Blender is FASTER than itself :-)

I run an interesting experiment last night …
A little while ago, I switched to Ubuntu and loved the Beryl deco so much that it was an easy decision to become a convert for goooooood :slight_smile:

While browsing graphicall.org, I couldn’t help but notice that most builds were made for Windows so my brain started thinking (rare event) and I downloaded the latest build and run it in Crossover Linux … just to see.

To my surprize!!! every windows built I installed run about 15% faster than the native Linux built. If anyone has access to CrossoverOffice (or Crossover Linux) and a few minutes, give it a try. The windows versions of blender look and behave great and so far, each one I installed, runs stable. I’ll test this further and hope that others could confirm this accidental discovery :slight_smile:

Q: How to render a 7 minute animation in less than 3 hours?
A: Use a windows version of blender on a FAST beast running Linux :slight_smile:
http://www.vga-studio.com/ab/blender_supercomputer.jpg

Uh,
do you ever come out? :]
P

NO way man, I live in front of that thing. but my laptop is connected to the net so all my social interaction is here on blenderartists and the pizza place who lets me set their menu listing as my home page :wink:

oh man thats pretty sad :wink:

but indeed interesting that the windows builds are faster on your system.

is it maybe the linux is set up in a way that it slows down blender or maybe the
linux builds aren’t as optimized? I don’t know.

I have been wanting to ‘cross over’ to Linux, but I do most of my work on a laptop that is only 1 gig processor with 1/2 gig ram I have a partition with Suse on it, but Blender runs much slower than on the xp partition.

I just run it in “wine” and same thing … so crossover office/linux isn’t even needed (as long as you don’t want to use photoshop in linux)

This is so cool … I can use all the latest versions from graphicall and run faster than Speedy Gonzales :slight_smile:

I think it’s all about optimization.

Graphicall’s optimized builds are faster than the official builds. Therefore Graphicall’s Windows builds are faster than Official Linux builds. A fairer comparison would be to compare an optimized Linux build, right?

knellotron,
I agree but it was the task of hunting down optimized builds that would run best on an AMD X2 5000+ machine (this is what I model on) that made me curious in the first place.

I run a new test and the version of blender that comes with Ubuntu (2.42a?) is as fast as the optimized windows one, but the 2.43 from blender.org is not. The difference on a two minute render is about 20%

OK, back to work!

Working on gentoo I tend to use portage with the compiler settings stolen from the Blendernation article - which speeds things up a lot, however until 2.43 enters portage I’m stuck with the slow version from Blender.org, so this could be useful…

That said I’m a lazy, lazy person - so I’ll probably use the slow version until portage chugs up to date…

(Currently using Beryl with the nvidia composite and it so far has thrown up absolutely no unsolvable problems with programs or devices (XGL killed my Wacom pressure sensitivity) - very pleased with the results!)

Alex

Nice setup man. I especially digg that keyboard. New keyboards these days are crap.

Thanks,
but right now it doesn’t look so nice as the desk is full of CDs and papers and books and all kinds of cases and markers, pens … junk
The keyboard has a “red” F12 button! how cool is that?
My favorite is the Logitech mouse because she still has all 3 buttons. YAY!

I’m having a hard time setting the yafray path and it will take a while to get up to speed with Linux. For some reason, the linux version of blender crashes when I use yafray and the windows version has not been set up fully because I didn’t know how stable that would be.

All times are of a personal scene all on the same machine…

Ubuntu + Blender.org Build
4:18.21

Windows + Blender.org Build
3:43.68

Wine + Blender.org Build
3:43.36

Windows + Optimized Build
2:55.67

Wine + Optimized Build
2:52.75

Ubuntu + Optimized Build
2:19.26

:cool:

Damn that is some weird results :stuck_out_tongue:

Most of this is due to the fact that the Linux Builds are using gcc. icc (Intel) is the fastest compile (costs a bundle), and msvc isn’t much slower, and I think most of the windows builds use it. Now if we could only get a icc compiled version of Blender for linux, that should beat any of these results.

I agree, this resumes what I think from years ago: unoptimized packages
(from original repository) are too slow because they need to be compatible
with very old machines. In fact, one of the main reason for which amd64 branchs
are much faster is that they cut out compatibility.

In the end, if you’re using a linux distro which installs precompiled packages
(about all but gentoo or slackware), you would do better to compile yourself
the performance critical packages, expecially if you use x86 branch.

Please look better, this is due to unoptimization, when optimized linux native
versions are faster… often even than windows optimized versions.

:eyebrowlift2: I ain’t surprised at all. Why? Because I use the godamforsaken penguin OS everyday. At work. And I loathe ot everyday. And you know what? This OS is powerful. This OS is stable. This OS is absolutely user friendly. If you don’t mind spending time tweaking it.

Tweaking is the key. Right out of the box, the Ubuntu might not be as well optimized than your casual Windows XP.

A lot of awful .txt, .conf, .rc and stuffs to read… and grumpy guru a**holes who think it is evident and send you to read the INSTALL or check the .configure stuffs.

:eyebrowlift2: Not exactly what you need when you want some job done out of the box eh?

Last time I used Linux, it was for Maya. I spent an awful lot of time tweaking, messing, configuring, asking, because I was sure Maya could run faster on Linux. :slight_smile:

Then I ended up with a machine that would work at average speed, but had no wacom, no scanner, and didn’t recognize my digitalcam (textures).

But I was happy, Maya was running on my linux box ! (installed and compiled like a mf, openGL, mesa etc…). The wacom and scanner could come next. Maya was alive !

But the thing is, Maya on Windows runned faster that Maya on Linux. That day, I decided Linux was not for me. Linux might seems attractive, but for now, I consider it as a hacker and slacker OS.

Hacker because it requires skills I don’t posess naturally (like editing .rc files with Ed or Vi using my feet) and slacker because you have the impression you achieve a lot of thing when you installed what you need for it to work only to see the guy on windows or mac finishing the project they where assigned.

So no. I am not surprised at all. Quite the contrary, I am surprised anyone never mentionned that before.

But I still stand by my commend that gcc’s sse optimizations stink compared to msvc and icc. Maybe I’ll just have to compile a version for the fun of it…

About the Linux vs. Windows thing, it comes down to this. Windows is great for users that like to administrate their own computer, and don’t mind putting up with all it’s quirks. Linux on the other hand is great for system admins who know what their doing. Linux may take longer to get running, but once it’s configured, it can run for years (literally) without issues. Setup time vs admin time.

“A lot of awful .txt, .conf, .rc and stuffs to read… and grumpy guru a**holes who think it is evident and send you to read the INSTALL or check the .configure stuffs.”

Well, if you came to them with this attitude, I wouldn’t be surprised to find them grumpy.

I’ve tried to install Ubuntu 4 times now. It’s like a mountain and every so often I try again. Friends tell me I’m smart but it kicks my butt every time. Last time I managed to get pretty far, but even after I got blender up and running, the interface was 10x slower than windows, every model I had chugged around when I panned in the view.

I also don’t know how to compile programs, I honestly don’t even understand the basic concept. I could only install packages that were in the online package installer thing and when I tried to do what I think was compiling, I ended up having to google search these libraries it asked for, download and put them in, over and over and over. I started in on a Gimp and after having to look up 11 or so libraries and it was still asking for more, I gave up.

It actually fun trying to figure all that stuff out, but the point you realize that you’ve tried for 4 days to get something to run when it would have taken less than 1 minute on your windows… that’s pretty hard to swallow.