I hope this has helped!
Murphy

<--------------------- !SOLUTION! -------------------------->

Hey Guys,
I’m in a production, and we’re starting to get tight on time. We use maya as our main tool, but decided to use blender for a couple flag animation. The simulation works great with softbody, but here’s my question.

Is there a way to do one of these two things?

1. Bake the softbody animation, and be able to export that in some format to maya? (I would think not)
  2. Find a format I can use to export camera animation and import that camera animation into blender for rendering.

Is that understandable?

Waiting for rescue,
Murphy
Thanks!

Ok, after searching a bit, it seems that a Maya ASCII file would fit the bill exactly, but now I can’t find a way to get a Maya ASCII file into Blender. Grrrr.

This is asking a huge favor, but if there is no plug in, and there is someone out there with a lot of time on their hands, would you mind writing one?

I found this link during my searches, maybe it’ll help:
http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/FileFormats/FileFormats.fm.html

Thanks a billion in advance
Murphy

what about OBJ? Thats a really common format that I think both packages use?

I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure that .OBJ doesn’t include animation or camera data.
thanks though!

What about Collada? I tried it with XSI and it works quite well…

knekke - Thank you so much!
It’s almost working, I have yet to test some more of the camera stuff, and the problem is, whenever I try to export from this scene, maya crashes.
Grr

But your advice was very helpful! thanks so much
Murphy

Ok, for anyone who might in the future be wondering how to do this, I figured out a solution.

Download a COLLADA exporter for Maya, and export your camera (Note: the script seemed to balk when I tried to include meshes, so for now it’s just the camera that I export)
Pretty much you can just use the defaults, don’t use camera as lookat.

Now, find the file you exported, and open it in a text editor. Then search the file for ‘UP’. You are looking for a bit of text that says UP AXIS.
It should be set to Y, just set it to Z, and save the file.

In Blender say import > COLLADA 1.4, and then select the file and import it.

it’ll put it in facing in a funny direction due to the way axis’s are aimed by default in Blender and Maya. All you have to do is make an empty in the same place as the camera, parent the camera to the empty, and then move the empty to the appropriate place for your scene.
(You do this so that the animation on the camera will stay intact)

Good luck and I hope this has helped!
Murphy