Blender Launcher [Standalone Software Client]

Hi!

Technically BL have a basic support for macOS that was developed a couple of months ago (you can get source code and try to run it). However, due to using a VM I can’t accelerate GPU and do a proper debug. There is other issues as well, so can’t say when I will go back to it.

Could you add default colored blender icon too in taskbar and sys tray?

Hi!

According to the official rules I don’t have permission to do so

Oh thats unfortunate, how about this I made a colored version of your design would that be alright? You have all the rights to use it or not.
Blender version manager color

While I appreciate you work for icon, I don’t see any good reason to use it, especially considering that tray is small and should be readable and subtle at the same time.
If it really bothers you, build BL from source using any icon you like. DM me if you need help with it.

1 Like

:sparkles: Blender Launcher 1.14.0 is live on GitHub and Gumroad! :sparkles:

Thanks everyone for feedback, bug reports and support! :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Hi, I got an Error when I try to build it

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pc/SourceCode/Blender-Launcher/source/main.py”, line 9, in
from windows.main_window import BlenderLauncher
File “/home/pc/SourceCode/Blender-Launcher/source/windows/main_window.py”, line 25, in
from pynput import keyboard
File “/home/pc/.local/share/virtualenvs/Blender-Launcher-EC6rEcTZ/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pynput/init.py”, line 40, in
from . import keyboard
File “/home/pc/.local/share/virtualenvs/Blender-Launcher-EC6rEcTZ/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pynput/keyboard/init.py”, line 31, in
backend = backend(name)
File “/home/pc/.local/share/virtualenvs/Blender-Launcher-EC6rEcTZ/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pynput/_util/init.py”, line 76, in backend
raise ImportError(‘this platform is not supported: {}’.format(
ImportError: this platform is not supported: (“failed to acquire X connection: No module named ‘Xlib’”, ModuleNotFoundError(“No module named ‘Xlib’”))

Try one of the following resolutions:

• Please make sure that you have an X server running, and that the DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly

I am Using Linux (Endeavour OS), I wonder if this can be fixed? Is it like a missing library or something?

Hi!
Well, it looks like your environment is missing the Xlib, try something like this (or google for other options):

sudo apt-get install python3-xlib

hmm Im using Arch Based, and it seems like I can only find xlib for python2 using yay / pacman

Ok i fixed it by pip install python3-xlib

Not sure if it is a proper way to fix it but it seems like it work

I hope it doesnt screw things

1 Like

Any idea why my download tab are empty? it seems the apps can’t connect to blender build bot, the issue starting to show up when i’m updating to 1.14.0, and somehow downgrading it also doesn’t fixed it.

https://github.com/DotBow/Blender-Launcher/issues/100

3 Likes

Ah i see, i’ll reply on the github then.

2 Likes

Hey, unless I missed something, the way I update blender is mostly remove, then install. What do you think about adding an ‘update’ button to reduce several clicks? It could update specific branches (e.g. blender 3.0 alpha)

EDIT: There’s also another aspect of deleting shortcut, then adding another one for new downloaded build.

4 Likes

Hi,

Is it possible to get a download rate / remaining info bar of some sorts,

Downloading from Blender is slow for me and would be good to see if it’s still downloading or if it’s just hanging there.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi!

I think it possible to introduce a simple concept of “update” button (not the automatic updating)

@Juso3D Hi! Is there any specific reason that it is slow?

I think it’s just the where blender has their mirror set to, ever since the DDoS attack they got last year, I now get extreme slow speeds, 70KB - 250KB/s etc (take up to 1hr+ to download), I’m downloading from Australia.

Screenshot 2021-10-17 022254

Sometimes it will just stay here without any info if it’s still downloading
Screenshot 2021-10-17 022645

Started to use Blender via Steam, since I found they have 3.0 alpha via beta channel (5.8Mbps), though updates ain’t 100% sync compared to the download site, and no other experimental builds, only daily.

1 Like

I"d like the option to have certain branches always auto-download as soon as they’re available so I can just wake up to the latest version.

1 Like

Sounds weird, maybe it is worth contacting administrator about this situation. Does speed the same when downloading directly from site?

Same over here in NZ. Not sure why. I still prefer using blender launcher over steam/blender.org, it’s just odd is all.