Blender in the professional world?

Sure if you are not that talented and are looking at a job where your youll be 1 of 50 maya animations. Then go learn maya.

But there are many cases where it dosnt matter what software you use as long the resulting image/animation/3d-model is good, your boss will be happy.

This is my experience and what I have heard from talking to others.
Infact it can even worked the other way and be an advantage - especially when you learn scripting and communicate with developers when you have issues.

Lol, guys, I already know how to use Maya. I’m not trying to “get out” of learning it, and I’ve already used it for a few classes. The issue was selecting whether to use Blender or Maya for modeling a final high-detail character. Since it is possible to import Blender models into Maya, and Blender’s workflow is much more efficient, it would make sense to use Blender for the project so I could spend more time on details on the character.

Still be aware that switching back and forth between blender and another 3D app will be a huge pain:
it can be solved using Autohotkey for instance running from a USB key and made to self detect the one you currently use, but don’t forget to put a panic key to deactivate when someone wants to use your maya session with Blender keys and mouse moves otherwise, they’ll know you’re a freak and either burn or crucify you! :wink:

Just seen Big Bunny here
http://openclipart.org/