Blender or Maya?

If given a choice, would you use Blender or Maya on your computer?

My thanks in advance!

If I had the money, I would actually use Lightwave.

But I don’t, so I use Blender.

BgDM

Why do you wanna know that? What would you choose and why?

Lightwave. And I dont think another Blender vs. Maya thread is needed. Thats all im gonna say.

Well if every app was free or I had a ton of money I would probably go with Max, Maya or C4D. But since I can’t afford them I just have to go with Blender :slight_smile:

If I had the money I would still go with Blender. No amount of money can buy you user-support (elysiun) and developer-support (blender.org) this good for any of the commercial apps 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well, if I had the choice, that would mean that I’d have the money for Maya, right ? I’d have Blender and something nice, like a rendering farm rather than Maya.

Jean

Maya Complete runs $1,999. That would have to be a fairly small “farm”. :slight_smile:

You could still get some nice hardware for $1,999.

I think this question is stupid. If you are making money with 3D and Blender works for you, use Blender. If you are making money with 3D and you need the tools that some other package has the Blender doesn’t - then use that. I just don’t see the point of such discussions. Of course I posted, so shame on me! :wink:

Agreed…on both.

yea. I would go with Lightwave as well. But since blender is a better deal… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d go for Blender and its community every time.

HECK NO

i’d ditch all of you in a second if I got a free copy of Maya!

and I am not kidding

be realistic, people, Maya is pretty nice, and it has a pretty nice community too.

Maya’s powered by dollars and Blenders powered by cool super smart people like you and me. I think with that in mind most of us around here will go with Blender. Otherwise we wouldn’t be here in the first place.

Can you tell that I don’t consider using Blender slumming?

As it is Blender is fresh and capable of anything and Maya is old school and is only concerned about servicing a smaller sector of 3d film and game production artist.

If I were starting up a small studio that put out 3d animated film quality work I would roll with Maya and XSI. But I would still keep up with Blender is it’s the cutting edge open source 3d software of our dreams. With what I know about Blender as a production tool I would also have most of my 3d production staff pumping out work with Blender.

But I’m very happy doing multimedia work so Blender rocks for everything 3d related that I do. It looks like if I decide to to a film production in the future Blender may be ready for that sooner than we think. But until then…

Blend on!

Well if I could get Maya, I would, but I’d keep blender for modelling.

Blender isn’t really something you have to choose, it’s already there waiting for you to download. Maya on the other hand will only be available when you have a spare US$2000.

I dunno, it depends. What do you want to do? Are you fishing for a contract with a big client who’s already using Maya? Are you competing for a video/animation where the client simply wants “results, yesterday?”

When you’ve got a job to do, anything that is necessary to get the job done is a “cost of goods sold.” Anything more than that is “lost profits.” “All things being equal, of course,” which of course they never are…

Maya’s expensive, but eMule’s free…

ahemI mean, use Blender because it’s free and breaking the law is bad.

pretty dump topic…and even dumber to reply :smiley:

of course, i go for maya cause it’s “overall” better than blender.
but if money is a consideration, then i’ll go for xsi foundation (500$).

if a day blender should provide gizmo’s and a better viewport rotation mode, i’ll use it too.

traitor! j/k :stuck_out_tongue:

btw: wtf?! where’s youre cool bunny avatar?

Hahaha. Yes, Blender or Maya.

I’d pick blender to learn 3d development.
Maya for animations (also dynamics, hair & fluid effects like fire).
Lightwave is a good option for vertex modeling.
Rhino for curve modeling, or Pro-E if you’re more of a CAD type.
Turtle is a nice renderer, although I mostly use Maya renderer because of easy of use.

Let your clients worry about the costs.

I’ll stick with Blender. I like supporting the underdog.
If I want to introcuce someone in the world of 3D apps, I’ll use Blender. I was at a course for administrating SQL server 2000. A collegue asked me if a knew what kind of software he could use because he want to learn animation as a hobby. As I don’t happen to have a copy of Maya on me, I downloaded blender and constructed a head in a few minutes. He was amazed. A new Blender head was born.
And I don’t want to go through another learning curve. As far as functionality goes: How many percent of all the functionality of MS word are you using? 50%? 30%? huh? Even less. Well big packages are like that.