blender not working on i3 laptop

I was installing blender on my new but cheap bottom end laptop but unfortunately it doesn’t start.
I wouldn#t use blender on this laptop much anyway because I use it on my main desktop, however it would still be nice to have it on the move.

The laptop is a bottom end toshiba satellite pro c660 with intel i3 m380 proc, 4gb ram, no dedicated gpu. I am running windows 7 64bit. Will install ubuntu just now and try on that too.

Anyway, I downloaded both 64 and 32 bit blenders, python and all that stuff… but still nothing. When I open blender up, I just see a command prompt window for a few secs, with no text and then a windows error pops up saying “Blender has stopped working” the other error info is

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: blender.exe
Application Version: 2.6.3.0
Application Timestamp: 4f99a17d
Fault Module Name: aticfx32.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.17.10.1047
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cabd6fc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00025861
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Can’t figure what the error could be exactly but have a feeling that its because of lack of a proper gpu. I just dont know why it would give an error related to ati gpu even though i only have the intel inbuilt i3 graphics.

Anyway, if any of you have any info or suggestions, I would love to hear them.
In the mean while, I will instal ubuntu and see how it goes on that.

Booted from ubuntu 12.04 64bit livecd.
I am actually writing this from the livecd.

So, installed blender, and guess what, it opened with no problems at all.
So it is not hardware problem. Most likely driver or some other weird win sys problem.
Anyway, blender works in ubuntu, so I am formating the HDD and installing this.

That’s definitely a driver issue… Try visiting Toshiba’s website and downloading an update for you graphics driver. I had to do that with my Sony VAIO, which also has an i3 Core.

And your laptop doesn’t sound entirely bottom end… an i3 core is actually not bad haha