Blender is so slow!!!

Yup, that`s true, actually meine Muttersprache ist English (AE) und meine Vatersprache Deutsch, leb aber in Deutschland und kann deshalb besser Deutsch als English…

Aber ich hab da was rausgefunden … als ich den ATI Catalyst 3.10 drauf hatte ging alles wie geschmiert … aber jetzt habe ich den 4.3 er drauf … könnte wirklich sein das es daran liegt …?

I found out somthing … When I had my ATI card running on the 3.10 Catlyst driver , everything worked fine and now I have the 4.3 installed …

But I dont want to put the old one back on, because the games fps arent as fast wioth it …

any Ideas

Irgendwelche Ideen

???

TNX MFG

Glawie

Sorry to drop into the discussion. I just bought a brand new computer (Athlon 3000+, 512 Mb, ATI All in Wonder 9800 SE) so I feel concerned by the troubles with ATI cards. :wink:

[!] I don’t use the latest catalyst drivers and with XP, everything runs smoothly for more than 20 mn. I haven’t tried more, since I’m a Linux user, I just tried to have my own opinion on the matter. But concerning the fact it’s the problem of Microsoft and not ATI’s, i’m afraid that I don’t agree with you: the TunerTV of the AIW9800 works fine with DirectX9.a, but you loose all sound with DirectX9.b. The trouble has been adressed to Microsoft, they recognize there’s a trouble because of them, and they are actually working on the matter (patch or new release of DirectX pending).

[>] What could be intersting for the XP users would be to downgrade DirectX9.b back to DirectX9.a and see if there’s still this trouble of slowdown. If no, it would appear clearly it’s probably Microsoft fault. If yes, the trouble would probably be ATI’s fault.

Stop to pointless arguing about anyone’s fault. No software or driver is perfect for everybody at the first time. My point of view is biased because I’m a Linux user, but I think thak with nowadays distros, it’s (almost) as easy to change from Microsoft to Linux as changing from Microsoft to Apple; after some adaptation, everything runs smoothly… Claiming the contrary is only maintaining the myth that Linux is ONLY for advanced users. I’m not an expert of any sort, and I do farely well with Linux, so I wonder other couldn’t? :expressionless:

Here’s for my two cents… :slight_smile:
OlivS

Another long thread about this topic?
All the time Blender doesn’t work correctly ATI cards are involved. As it has been stated many times, this is due to the weak 2d GL support.

There are cases where ATI cards work with Blender, but that seems to be rather an exception.

I cannot count on how many machines I installed Blender or have given support to, so let me say this:

Save time and nerves and get an nVidia card. ATI seems to be good for gaming, so you might be able to sell the ATI for a good price.

Well I was not meaning to suggest that Linux is for advanced only, I use Mandrake which is extremely user friendly, but for some reason the Linux use hasn’t become as widespread as window’s is. Maybe it’s just that people don’t trust open source… who knows…

Oh, and I’m not sure I know much about the AIW9800, my old card was one of those in the “TV Wonder” family of products. I use a Hauppauge TV-Tuner now :slight_smile:

Of course, a fragmented hard drive is totally related to bad OpenGL performance, I perfectly agree. 8)

And if people used more advanced operating systems with file systems that don’t need defragmenting, that problem would be solved anyway :wink:

All the DirectX talk is totally ridiculous since Blender uses OpenGL.

Martin

Yup, that`s true, actually meine Muttersprache ist English (AE) und meine Vatersprache Deutsch, leb aber in Deutschland und kann deshalb besser Deutsch als English…

I’m also living in Germany although I was born in the United Kingdom. I’ve been in Germany for almost 3 years now and through out I’ve learned quite a lot of German although I can’t write that well in German :-?

Anyway about Blender running slow. It looks like you’ll have to make a decision between Blender and gaming for now. I think it’s more important for you to make progress with Blender and start with some projects. I always try and make the productive decisions in life :wink:

Ich wünsche dir einen schönen Tag noch

Jon

theeth wrote

All the DirectX talk is totally ridiculous since Blender uses OpenGL.

