Blender Material Preview Scenes (1.1)

looks great! I like this a lot! I’m wondering if you could maybe set up some UV coordinates though.

Fantastic work !
The pdf is very impressive !

Now this needs a proper support and diffusion for it to be widely used…
This has to be "officialized " somehow. I mean: links in the wiki, included with future releases etc…

great work tuqueque, that’s professional test scenes, thank you very much… gonna try it during weekend… :smiley:

Thanks again for all your kind words :)… much appreciated!

I’d like to, but i have to admit i’m still learning Blender and UV mapping is something i need to explore in the near-mid future!.. but don’t worry, UV mapping is in the to-do list (along with a fur testing scene and maybe a volumetrics one)… b.m.p.s. will evolve with Blender’s development and will be “actively” improved… one thing though, next version won’t happen in the next 6 months or something like that… i have to get back some real outside live again ;)… and proyecto tuqueque needs some love too.

:yes:… but take your time…

Ultra Thanks dude.
But wow, it just shows how much slower Blender Raytracer has become.
Gold 30 min… Yeash…

… and Gold is one of the fastest… try the Rubber and you will cry :(… (around 10 hours on my Athlon 3500+ machine)

I’m praying for devs to put some serious work on the raytracer in the next months.

10… Ugh… Glad it’s not just me then. Yikes…!

DLing…

So what is this? New previews (like you can see it affect suzanne, a cube, and know theses guys?)

DLed…

Still don’t get it :smiley:

Read the Documentation…

Just kidding, great stuff :smiley:

Sorry for another edit :slight_smile: theres a typo on page 2 (right?). you put appens instead of happens. thought you may wanna know

Thanks a lot for sharing your hard work!!!

tuqueue, these preview scenes are simply beautiful!

I really like it you’re using gamma correction as well, it makes the scene look so much more realistic. This is great stuff to show people what gamma correction can do for one’s work. The resulting renders actually scream “we were not rendered with Blender!” to me. It’s awesome how such simple corrections can do such great work at enhancing realism.

Thanks for letting me know… was in page 3 though ;)… i just corrected it, repacked it and updated the download link :slight_smile:

One more question. Can anyone get it to work with Yafaray?

thanks a lot tuqueque! I’ve spent a few months trying to figure out how to apply gamma correction, and finally you made it clear to me, thanks!

First thanks,
second, i am curious…

Did you make those too/did they use yours or did you “got inspired” by those?

http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/

Hey, just an idea for the logo/preview thing, you should do the first one Red, the second one Green, and the third one Blue…like RGB.
Instead of being just gray, it would add a nice touch of color.

I see you’re using the gamma correction method. This method makes the original blender material preview appear darker than how you want the actual material to look. In a thread that I started about gamma correction N30N made a pynode that enabled the gamma correction on materials to appear only at render time so that the material previews would stay looking how you want them to look.

The thread is here if you are interested in the pynode:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136555

You might find it helpful; although I ran into problems using it when I tried to do some compositing. Unfortunately nobody tried to help me solve the problem at the end of the thread.

Your renders look great anyway. I have to say I struggled a lot trying to get the gamma correction workflow to give me good results. I found that any darkish materials, eg. a chocolate brown colour, were hard to retrieve after gamma correction. Meaning that they tended to look almost black even after the reverse 0.45 gamma correction in the compositor. I also found that my shadows always seemed to look washed out.

So just to let people know that gamma correction workflow isn’t easy to achieve, although the results can look more realistic.

Your preview scene is a hundred times too heavy !

Nice work, nice meshes, but a preview scene should be lightweight, no ?

The test renders I made using RAY are a much too long to build and heavy in the memory for a preview scene I think.

Just to be honest …

Delic, this depends of your definition of preview…

Here, it is meant as a detailed view of how the material acts/looks prior to you downloading and using it.
It does NOT mean “show a quicky render of what is approximately looks like”

It’s more 'try-before-you buy" than “trailer”. Both offer a ‘preview’ of the actual article

Yes, I know that, showing final render look of the material.
But even then its too heavy in my opinion …

Imagine you make a site where materials are uploaded, automatically rendered and thumnailed, displayed in categories …

Great work anyway …