Blender Protection Testrun3

(C-106 Delta) #1

Again, I have been working on making a stable blend file that makes it harder to hack the blend file. Please try to hack the exe file open below. If you are able to hack it, please post a picture. If the protection on file below works, you should get a blend file. However, it won’t be the game.

ProtectionTest1 “The Triple Layer Blend”
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/418/protectionTest1.exe

Also Littlebob, I have made a little script that fully blocks windows task manager without having to damage it. The best part about the script is that it is extremely simple, and it doesn’t slow the frame rate.

import os

Only use this script once at the start of the game.

###The game will try to get WindowsTask Manager
task = open(“C:\WINDOWS\system32\Taskmgr.exe”, ‘rb+’)

This will lock the file as long as the game is running.

name_blend = os.path.splitext(task)[0] + ‘.blend’

0 Likes

(Social) #2

As long as they don’t try to sell it, I have nothing against it. If they want to sell it, they could work out a deal with me, where I get a percentage, and they act solely as a distributor.

If they try selling it without my permission, I’ll sue them.

0 Likes

(C-106 Delta) #3

As long as they don’t try to sell it, I have nothing against it. If they want to sell it, they could work out a deal with me, where I get a percentage, and they act solely as a distributor.

If they try selling it without my permission, I’ll sue them.

It is not about money, it is about the hard work. If you worked on something, say a car, and it took you 2 years of work. Now if someone drove your car off of a cliff just for kicks, I would be more than just ferrous.

0 Likes

(NOR.J) #4

how about, He copied your car and drove the copy off a cliff? ^^…

0 Likes

(C-106 Delta) #5

how about, He copied your car and drove the copy off a cliff? ^^…

lol

I guess I see where your coming from Nor.J but it also depends on the game. If you make a one of a kind, brand new shooting game people will know it is your game. If someone tries to mimic the control/gameplay you know they might have copying your game. But this can’t be true of all game, some examples are fan games.

Social: If they try selling it without my permission, I’ll sue them.

You do have copyright over your work, however, it is not always posible to catch thieves. First, it is possible you may never notice they stole/sold/edited your game. Second, even if you catch them, they may not calm that they stole it from you. They may also cover their tracks by editing the game or replacing levels.

0 Likes

([a]drien) #6

I’m agree with C-106 Delta to crypt standalone application.
i’m working with confidentials informations which may not be used out of my exe demo.
Like some arhitectural demo or simulation with some models/places copyrighted and secrets.

Your " ProtectionTest1 “The Triple Layer Blend”" looks ok
File is umpty (basic scene) after crack it.
But by searching after "BLENDER_V241 in code, i see some diff results.
I think it’s possible to get your content.
The best way could be a encrypt system or a real compilation over the first one (may be more long to load …)

0 Likes

(Stoician) #7

…but(of course theres alwase a but) that wouldn’t work on win98 or older sense just the ctrl-alt-del brings up a list of processes(I checked and its part of the windows not a separate .exe)

EDIT: ahh poo… just thought of this, you could just copy the taskmgr.exe into another directory.(tested this)

not sure but does the blenderplayer.exe running stop one from opening the uncompressed .blend?(well I guess it would, but if you found out that it didnt you could just have it deleted in the python.)EDIT: oh wait what this doing:

name_blend = os.path.splitext(task)[0] + ‘.blend’
hmm does ms-dos have some sort of kill command like linux?

0 Likes

(C-106 Delta) #8

hmm does ms-dos have some sort of kill command like linux?

No, I don’t think it does.

Your " ProtectionTest1 “The Triple Layer Blend”" looks ok
File is umpty (basic scene) after crack it.
But by searching after "BLENDER_V241 in code, i see some diff results.
I think it’s possible to get your content.
The best way could be a encrypt system or a real compilation over the first one (may be more long to load …)

I looks like my protection worked. The blend file is not the basic scene. But like you said, I think there is a way to get to the data.

0 Likes

(Social) #9

For anything big enough to actually make an impact, I will notice, and those are the only cases which really matter.

Second, even if you catch them, they may not calm that they stole it from you.
I’ll just provide my lawyer with the original source files, which he can use as evidence to prove that the idea is mine, because I can explain in detail every step of the development process.

They may also cover their tracks by editing the game or replacing levels.
If they edit the game to the point where I can no longer prove that it’s my core work…that pretty much means that they made a brand new game anyway - and so are now allowed to sell and distribute that game as they see fit.

They’ll have my blessing.

0 Likes

(MagicMyshu) #10

Delta, if someone wants to crack your file they will unfortunately.

0 Likes

(C-106 Delta) #11

Delta, if someone wants to crack your file they will unfortunately.

I don’t give up like most people. It is still possible that an expert hacker may come along someday and crack the game, but the main point of protecting a game to to block most people. Blender has almost no protection at all, and that needs to change.

0 Likes

(black reaper) #12

can you share with use this protection ?

0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #13

I doubt he could share it without revealing how it works.

0 Likes

(C-106 Delta) #14

can you share with use this protection ?

Yes, when I finish fixing the bugs.

I doubt he could share it without revealing how it works.

Nope. The main propose of the project is to create a stable, strong protection that EVERYONE can use. It doesn’t just provide your games with protection, but it also always a legal GPL loop-hole so you don’t need to release the source code.

0 Likes

(FuzzMaster) #15

why don’t you worry about making a game that somebody would actually want to steal first? Going through all this effort will mean nothing if your game is garbage and nobody wants to touch it. Also, don’t you make Sonic games using ripped models anyways???

0 Likes

(Social) #16

Hah, that was damn near perfect.

0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #17

I don’t understand–how can you possibly make a protection which will be secure after you’ve provided instructions about how it’s set up? Won’t someone be able to use the instructions to easily hack the file?

Regarding the GPL loophole, there is another far easier one: make the .exe link to a .blend where your game info is stored. This is what I do. .blends don’t count as “derivative works.”

I’m trying to be nonjudgemental about this, but your stance of ultra-protectiveness bothers me deeply. The spirit of open-source software (which Blender is) is one of sharing and generosity, and yet you’re determined to make sure that we can’t so much as peek into your files. That hurts. Sorry.

0 Likes

(C-106 Delta) #18

Also, don’t you make Sonic games using ripped models anyways???

No. All my models have been done from scratch.

I don’t understand–how can you possibly make a protection which will be secure after you’ve provided instructions about how it’s set up? Won’t someone be able to use the instructions to easily hack the file?

The older 1.0 BlenderGEPplayer just modified some code in the blenderplayer that didn’t allow it to be reopened in Blender. The newer 1.4 BlenderGEPplayer puts the blend file into the Visual Memory, not filesystems.

I’m trying to be nonjudgemental about this, but your stance of ultra-protectiveness bothers me deeply. The spirit of open-source software (which Blender is) is one of sharing and generosity, and yet you’re determined to make sure that we can’t so much as peek into your files. That hurts. Sorry.

I was thinking about this the other day. Having a few games closed source never hurt anyone. Releasing protection on a massive scale could… But then again, it is the persons right to have there work closed source or not.

0 Likes

(FuzzMaster) #19

IDK that model in your avatar looks awfully familiar.

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #20

But then again, it is the persons right to have there work closed source or not.

Cool, Thanks for giving them that option. Wish there was a way from a Default blender install to do something like this, it might attract a few more users.

When I first started doing game content, I wanted to play like a “pro” developer too… later I found out that I learn more from not only submitting my work for others scrutiny ,but helping people out also teaches me a lot.

0 Likes