Martin

Mr (I-Know-It-All) strikes again. Let’s all prais his knowledge and ask for forgiveness for being so wrong. %|

I am Mr. Know-it-all. Theeth is just a cheath, err, cheap copy :wink:

I see :expressionless:

I thought you were Mr Smiling-butt-with-the-blue-light? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin

I thought you were Mr Smiling-butt-with-the-blue-light? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin[/quote]

Hey guys…

Calm down okay. …

lets try to focus on my problem, and not on other peoples pictures …

What do you think about this …: I`ll specify my problem a bit and you freaks can try to post as many answers as you can … set??

Okay here I come:

I guess we can stop blaming the poor ATI graphics card because thats not the problem … BECAUSE:

I had Windows 98 running with the same graphics card, and Blender worked fine …

okay next … there isn`t any problem when I start an animation (ALT A)
, it runs smoothly…!!

NO Problem to render anything …

The problem is, that when I for example want to add an image texture, I open the Window where I can add an Image, and the programm gives me the thumbnails of the 400 textures I´ve got in that directory, and after such a thing blender slows down (not the only cause!!) … … . … and now dont say ... oh, its the memory wich is full, because I checked that … I have still got about 200 free memory and Blender is still slow.

Ok now Ill specify the slow`

:: I right click on a mesh … and it takes about 5 seconds or so until it gets pinkl…

:: I want to change (for example) from material window to texture window, and have to wait very long until the new one comes up … (It`s like it doesnt have any cache left … but the memory is still free)

… I can say, something seems to fill up with the time, but I can tell you that its not the RAM! (Maybe the cache???)

I hope you guys aren`t sick and tired of me wanting to get an solution … but please try to give some ideas… or ask me more…

TNX

Glawie

Why would people even think that Blender uses DirectX? In my previous post I said that Blender works fine with XP with OTHER VIDEO CARDS, so obviously it’s a video card or a driver problem. Oh and they work fine under linux. So it’s ATI’s windows driver problem. How many times does this have to be said over and over in this forum?

Search the forums instead of posting right away. ATI users have done lots of testing and experimenting to get working results, and this discussion has been repeated too many times!

Another thing. The image selector (with the preview) is known to be buggy, which is why it was hidden in the latest version. Use it at your own risk. It should slow the interface though, it should merely crash.

Martin

Hmm, Sure, but now that you are running WinXP, you’re also using a different driver, correct?

It would seem to be due to something in ATI’s OpenGL driver not “meshing” with something in Blender. (That’s Obvious, I hear you say :wink: )

Maybe it’s best to report the problem to them.

There was a thread over at blender.org related to problem/solutions? that people using Blender with the current ATI drivers have been experiencing.

A person shouldn’t have to go digging into the registry to correct or adjust something that should take just a mouse click in the driver software (I am speaking in terms of the low/non-technical users).

the trick is to use Catalyst Ver 3.5.

All other versions 3.6 -4.3 (current) exhibit the same problem of slowdown, gradual stickyness, scene/rotational slowwwwww.

3.5 is a significantly more streamlined driver (6.0mbs or less?), seems the drivers and packages have got a lot more bloated lately.

i have contacted ATI, so who knows, they may fix it in 4.4? their control panel is also terrible. i would also recommend finding ASIOTYPE reg setting in the registry, under your driver version, which will be 3.5. try turning it to ‘0’ (off), as opposed to ‘1’ (apllication pref). Blender does not turn off Anti-aliasing by default. that’s just what i’ve found. it seems a bit snappier when it’s off.

no amount of registry trickery can solve the current ATI problem with the opengl driver. ATI will have to sort it out. :expressionless:

it should also be observed that WINGS3d (anyversion) does not have any 3d opengl problems, with the mention drivers. it’s more than likely poor/buggy 2d opengl support, as i believe someone mentioned this earlier.

ta.
j.

Yes, the problem is only with 2D openGL, which is why people always say “it can’t be the graphic, I play recent games without any problems.”
It’s always why Wing3D has less problems (AFAIK, it doesn’t use 2D openGL for the whole interface).

Martin

Well I guess I`ll have to solve the problem choosing between the ATI XP graphic drivers on my own …

Thanx anyway for having to put up with me for so long… … . :expressionless:

Really very nice Forum… I guess I`ll visit it more often …

Thanx

Glawie

--------------------------------- Topic Closed -------------------------------------