Blender is still the best..

Aside from the whole new BA forum layout (wow!). I was just checking to see about a question someone had using models and shading and … found this.

http://www.uthynq.com//Blender/Images/Alternates.jpg

It’s always nice to see Blender is first.

Yay! go blender!

but someone doesn’t like 3ds Max: http://alternativeto.net/software/3ds-max/comments

the thing is if blender were at the bottom…I don’t think it would hinder development at this point…so…yay blender, but at the same time…whatever. All in all it is still a happy day when your team wins.

Tbh the current version of 3ds Max (2011) is an unusable piece of crap. I don’t know any professional 3D artist who doesn’t hate it.

However for the new version (2012) Autodesk actually listened to their customers and improved Max to be a f***ing beast so the opinion of Blender will probably be a lot lower now that Autodesk is releasing their 2012 package unfortunately :<

Yep, crawling around the web I read many positive feedback about 3DS Max 2012. Most of all viewport navigation speed with heavy meshes.

Tbh the current version of 3ds Max (2011) is an unusable piece of crap. I don’t know any professional 3D artist who doesn’t hate it.
i know that all hate it BUT they use it because it has a full tools set, comparing to blender which all love even autodesk guys ;), is used less due to it’s lack of a full set tools.

However for the new version (2012) Autodesk actually listened to their customers and improved Max to be a f***ing beast so the opinion of Blender will probably be a lot lower now that Autodesk is releasing their 2012 package unfortunately :<
i don’t think it will be much better, this app is in need of refactor.

3DS Max may have gotten a lot better as of recent, but some people, as I read, are still asking Autodesk to abandon Mental Ray in favor of more modern GI engines like Vray (partly due to the major complexity of MR’s GI settings and the speed being slow compared to other engines like Vray).

If the Blender devs. can work on allowing rendering addons to make full use of the material and texture node systems then there’s a decent chance the opinion of Blender wouldn’t change much as people wouldn’t have to fake GI using the Blender Internal engine if they’re doing something that needs both GI and very complex material setups.

It is. Much MUCH better.

Here is a video comparing Max 2011 to 2012.

And here’s a video from the same guy reviewing some of Max 2012’s features more throughly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxwWKBy4gU.

I am actually excited about this release for the first time since 2009.

I wish Blender would revise the redraw algorithm, it would be sweet if it could handle a couple more polygons than it currently can so we could use the sculpt tools to their fullest potential :slight_smile:

Just making youtube clips visible on thread.

From what I can distill from marketing jargon, Max is undergoing a refactor. But unlike 2.5 they are refactoring several key parts per version, not all at once. Of course the difference between that and simply calling it improvement over several versions becomes a blurry line.

newtek tried to do it the same way, but in the end still had to just buckle down and create LW 10…I’m quite surprised with both max2012 and LW this year…

As I said before, BI renders looks like something rendered in real time.
The 3Ds Max viewport looks like something rendered in BI… :confused: