Blender Model Database

(humphrey) #1

What I think the Blender community needs is a central model database. A place where blender users can submit the blender models too so other people can use them in there work.
At school I learnt that if something has allready be done, it’s a waste of time redoing it. I can see a lot of time been saved if there was an online database of blender models at our disposal.
Image how much quicker we could create a dinning room for instance?

I think elsiun would be the perfect place for such a database because it has so many users.

Humphrey

(Grimmis) #2

That’s something the Blender Community is lacking right now, a source of objects and models for Blender.

I’m aware of B5 models for Blender, but it’s the only one I know of at this time.

(Bapsis) #3

At school I learnt that if something has allready be done, it’s a waste of time redoing it.

Ouch, i would say pick another school!!! :wink:

How are you supposed to learn to do something? Sure that philosophy works great if you just want to use someone elses models in your work, but to REALLY make it your work i see no problem with doing something that has been done before. It’s never a waste of time to learn how to do something yourself, it just expands your skills and abilities, and there is nothing wrong with doing that.
I mean, if you wanted to model something that had never been modeld before, it would be awfully hard to find that item. :wink:

Matt

Blend on, and blend well!!!

(humphrey) #4

yeah… I know what ya mean, I’ve created heaps of stuff that has been created before and I’ve learn’t heaps… But If you need to create a scene on a dining room for instance, than you would be there for ages making all the ornaments, and the heaters, and the lightglobes…
Yeah sure it’s great to make stuff yourself (I do it ALL of the time, how else would you learn??), but sometimes it’s just a pain in the neck making stuff you know you don’t have too!!!

(S68) #5

There WAS a blender model database, on old www.blender.nl site.

It had few nice models, but in the time I was around no new model were added.

It is a very complex task, analogous to a centralization of tutorials, and needs lots of disk space and bandwidth.

Personally I think it might be a good idea, even if most artist prefear to work on their own, maybe getting inspiration, rather than taking pre-made models.

In any case this is not a topic for this forum, so here you go to the Chat forum :slight_smile:

Stefano

(Jamesk) #6

Didn’t SysAdm keep some sort of model repository as well? I seem to have forgotten his URL, but if you can find it… Dunno if he stills keeps that thing alive. Haven’t seen him around here for a very long time.

Anyways, though it’s a good idea, I feel that A) I personally don’t like to use ready-made stuff, neither models nor textures e t c, and B) if I spend a lot of time making a really good model, I wouldn’t want to give it away to someone else when I’m done. We’d end up with just a collection of semi-decent mods, since people will not submit their best things… But that’s just me. A helluva lot of ppl might very well prove me wrong :smiley:

Just my two euros.

(mthoenes) #7

I think it is an excellent idea. Even if we get a bunch of basic stuff. I recently did some previsualisation work for a dinner theater, it was sure handy to go to 3D cafe and grab some furniture for the set. It would have been great to have it available as blend files and save the conversion time.

I agree the best place for it would be at elysiun and I volunteer to put some effort into it. in the mean time, I will create some space on my site to get it started.

In the spirt of Open Source, I recommend we put no restrictions on the use of the models. If you want to sell models, or rescrict thier use, you can do that through www.turbosquid.com. It is also essential that the models are original work and/or permission has been granted to distribute the model.

This would be my list of of needs for model submissions:
url of model file (pack file if it includes image textures):
url of model render (320 x240, RGB jpeg):
(Optionally, you could email the model and pic to me at [email protected] - I have limited space though, so no huge files please - use the url method for those.)
title of model:
description:
name or handle of submitter:
email address of submitter:
(email would not be displayed on site - just to clarify any issues related to the model)
web site of submitter (if you would like a link displayed):

Like I said, this would be a start. I currently have about 30MB available to host such a model bank, eventually, it would be great to set up an automated submission process, but for the time being I could start it manually. If some one else would like to give it a go, that’s fine too.

mthoenes
www.creationanimation.com

(mthoenes) #8

Here is a sample starter setup…
http://home.att.net/~holywordkids/modelarchive.html

I recommend using IE 5 (Not sure how higher versions respond)
I included a realtime view for fun… If you still have the latest blender plugin loaded. IE 5 worked fine for me. Netscape 4.7 worked also, but crashes when you leave the page with the plugin…

(CubeFan973) #9

My 0 cents (don’t have any money that I can spend on replies :smiley: )

Grabbing models off the Internet can save some time. But it lacks your artistic styles. If I downloaded a model of a decent head, placed it on the main character of an animation, and modeled everyone else, he’d look out of place around weird-looking heads. (unless, of course, that’s the goal.)

Also, if someone says, “You can use this for private stuff, but no commercial stuff,” then I wonder if someone would go and move a vertex about 0.002 grid units so that he can say he modeled it.

The model depository thing would work only if A: We had it divided into sections where you can use this, but another section you can’t, or B: Every model, once posted, is public domain, and anyone with the Open Source can use it. Yeah, yeah, it’s “resource,” but I’ve got to keep it Blendery, don’t I?

Actually, I posted an idea similar to this, except it was a bunch of starter models built into Blender. I’ve got to check to see the replies to that…

(mthoenes) #10

CubeFAn973 said

The model depository thing would work only if A: We had it divided into sections where you can use this, but another section you can’t, or B: Every model, once posted, is public domain, and anyone with the Open Source can use it. Yeah, yeah, it’s “resource,” but I’ve got to keep it Blendery, don’t I?

I agree 100%. The idea of not being able to use the models in commercial projects makes most of them useless to me. I can certainly handle giving credit to the models author, That is fair.

If I build a model library, the criteria will be, please credit the model’s author in your project and do not resell these FREE models in your own model collection.

(humphrey) #11

Yeah… I think I agree with that…
I don’t really mind if people use my models for whatever they want… But that’s if they’d wanna use them :wink:

Humphrey

(CubeFan973) #12

Model’s author? How do you write a model?

Just being a psycho. I know, it’s “artist.”

If that happened, and someone made a huge movie which used all these models from different artists, and sold it to a commercial company and said that the models were gone, there would be a huge “artists” list in the credits, or a lot of “special thanks” (hopefully you don’t have to tell the company who they were).

Yeah… I think I agree with that…
I don’t really mind if people use my models for whatever they want… But that’s if they’d wanna use them

Humphrey

Well, if they’re all religous, that would make sense, but suppose it was an ensemble film? There might be interest. Sorry, just pointing out that your last sentence doesn’t sound too enthusiastic.)

(SysAdm) #13

It’s been along time since I’ve posted…

I use to have all my Blender models online… FREE for download…

http://centralsource.com/blender/files.htm

I decided to compile them all and burn a CD and only charge for shipping…

Still haven’t finished the CD… I also donated to Blender On the Haunt II last year to give out the CD to 5 runnerups… I still have their email and physical addresses… soon as I finish the CD (soon, I promise) I will follow up…

I have over 500 Blender Objects… some extremely high quality… I post a Term and Condition statement, that none of them can be used for Commercial Work…

I will finish this CD very soon… I have been real busy… but I’m coming back!!!

____SysAdm