blender on 64-bit linux

yes and the grafic cards have special high speed ram why they are fast because with slow ram they could not calculate what you see in quake or unreal.

32 bit 64 bit is all about memory access speed and bandwith.

in case an app does not reach the 32 limit you will not get a real improvment with 64 bit.

Well, last night I gave up on trying to get the 32-bit binaries to work…BUT, I made lots of progress on building Blender with make. There are some dependency issues left (ode, glut, etc.) but I hope to have it compiled by the weekend. :smiley:

I’m not expecting Blender to have any thing other than a nominal increase in speed with this 64-bit OS.

If I’m feeling ambitious, I might install a 32-bit Linux on a separate disk and try to benchmark blender on both for a comparison. If I’m feeling very ambitious, that is…

Hi Happy ( and guys ),

I’ve also been having trouble running Blender-32 on my FC2-64 box !!! :frowning:

If you do get it running, I’d be most appreciative if you could provide an RPM or somthing - Thanks. :smiley:

happy1776,

Whilst I haven’t been much help so far, you might try finding out what is in you library paths:

$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib

/usr/lib/wine

If /usr/lib64/ and /usr/X11R6/lib64/ (and perhaps /usr/local/lib…)aren’t in this file (or any other referenced file; see top line) then add them:

su:
# cp /etc/ld.so.conf /etc/ld.so.conf.backup
(Just in case > is used instead of >>)
# echo "/usr/lib64" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
# echo "/usr/X11R6/lib64" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
# ldconfig
# exit
$ cd /path/to/your/copy/of/blender
$ ./blender

I really hope that this helps you out! (I actualy hope that someone who knows more than me can tinker with scons and build a 64-bit version… any takers?)

Ben

Hi Ben,

Every little bit helps :smiley:

Your notes on solving the libGLU issue worked in the sense that there whereis command works nicely now…but still no Blender. :expressionless: Still getting the same ‘No such file or directory’ message.

At the moment, I’m working on resolving the dependancy issues for the build. I am optimistic that it will be running sometime this weekend.

More to come…

Stu

More progress tonight, but I’ve hit significant block: KX_BlenderRenderTools in the game engine won’t compile and the error message isn’t helping me. (It is so big I won’t bother posting.) I’m not so optimistic now. :frowning:

It should be possible to compile Blender without the game engine using make, like it is in scons. Anybody know how to do this?

…probably time to start getting into the developer mails and look for solutions…

More later…

Stu

I got it :smiley:

After some repetitive RTMF, downloading the current BF-Blender source from cvs, some advice from Hos on IRC, a few tweaks to the scons config.ops, and a few guess symbolic links.

I was this close to calling it quits and revert to 32-bin Linux. Whew! Do I feel good tonight :smiley:

Stu

Panther: I’m not particulary sure my build would work for you, but you are more than welcome to try. I think just the executable will do. What kind of HW do you have?

Stu

I know how tiring this question is, having gone through dependancy/makefile hell myself, but roughly what additional libraries you needed to force it to build?

Also you might want to post your build and altered scons files to this forum:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewforum&f=18

(You will need to upload it to a website somewhere first though…)

Thanks
Ben

hi ben_o,

Oh, not even close to “tiring” :slight_smile:

Since my success, and subsequent energetic Giving Thanks to the Blender Goddess dance, I’ been going over the Blender and related web sites trying to figure out how to “share the love.” I think there are two key things I could contribute to:

• sharing/publishing the binary (Panther, at a minimum, seems interested)
  • helping out with the scons or make file issues I encountered

As you may have picked up from my posts, my Linux knowledge is a bit spotty…but improving daily. It would be good if I posted my experiences with authority…and so have been trying to learn a bit more about the Blender build. But, to satisfy your immediate interest here and now :smiley: :

• get source directly from cvs: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Building_Blender.117.0.html
  • dependencies; it really seems a system by system issue, and here here were my issues:
    • I needed opengl, sdl, libjpeg, libpng, zlib, Xfree86-dev, font-config, free-type
    • glut, fmod, and ode turned out to never be an issue
  • the hard parts:
    • 64 bit libraries are frequently stored under ./lib64/
    • the build seemed to look for a specific file name for libGLU. this was repeatedly the most troublesome issue. i solved it by a combination of scons file manipulation and setting libGLU.so.1, libGLU.so, libGLU.a links to the real mccoy. i over did it here and need to go back and tinker to figure out which exact link solved the problem. i think this issue plays into what i can contribute to the build.

I am a bit fuzzy on some glibc stuff, like the fact that I’m on glibc 2.3.2 which is not what everyone seems to be using. After some chats with the Blender programmers I intend to speak with more authority on all this.

Comments welcome…

Three cheers to you and Hos (IRC) for the help!

Stu

Hi all,

OK: It’s posted http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=29716#29716

If someone gets it running on their 64-bit Linux machine, please let me know.

Stu