Blosm: Import of Google 3D Cities, OpenStreetMap, Terrain

Here are additional details for addon developers about the support of custom map projections.

Custom map projections are supported via the bpyproj library. It was designed as a general library which can be used by any Blender addon dealing with geographical data. It is distributed as a separated Blender addon and can be easily accessed by any Blender addon.

If you would like to use bpyproj with your addon please refer to the dedicated wiki page.

1 Like

Is there some switch to automatically uv unwrap building walls? If I have a 4 sq mile city section and try to use Smart UV Unwrap, it goes for at least an hour (I cut it short). If I do it on smaller sections, the orientation of the uvs are unreliable. Ordinary unwrap is fast enough, but it doesn’t split any edges, producing a ring of distorted walls per building. Roofs are easy because they all point upward, but I’m not sure how to easily unwrap walls to apply simple textures to them.

By default, in the osm data file I’m using seems like only one roof (a curved one) gets usable uv coordinates. Every other wall vertex seems to map to 0. I see mention of auto-uvs above, is that fully implemented? (I’m using 2.3.3)

UV-mapping will will be a part of the premium version to be released very soon. The code is ready. Currently I am working on documenation.

2 Likes

Am sooo jealous right ow,i brought this plugin just yesterday an it wontinstall. any help? am using Blender 2.79

@lezcut

Thank you very much for buying the blender-osm addon!

You seemingly contacted me also via e-mail. I replied to you via e-mail.

If it wasn’t you, please provide additional details.

Thanks a mill

Can you tell us, if the premium version will be out this, next month or this year
and how much it will cost?
Thx

@Ksanto, thanks for poking me.

Here is the detailed status of the premium version.

The code, materials and default textures are ready. It is the documentation that is missing.
The delay is due to the World Cup. I visited 10 games of the World Cup in 8 cities. But now it is nearly over and I am back to work.

I do hope to release the premium version this month.

The initial release of the premium version will include the following features:

• Assignment of UV-coordinates and default materials with diffuse tileable building textures

• Default materials and textures to mimic lit windows for a late evening setting

• Options to use custom tileable building textures (e.g. from textures.com)

• Satellite imagery and web maps projected on a terrain

Subsequent releases will include import of forests, more details and variability for building and other features depending on user feedback.

I prefer not to announce the price before the actual release of the premium version. Believe me the price will be affordable. A discount for the users of the base version will be provided.

1 Like

@vvoovv could you give us a preview of the “auto” texturing of the building?

I’m quite interested to see what it will the output.

thanks in advance

@marcatore,

I posted some previews before: (1), (2).
The texture were borrowed from textures.com. The premium version will also contain some default tileable building textures under CC0 license (public domain).

I will post additional previews later.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve missed those screenshot.

I think it’s great.

Hey there! Just wondering what the ETA is for textured buildings. This is incredible so far and that would be the next huge step. Thanks!

As I wrote before, it was the documentation that was missing. The documentation for the key features is to the large extent ready. However, I’d like to document how to use external textures (e.g. from textures.com).

I’m attending the global OpenStreetMap conference to understand the trends in OpenStreetMap and to make useful contacts. I’m also using the opportunity to make photos of windows, doors and shop-windows to use them in the subsequent releases of the addon premium version. That’s the cause of the current delay. I’ll be back to work on Monday.

I think the week 13-17 August, 2018 is a realistic time for the release.

We are glad to release the long-awaited premium version of the blender-osm addon!

In addition to the features of the base version, the premium one provides:

• Import of buildings from OpenStreetMap with default materials, tileable building textures and UV-mapping applied
  • Default materials and textures to mimic lit windows for a late evening setting
  • Options to use custom tileable building textures (e.g. from textures.com)
  • Satellite imagery and web maps projected on a terrain

Buy it at https://gumroad.com/l/blosm

All customers of the base addon version should have received a link to buy the premium one with a significant discount!

First Test of the Ultimate version.
A little bit more training and reading the log will probably help :smile:
This is the Dresden-airport (EDDC).

1 Like

The airport runway is too hilly :rofl:
It’s due to imperfections of the terrain data.

You’d better to keep the terrain field blank when importing the satellite imagery. Then the satellite imagery will be projected on the flat mesh created by the addon.

1 Like

A quick render of Paris in the late evening. The default roof shape was set to gabled. Used the setup script neoclassical.py. Get blender-osm (premium) at https://gumroad.com/l/blosm

1 Like

Get the new version of blender-osm (both premium and base) via the link in your purchase confirmation e-mail! The imported scene looks more realistically now thanks to the randomized level height and default number of levels. The default number of levels can be tweaked in the addon GUI.

Hi, guys. I’m quite new to Blender. I just purchased OpenStreetMap Premium version, but apparently it doesn’t work on well for some reasons. So I followed the github installation workflow, but when I was trying to import the selected area, it showed me these errors. Can someone please help me out? Thanks in advance!!!

I’m sure the developers can give a better answer, but without having studied the code closely, I presume the variable uVecLength should never assume the value zero. I can suggest a workaround, which is just a hack, not a real solution, but at least it’ll get rid of this particular error, even though the rest of the code isn’t guaranteed to work. Line 66 in flat.py says

uVecLength = uVec.length

Leave that line as it is, but insert the following two lines after it:

if uVecLength==0:
     uVecLength=0.000001

Make sure to keep the intendation as above. This way, the value uVecLength will never be zero, so you won’t get a divide-by-zero error.

(Incidentally the same code is copied a few lines below in another section, so if the same error occurs there, just rinse and repeat.)

But again, this is a hack and a workaround for something that appears to be a bug in the code. This solution is neither good nor should it be permanent.

1 Like