Blender Notes - A Browser Based Cheatsheet for Blender

Blender Notes - A Browser Based Cheatsheet for Blender

What is it?
Blender Notes is a collection of the Blender knowledge that a user is most likely to need while using Blender. It is a web page with a table of contents on the left and a cheatsheet style text on the right.

How do I use it?
While I’m using Blender I keep my web browser running in another window with a tab open to Blender Notes. When I can’t remember a hotkey, (it happens often :wink: ) I go to the browser window and use the table of contents to get to the section I need. When I can’t think of what section to go to, I use the “Searchable Version” link at the top of the table of contents to bring up an unframed version of the text that can be searched with the browser’s Ctrl+F text search then I use the browser’s “Back” button to get back.

Why did I write it?
Over the years I’ve had to learn to use a LOT of different programs and languages. Until I met Blender, I always proceeded in the same way: read the manual cover to cover while creating a hand written cheatsheet containing the details that I knew I would need to remember but be most likely to forget. (The big concepts I can mostly remember well enough.)

I started out trying to learn Blender the same way but found that it was just too BIG! Blender provides so many different services and features that even a dozen cheatsheets would hardly be enough and, that was just too much paper shuffling.

I gave up on Blender completely several times in disgust but, I kept coming back. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and do it the right way. The current version of Blender Notes represents more than 60 pages of hand written notes from very many sources.

What’s wrong with it?
It’s not complete. It represents the current state of my (incomplete) Blender knowledge. I am just starting to figure out character animation and rigging and I haven’t gotten to nurbs, baking or a lot of other stuff yet. Nonetheless, in the spirit of Linus Torvalds’ open source dictum of “Release early and often!” here it is - as it is so far.

It’s terse - by design. It’s not a tutorial by any means, in fact if you haven’t already read quite a bit about Blender and done quite a few tutroials you will be lost - but if you have, you should find here, in one place, all the little details that are so easy to forget.

What’s good about it?
In its current state, I think it includes all the hotkeys and details on how to get things done that an intermediate level Blender user needs to know.

Where is it?

It’s on my web site

sites dot google dot com slash site slash rbtyod slash

Forgive me for writing it like this but I lack sufficient seniority here at BA to be able to enter posts containing links due to BA’s anti spam policy.

In the “Attachments” section of my site is a zip file called Blender_Notes.zip containing a directory called Blender_Notes.
Inside the directory are 4 files:
Introduction.html (this introduction),
Blender_Notes.html (the main text in the right frame),
Contents.html (the left frame) and
Top.html that creates the frames and reads in the other 2 files.

Unzip the file in a convenient place and click on Top.html to bring up the page in your browser

What is the most recent version?
V1 August 19, 2008 Initial Release, current with Blender 2.47

I hope you find it useful.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

…Bob

PS
If someone with sufficient seniority thinks that what I am offering is not spam and might be at least a little useful and feels like posting a real link in a reply, that would be nice.

All right. Here’s the link.

Quick download. A nice augmentation to Blender’s on board help. Oops. Spoke too soon, Blender’s on board help seems to have fallen overboard in 2.47.

Anyway, a nice augmentation to the Blender list of hot key functions that used to be available under the help menu. rbtyod not only has hot keys, he also has workflow checklists where you’ve got to make sure you’ve checked buttons in several places, and has occaisional hints regarding why you’d want to use particular buttons. Looks very useful.

Thanks. Welcome to BlenderArtists.:smiley: