Blender performance of different hardware

Just recently I bought myself a new HP zv6000 series laptop. Before I was on an old desktop that only had a 7 gig HDD. See now before on the desktop I was using Blender on the system with minimal lag on the system unless the scenes became too complex. The system’s cpu speed had to be slower than 500 mhz and I had installed an Nvidia graphics card into it. Now that I have my new laptop (which I might add I’ve fallen in love with) has a 2 ghz amd athlon 64 cpu, 512 megs of ram, and an ATI Radeon xpress 200m video card. When I bought this I had planned on blender running great on it and having much faster render times. When I started up blender though and started making a random scene I noticed it was slow even without hardly anything in the scene. I know that some programs run differently on different hardware but I would like to know exactly WHY this happens and not just settle with the fact that it does. I’ve run Half Life 2 on here with minimal lag. Is there perhaps a better build of Blender I should be running or what?

Yes, another case of ATI blues… :smiley: I hopefully have the perfect solution for you. Download this file and stick it in the same directory blender.exe is. Should solve all your problems. Or, if you want, you can download my latest optimized build, specifically optimized for high-end Windows systems with ATI. Download that here.

Great thanks. :smiley: I’m currently still waiting for it to download but how often is this build and/or DLL updated? I see it is in a folder called nightly but I’m going to keep this build bookmarked if its updated with the most recent CVS build of Blender.

The DLL NEVER CHANGES. It’s the exact dll needed for it all to work. As for the build… It’s not exactly nightly :wink: But I update it hopefully once a week or so.

Sweet. I’ve got my wacom and now I’ve got a much smoother working blender. I think I’m set to go now.

Good luck. :wink:

Well I’ve used the build and I’ve had no problems except… the DLL file. I tried just the DLL file alone and I got an error while starting up blender. Then instead of doing that I installed your build minus the DLL file. Everything worked fine and I haven’t put it to a real test with a complex scene but I imagine it’ll work without too much lag. I don’t know what it was with the DLL but blender didn’t like it.

Strange. :-?

I understand that when building your model and rotationg it etc in shaded mode, a good graphics card may be important, but how can the graphics card speed up rendering, Nothing is being displayed quickly when rendering, its entirely dependent on processor, bus, memory speed. Or am i missing something?

No, you are absolutely correct. Photorealistic renderers (such as Blender Internal and Yafray) do not use graphics hardware to do calculations. Instead, they use the processor and RAM for all of the calculations. However, for realtime rendering like done in OpenGL (for modelling and such) a better graphics card can help quite a bit. Blender’s interface is done entirely in OpenGL, which is why a good OpenGL graphics card is necessary. The DLL I provided helps some radeon users by filling in a gap that has to do with ATI’s lack of OpenGL support.

Ooo… instead of using the atioglxx.dll file you provided I dived into my own system files retrieving my atioglxx.dll and put it in the blender directory. Then boom… blender starts up fine. I guess they must have been different dll versions. :S

After thumbing through all the responses on the website as to ATI Radeon Xpress 200M cards, I tried your fix by diving down into the Windows directory and finding the atioglxx.dll file there, cloning it into my Blender program director and Viola! blender runs at a reasonable rate again!

Thanks so much!
:smiley:

Perfect! I too cloned the dll file and Blender now runs much faster. Thanks for a great fix!

I never cloned the .dll file and Im running Blender with minimal lag on an ATI x800xl. I am using the latest Omega drivers and Ive heard that fixes the problem with ATI cards and Omegas are generally quicker in other programs too.