Blender needs a transfer vertex order feature

Especially since “default” visibility just means the checkbox is visible and not hidden in the software, not that it’s shown by default or anything. It could stay disabled by default but exist as an option for users, but hiding functionality seems like a bad idea.

Besides it’s not like enabling it will cause Blender to explode or anything, it just shows a bunch of numbers for selected elements. Users who toggled it by mistake could just disable it again.

You can see the face index if you are in face selection mode. The selection mode controls which indices are shown (and they are only shown for the currently selected elements).

thanks for the tip

happy bl

howardt, could you explain why blender doesn’t have face group and edges groups?

2.8 does have face groups, to facilitate face widgets. I hacked together face, vert, and edge groups in python when I was working on my own face-mapped shapekey/bone controller addon in about 30 minutes, so it’s certainly not an issue with the functionality not existing.

If they can make boths groups, that will help in future developments or addons ¿why it is hide?

Good to know MeasureIt, has vert id display ability. I think this feature could be split into separate addon just for vert id displaying.
Anyway in latest version of Vert IDs copy, I fixed pasting IDs on more complex meshes (with multiple islands).
Grab it from gumroad(0$+).

THANKYOU!

I’ll gonna test it soon :smiley:

Hi JoseConseco, I have been testing your script many different ways on a 14k face character mesh, and unfortunately it still doesn’t work for fixing broken UV’s; However it does copy the vertex ID order.

Using the first method, I transfused the UV’s, then used your script to copy the vertex ID’s, these copied over just fine, but the UV’s are still broken (even though they now have the same vertex order). I assume that its not the vertex ID’s that need to be copied in the first place, but instead the face ID, or maybe both needs to be copied, I really don’t know as they’re two different things.

Everyone has been saying that to fix this issue we need to transfer the vertex ID, but I really don’t think so any more, is it possible to make this script copy the face ID as well for testing, maybe have two different options.

Thanks alot for your efforts, greatly appreciated.

First then transfer vert id, then do transfer uv by topology (build in data transfer modifier can be used). Or you can just use MagicUC copy uv topological.
transfer vert id- it is needed because it is more general tool, usefull for transfering not just uv but vert weights, colors, etc.

So not sure i fully understand what this addon does,Im hoping it means I can select say a Line of vertex from a mesh like a plane, select a line of verts from the other side edge of the plane and paste the vertex positions from the first selected vertex?

Ive been needing a tool like that for ages to make mesh’s tile. If the addon could be made to automatically copy edge vextex positions from one side eg x axis left vertex edge to right x axis vertex edge and y axis vertex top edge top y axis vertex bottom edge. That would be bloody handy for making fully tillable mesh’s

I have tried everything you suggested, but again it just doesn’t work, maybe i am missing something or doing something wrong. If you could write down the step by step instructions, to help make things more clear, that would help alot.

I could really use this script right now. I have a character that I’m posing in Maya, exporting MDD data but I needed to separate some pieces of mesh and rejoin them… which messes up the vertex order. If I could run a script to get the vert order back, that would be amazing. Unfortunately, You script doesn’t seem to work for me here in 2.79. I’ve selected both meshes (they are the exact same in every way except for the vert order). I select the target first, then the mesh to copy vert order from, hit CNTRL C (where I see 5 “Transfer Vert ID by Vert Proximity” options there at the bottom) but the MDD still destroys the mesh (wrong vert order). Maybe that’s not what this script does? Is the vert order and the vert ID two different things?