Blender in the game/animation industry?

Hi everyone,
I’ve been using Blender for some time now. Since I would love to take my 3D art to a professional level in order to potentially work in the game/animation industry one day, I was wondering, is Blender enough to get a job in the industry?
What I mean is that I use Blender, Photoshop and Krita everyday, but I don’t know 3DSMax, Maya, Substance or other software, as they are too expensive for me and I feel like Blender is more than enough. But do industries feel the same when looking for job positions, or knowing other software like Maya is a must to get a job?

Maya’s definitely worth knowing. It’s a piece of garbage, but you are pretty much dead in the water if you have absolutely no knowledge over how to use it.

That being said, if you’re just doing freelance or you’re lucky enough to have found a small studio that uses Blender, you’ll be fine with it.

Use cases of blender are increasing exponentially these days, so these studios are gonna be less and less rare.

Also, do yourself a favor and give substance painter a shot. It’s incredible. I wouldn’t use anything else!

I don’t remember a lot of Italy studios, but blender have a piece of the market, I know people using blender in all companies (epic, for example) and the companies don’t have problem with the software that you want to use if you are good. BUt it’s true that other companies have a strong pipeline and only allow maya, max or something.

@xalener that’s what I feared, thanks for your answer. Why do you think Maya is a piece of garbage?
About Substance, I was actually planning to try it sooner or later!
@DeVertice thank you for your answer as well, I think I’ll learn Maya anyway, it is probably going to be useful somehow :slight_smile:

Lots of small indie teams and small studios use Blender with Unity and Unreal. But it’s good to be somewhat software-agnostic, because Maya and Max are used very often too. I agree, Substance Painter is a given to learn, and depending on the type of work you intend to do, zBrush should probably also become part of your tool set. But again, it depends on the studio/team.

Often static asset modelers just use their own preferred tool, and push it into the pipeline further ahead. For modeling and texturing static assets almost all 3d tools will churn out usable deliverables. You just have to learn how to get your Blender assets in Maya or Max, and use the prep tools/workflow used in-house, then export from there. It gets hairier with animated characters, though. That requires a fixed tested pipeline, and is generally software “fixed”.

If you are seriously considering becoming a professional aiming at working on AAA titles, you must learn parts of Maya (not everything by a long shot - modeling, texturing, animating, etc.) and ZBrush. And Substance Painter/Designer.

@Herbert123 Yes, I asked because I saw some open job positions on Artstation and every single one of them had the requirement “know 3DSMax/Maya”. As for Substance Painter and zBrush, as far as I know they’re kind of unique for what they are aimed at, so I suppose I must try them somehow. The only thing that prevents me from learning Maya/zBrush/Substance Painter, honestly speaking, is the price, as I am self taught, so I cannot have an educational license…

Chances are if you are going into an office environment, they’ll be instructing you on their way of doing things, more so for entry-level positions. If you have an outstanding portfolio and can demonstrate good cross-platform/platform agnostic skills then it won’t matter so much which program you’re coming from.

If the job specifically requires certain platform skills then you’ll need to invest in a paid-for commercial license to learn with - there isn’t much you can do to get around it. If you want to be in the field, but aren’t willing to invest in training, licenses, etc. there’s going to be some hard questions about why they should make that investment for you as opposed to someone who has already done so.

The principal problem with from the game industry when they see blender is the lack of support from blender foundation to game artist and studios. It appear that nobody care about other thing that movie makers. They wait that a studio make the effort to use blender and develop tools, and the studios wait that BF make a movement.

Maybe someday blender foundation will understand that the real target in the industry are modelers and not the VFX,… and they try to make a game, not only open movies, and they will see all the problems that with few work they can solve. And who knows… maybe they could win money with the game.

Autodidacts can’t use Autodesk’s Educational Licenses?
You sure about that? And are you sure you care about that?

I wouldn’t.

Yes, you’re right and that’s exactly what I was thinking. This field is competitive enough by itself, I really don’t like to be set aside just for the software I am using…