Blender NPR Computer Build advice

I need to get a new computer and obviously I want speed, but what I need speed for is not typical Blender rendering issues. Almost everything I do is in Freestyle. So I have models that can have a lot of geometry but I never set rendering to high numbers. I use cycles typically, which I find works best with Freestyle, and set rendering to only about 10. So I guess a really good video card would not help me. More RAM perhaps? Faster CPU?

Thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help. Not sure about budget 1-2K range probably…maybe a little bit more…

Have you used any good CPU and GPU hardware monitors during Freestyle work to analyze the requirements?

In my quick test I see that apparently Freestyle in Blender is a single threaded job:

If you already have a CPU with good single thread performance, unfortunately you will not get much gain in processing time.

1 Like

No. I do not have that ability. I see that the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X has the top single thread performance. So I guess I would build a computer based on that chip

Yes, the Ryzen 5 5600X has good single thread performance and a good price.
Another important thing, if you are going to buy RAM, make sure it is the highest speed memory you can buy. As I understand it, RAM speed influences AMD processors performance.
Out of curiosity, what is your current CPU?

Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz with 32GB of RAM

Ryzen 5 5600X is around 37% faster in single threaded performance. But I couldn’t assure you that the gain in Freestyle is going to be linear. Hope it’s at least 30% faster.

Thanks for your advice

I wonder how fast the new Mac processor would be on Freestyle