Blender Launcher [Standalone Software Client]

Hi, it was 1.3 version on blender mint mate 19.03, the file was downloaded extracted then right click /permissions/allow executing file as program. then i run it and nothing happens not even a error message, and no trace of something happening.

I think you should try to run it from bash, it should show some trace.
Maybe there is something missing from environment.
@Juso3D could you suggest something? It weird that on your side it working well.

Thanks for the quick response, i just switched to Linux, any hint on how can i make that Bash? thanks!

Def. gonna try this one out.

Is there a copy Add-on’s to different versions option?
Not to long ago I had a problem after installing a newer blender version and migrating add-on’s from previous version via the start-up menu. After uninstalling previous Blender version, the add-ons didn’t appear in the newer version.

I’ve been told that a solid solution for this would be copying it manually from blenders pref. folder.
So if a option could be added to copy add-ons from a selected version to a selected version that would be awesome!!

1 Like

here is the message i got after bash:
~$ ‘/home/render/Downloads/Blender Launcher’
[6861] Error loading Python lib ‘/tmp/_MEIyu2vT8/libpython3.8.so.1.0’: dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29’ not found (required by /tmp/_MEIyu2vT8/libpython3.8.so.1.0)

(google helped me understand the bash thingy.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Now I get what is broken - the GLIBC on your OS is lower version than required by Blender Launcher.
There is three ways to go with this problem:

1. Upgrade the GLIBC, however it is mostly impossible…
  2. Upgrade to newer OS version
  3. I will find time to manage and build Blender Launcher with lower GLIBC version

I’m having the same problem on Linux Mint - when I try to open the file, nothing happens. I’ve enabled permissions. Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

1 Like

Thanx for report!
@Nahotnoj, @Crikster, @Juso3D could you please provide installed version of GLIBC by using this command:

ldd --version

EDIT:

Ok, it doesn’t seem like a reasonable thing to do.
At my side I will need to use an older Linux version to build an app…
:expressionless:

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for feedback!
As far as I understand you used executable file or something like steam to install Blender. So, after uninstalling it via actual uninstaller, prefs gone.
I can’t really promise such functionality, depends on time. Blender Launcher downloads portable builds so there is no way to accidentally delete/override prefs by using it. At last, it is always a good practice to have a backup of prefs somewhere.

Man that would be extremely awesome, sadly version 20 of linux is a little problematic to install too. i spent 3 days testing linux mint 20 and its a p. i .t a. and honestly i got addicted to the launcher, which btw works flawlesly in 20 but… nvidia drivers doesnt feel the same. and breaks havoc in the configuration.

Hi, amazing work, I think this is actually one of my most used programs.
Anyway, I just got a new computer with ubuntu 20 and for some reason, the launcher doesn’t launch on startup, so I need to reopen it every time I close\open my computer.

Right now I don’t know when Linux builds will be live because everything just got badly broken since I started to mess with this GLIBC issue. It is super time consuming to support this builds, hope to get it work around next week…
Linux just hates me :roll_eyes:

Hi!
How do you added it to startup? I think the official way is this one https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/startup-applications.html.en

Well, the thing is, I used to use your older version of this app (the version manager) and I remember there was an option (within the app) to lunch it on startup.
So I thought it would work the same.
I sure I can do it in the OS itself (thnx for the link :slight_smile:).
I just thought it would work without doing anything else.

Managed to build it with glibc 2.23, so at least 5-6 year old systems should be supported.
Not an official release, but can be tested from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pA-2-Ffey2xZYUCWX-STl-RGUrRf6yek/view?usp=sharing

you are the man!, now it works!! thanks man!!

any chance to launch a blender version with console opened in linux from blender launcher?

Blender Launcher 1.4.0 released!

Fixed:

• Linux stable builds do not recognized as downloaded
  • Windows shortcuts loses icon after system restart

New:

• Use GLIBC-2.23 to support 5-6 year old Linux systems
  • Use official Blender .desktop file conventions on Linux
  • Show notification and ‘New’ label when build download finished
  • Show notification and ‘New’ label when new builds available
  • Use alternate colors in lists
  • Add “Reload Library Folder Content” button to settings for refreshing builds [WIP]
2 Likes

Hi!
Well, I think I already said it somewhere…
The thing is that for some reason launching blender on Linux with console via python not an easy task.
Will check this out again, but no promises :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Great start to this tool! I think it would be much more useful if it could also create the config folder and migrate settings (maybe not automatically) and addons as well. One could select one install of Blender then the next and click migrate. As it stands, it is just saving me a visit to blender.org. I would still need to create the config folder and add my settings, addons etc manually. I’m on Linux and even the “show folder” option doesn’t open the file browser, instead it’s opening VS Code.

1 Like