Blender in Fedora Core 2

Hello!

I’ve downloaded the Blender 2.34 for Linux, just to see if I can deal workin in Linux, and upon extracting the archive in FC2, I double click to run the application, and nothing happens.

Can any Linux pros help me out?

Try running it from the command line to see what kind of error messages you have.

Depending on what you get you may either have to install glibc 2.2.5 or rebuild it from source.

Kind Regards
Simon Harvey

you need the compat-libstdc++ package, on cd 3.

Ouch…ok. :-?

See, this is my first Linux distro, and I got it in the Linux Format magazine, which came with the first 2 CDs only. If I stay with Linux, i’ll buy the Mandrake distro…

DLing the other 2 CDs is out of the question…i’m on 56K.
Is there a way I can separetly DL and installe that package (if it’s not too big)?

I don’t know if i’m going to stay with Linux anyway (I came over the Windows walls to see if there was a good video edition solution for Linux…Cinerella didn’t sit well with me…and that’s the only one that comes close to Adobe or Vegas…back to Windows…)

Thanks anyway!!!

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm

that’s the package you need. :slight_smile:

Thanks…

But the link seems to be broken… (I went to the ftp://rpmfind.net), and it says it doesn’t exsist…

if you have nvidia you need to install native nvidia drivers to get the dynamic version of Blender to work…if not, try to install those too…

dynamic blender (full 3d hardware acceleration) only works if your gfx card has fully opengl drivers…but static version if blender (for linux) works everytime…sometimes I have needed to make the binary get “run-able” as binary to make it to run or start…and it helped me…

I also use Fedora Core 2, but I am half-newbie to linux but it works quite okey for me :slight_smile:

good luck!

That’s why you should have bought the DVD version of “Linux Format” it contains everything…

Anyway, for downloading various Fedora Core 2 packages, go to:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/

Those compat libraries you’re missing, are there allright…

Why cinellerra doesn’t satisfy you… I find it it’s o.k., allthough not so “user friendly”, but then again even Blender is not so “user friendly” for begginers…

Another video editing program for Linux (allthough not so powerful) is Kino and if you spare some bucks you could buy MainActor… You can have a test drive on MainActor, by downloading it from their site (free download, full featured except from a small whatermark you get in the video you produce) and decide for yourself…

Personally I use MainActor, but I’m considering turning over to cinellerra…