Blender on Mac keeps crashing on launch

This is the first time trying to run on an Intel based Mac. My old G5 PowerMac kicked the bucket and I used Blender all the time on that thing. Anyways, I can’t get Blender to launch at all on this new iMac.

Running Mac OS X 10.6.8 with 4GB of RAM and a 3.2 GHz Core i3.

Tried running the app from the terminal and get this error:
[new-host:~] ryan% /Applications/Blender\ 2.55/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender ; exit;
found bundled python: /Applications/Blender 2.55/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/2.55/python
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can’t initialize sys standard streams
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/encodings/utf_8.py”, line 9, in <module>
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/codecs.py”, line 16
except ImportError, why:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Abort
logout

[Process completed]

Anyone know what the problem is? Maybe I have a bad/out-of-date python installation?

Thanks,
Ryan

Python comes bundled with blender so you should not need to install any other python unlike older versions.
Ensure you are running a version of blender for intel macs not ppc and use the latest version, 2.62 though 2.63 is coming out imminently

Richard,
thanks for the reply, but I’ve downloaded the Intel version. I also tried the 32-bit version, just to see what would happen. Same result…instant crash.

Hi
I saw a similar post in tracker.
I guess you have an old script in your user-scripts dir which is calling
system python. Sort this out and all should be fine.

You could do a fast test by just “renaming away” your user-scripts folder.

Jens