Blender news makes it to dutch news paper (url included)

(Timothy) #1

Hey,

Dutch Blender users should pick up a copy of the Volksrant, and check out this URL:

http://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws/economie/1029658913942.html

Greets,
Timothy

(@ce) #2

It is indeed surprising that we’ve gatherred so much money in that short period of time. This indeed proves the loyalty of the users to blender, and how the community have changed them.

(wavk) #3

SEWEET! It made the newspaper!

(sten) #4

anyone wanna translate that :stuck_out_tongue: ?

(Goofster) #5

feww, took ma a while, but here it is. never mind the poor grammar :smiley:

Webbusiness saved by users

Not a Number, an internetcompany from Amsterdam is nearly ready for a unique re-start. the bankrupt company has asked the users of their Blender software to sponsor the comeback with donations. In 4 weeks, they already saved up 85 thousand euros

Founder Ton Roosendaal from Not A Number is still not over his amazement. “I thought it would take 3 to 6 months to bring in the 100 grand”. If the sponsors manage to bring in the 100 thousand euros, blender’s lifetime can be expanded with 1 to two years.

Blender is a 3D creation suite used by designers to create 3D images, animations and games. The last few years the software was offered for free so everybody could use it. Income was supposed to be generated by commercial users, but that didn’t happen.
Roosendaal: “The market for this kind of software has completely collapsed, just like all other internet-hype technologies.

The restart will be the second for Not a Number, the company went bankrupt last year too. Investors had already put in 4.5 million euro’s before that.

With that money, not a number opened up foreign offices, like in Tokio. At the height of it’s existence the company employed 50 people. After a small break, Not a Number continued it’s activities in Amsterdam and Eindhoven, with a dozen employees and the support of 3 shareholders, one of which the founder himself.

This april they pulled the plug out for good. After that, Roosendaal negotiated with the other shareholders to keep the software alive, at least on the internet. They agreed, if they managed to gather 100 thousand euro’s.

The call for donations payed off. “there is a huge community on the internet” Roosendaal says. There are a quarter of a million registered users. The software runs on several operating systems, like Windows, linux and MacOS. But also on handheld platforms like the Ipaq.

“Most donations to the Blender foundation are around the 50 dollars” says Roosendaal, who watches over the inheritance of Not a Number. “but there are also donations ranging from 1000 to 2000 dollars”. 60 percent from the donations come in in true internet style, via paypal, an internet bank.
“I changed my kids diaperbrand to save money for the donation” says an american user by e-mail. “My son donated 10 weeks worth of allowence”/

Roosendaal hopes sponsors like these will extend blender’s lifetime to up to two years. Long enough to let the market recover. The sourcecode, the blueprints of the software, will be made public so others can make changes to the software.

(ScottishPig) #6

Sae very very cool… but:

“I changed my kids diaperbrand to save money for the donation” says an american user by e-mail. “My sun donated 10 weeks worth of allowence”

—You do mean “son.” (Unless the sun donates money as well as light & heat)

(Dittohead) #7

thanx goofster 8)

(S_W) #8

Thank you for the translation! :smiley:

(sten) #9

Thanks Goofster !!!

(kaktuswasse) #10

well, i think thats not right:

Founder Ton Roosendaal from Not A Number is still not over his amazement. “I thought it would take 3 to 6 months to bring in the 100 grand”. If the sponsors manage to bring in the 100 thousand euros, blender’s lifetime can be expanded with 1 to two years.

it’s lifetime can be expanded with 1 to 10000 years,when it’s opensource :wink:

cya henrik

P.S.: thank you for the translation[/quote]

(ton) #11

Hi,

The journalist mixed up NaN, Blender and the Foundation quite some… I sent him after proof reading a lot of comments, none of them were taken.

The ‘1 to 2 year’ comment was about NaN Holding; me telling the shareholders that when they agree with the Foundation plans, the company can get a good position to restart business for another 1-2 years.

He also doesn’t really get the open source thing… and keeps calling it a ‘restart’, which basically is not true.

-Ton-