Blender Indirect Lightning Render Scene

43 seconds on i7 Q720

@Cekuhnen, the number of cores play a big part, could explain the difference…

edit: 40 seconds! (I changed the acceleration structure to SMID SVBVH and checked local coordinates)

@Cekuhnen
come on, change win windows 7 x64 bit man, xp sucks on i core architecture.
and BTW winxp limits the ram access to 3 gb maximum and and core functionality, it’s not ready for i core cpus, even pentium 4 that i got is better on windows 7, and don’t forget about x64 bit version, i mean what is holding you from going x64, everything works on it.

28 seconds on i7 920.
Really good !
EDIT:
26 seconds with the changes suggested by Gustav.

Mac OS X 10.6.4
2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Blender Build 29578 Render branch
Time:00:43.12 Auto acceleration structure
Time:00:39.31 SIMD SVBVH acceleration structure

Well I missed the Win 7 student price.

And shelling out 100 US $ plus for just win 7
is not in my plan for me right now.

Claas

And shelling out 100 US $ plus for just win 7
is not in my plan for me right now.

you could install ubuntu 10.4 x64 one, will give you the required performance for free

I might kept that as a consideration.
Ubuntu ran fine last time on my system.

bat3a
do you have any info about i chips not performing well with XP
or is that more an assumption of yours?

Just curious.

Um… Wow! that looks promising. I haven’t been keeping up with 2.5 render progress. Do we have nice caustics and refraction yet? And what about motion blur?

caustics not at all as far as I know.

You would appear to be right, but the image of the test scene seems almost like it has a red caustic effect by one of the reflective red shapes, there’s even a pool of red light directly below it, maybe you actually can squeeze caustics out of the GI from time to time?

mh

it rather looks like some sort of color bleeding.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3748/renderbranchtest.jpg

rendered in 3min 19 secs on my intel Quad core, with a few tweaks, there is quite a few errors like reflections not AA’d and light leaking

oh I did not realize that the reflections are not AAed.

mh but still the lighting is so much nicer compared to the old tricks.

oh I did not realize that the reflections are not AAed.

mh but still the lighting is so much nicer compared to the old tricks.

You forgot that bumpmaps can’t be seen by the raytracer as of now in mirrors and through transparent objects.:slight_smile:

I also tried to workaround the black SSS materials bug and still get very good quality by rendering the image at around 2-3 times the size and scale it down in compositing. Then I found out the bug has no workarounds, SSS materials require less GI samples to render as black the bigger the image, so it completely defeats the purpose of doing it.

In fact, what’s the point of having this nice lighting if the high quality full shading option gives you black dots with more than 1 bounce, reflections aren’t anti-aliased, glossy reflections would render as perfect in a reflection of a floor, and bumpmaps can’t be reflected or seen through transparency.

The CGTalk people will try Blender by the load and the Blender thread will be 20 pages on why Blender is snot and why it should be sent to the junkpile.

Or maybe we could all get Modo, as they seem to care about implementing features and actually going the extra mile to make sure you can use them however you want.

Sorry, but until these bugs are fixed, I’ll just continue to get more skeptical of Blender having a real good powerhouse renderer anytime in the future.

If the Blender webteam would just get that donate button in a prominent place on the frontpage, maybe we can finally have a truly professional grade renderer in Blender because of funding from the community.

it is a very nice scene to test with though, and those are bumps+pertile displacments and im sure they will be fixed in due time, personally i can’t wait until the Bxdfs which will allow for radience transfer calculations instead of hack and slash of what it is now

Keep in mind that Blender tries to add something which basically all tools have since years.

So no wonder that CGtalk people think about Blender in a skeptical way.

They are seriously behind the time - but I hope that they will maybe at one point be able
to focus on the render engine itself.

Most of blenders infrastructure is done now.

Render branch is very well done, so far.
Fastest time I got was 34.76s on my Q6600 OC’d to 2.92GHz with 4GB ram on win7 x64.
non render branch took over 10 minutes, and didn’t look nearly as good.
Rendering at 720p as mfoxx did took 2:01.33, but no light leaks. (using render25 SVN 29611 64bit).

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/2998 the file i am using, added a transparent cone as it too has big issues

They have it not by developing it, but by integrating external tools – like 3DS Max and Mental Ray. Or they can simply buy a renderer from another company.

Things don’t work that way in open source projects, which are developed separately and independently. but would be damn nice if Blender devs would just take yafaray source code and link to it directly… :stuck_out_tongue:

of course, that is not happening: different priorities and mindsets. And most importantly: nobody wants to take responsability for code from other people and give maintenance… :stuck_out_tongue:

So the best course of action is to simply use the right tool for the job. If BI doesn’t cut it, just choose an external one.

Is this a blackmail attempt?
I think you should take it easy. Freaking out every time you stumble upon a bug cannot be good for your health when you use software that is in development.