Blender Protection Testrun3

(j) #21

interesting

(C-106 Delta) #22

When I first started doing game content, I wanted to play like a “pro” developer too… later I found out that I learn more from not only submitting my work for others scrutiny, but helping people out also teaches me a lot.

Yea, open source can have its advantages. If a program is open source or not, people will always help one another. Helping others may teach you something in the process.

IDK that model in your avatar looks awfully familiar.

ALL my models have been made from scratch including Sonic himself. I can prove it too. The Sonic model I made (shown in my avatar) was created early September 2006. Sonic Next Generation was not released until November of 2006. I can’t rip something that didn’t exist. Plus, I don’t support ripping models.

And PlantPerson, I was thinking about what you said earlier. I was thinking that if I release a protected BlenderPlayer, I should perhaps put some regulations on it to help the idea of “Open Source”. Some regulations like, “You must prove that you worked on a game for more then a year” or something like that. What do you think?

(PlantPerson) #23

I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean. What would “having worked on a game for more than a year” prove? What would be the advantage of that? Some games don’t take that long to make, I’m sure p00f’s never worked on a game for that long. And how would that be connected to the idea of open source?

I guess you’re just saying that the game is a bigger investment in that case, but a good short game can often be even better than a long game.

I dunno…I guess if someone really wants to put their game under lock and key, that’s their choice. It just bothers me. Personally I prefer to include a EULA and trust players to abide by it. I like my games to be open…as you may have noticed, the data for the new Zark game is in a completely unprotected .blend.

I don’t know what more to say…this is an issue that I have trouble discussing.

(FuzzMaster) #24

ALL my models have been made from scratch including Sonic himself. I can prove it too. The Sonic model I made (shown in my avatar) was created early September 2006. Sonic Next Generation was not released until November of 2006. I can’t rip something that didn’t exist. Plus, I don’t support ripping models.

IIRC SA, SA2, SA2B, SADX, SH, and StH all came out before september 2006 but okay ^___^

(Captain Oblivion) #25

I’m gonna throw my opinion out here-
-first of all, if someone thought my work was good enough that they actually STOLE it, I’d be inclined to see that as a compliment, that I’d made something that was worth breaking the law to use. then I’d sue their pants off as thanks ^^
-now, I understand more if you plan on releasing commercially, but still, if the game was made in blender, which was made entirely by people who took time out of their lives to add to a program for everyone to use FOR FREE, with no strings attached, it just seems to defeat the whole ideal.
-if someone REALLY wants to get your files, they will. take any commercial game for example- almost all (if not all) of them have been cracked, ripped, opened, etc. and that’s commercial-level protection written by a paid team of programmers (or maybe just one XP). if the data’s there, it’s possible to take.

(Mico27) #26

yep! I second that!

(C-106 Delta) #27

I guess you’re just saying that the game is a bigger investment in that case, but a good short game can often be even better than a long game.

Yea, that is what I meant and I know what you mean. Larger games doesn’t always indicate a better game but it does show that there was more effort put into it then a smaller one.

first of all, if someone thought my work was good enough that they actually STOLE it, I’d be inclined to see that as a compliment, that I’d made something that was worth breaking the law to use. then I’d sue their pants off as thanks ^^

Yea, I think you said this before on another thread, but I agree with you on most of that.

-first of all, if someone thought my work was good enough that they actually STOLE it, I’d be inclined to see that as a compliment, that I’d made something that was worth breaking the law to use. then I’d sue their pants off as thanks ^^

If someone makes a game in blender (which is free) it is always nice to release the game free but they don’t need to. (I myself do not plan on selling any blender games.)

-if someone REALLY wants to get your files, they will. take any commercial game for example- almost all (if not all) of them have been cracked, ripped, opened, etc. and that’s commercial-level protection written by a paid team of programmers (or maybe just one XP). if the data’s there, it’s possible to take.

Anything that runs on a computer usually has some way of accessing that data. From my understanding, I believe all console games use the same protection for each game on that console verson. For example, all GameCube games have the same protection that was made by nintendo. All Xbox 360 games have the same protection made by Sony. If one console game is hacked, they all are hacked.

Yet, even with dozens of hacker, it can take over 4 years to hack a protected game. Take the Xbox 360 for example. However, console games are ripped out of there regular environment making them open for hackes. PC games have an advantage because they can manipulate the environment. I’m not saying it is imposible to hack a PC game but it is much harder then console games.

Personally I prefer to include a EULA and trust players to abide by it.

This is fine if you release it to the Blender Artist Forums. But if someone even considers putting it on other sites, they should atleast consider protection, but this again is just an opinion.

(black reaper) #28

I Agree with you c-106 delta.

I mean code and stuff arent so important but since you spend work making model environnement or if you plan to sell them ( what I doing) you don’t wanh to see you character in someone game you don’t know if if was about sharing tricks or tips of the function of blender game this would be a big deal. what I want to say is just my model take some time to make and because some people are a way too lazy and take free model from everywhere and mess with them in crappy game, I don’t want to share them.

But the problem is even if it’s cool for the community to share code model and stuff we should have the right to protect some of our work and not being exposed to plagiat or anything. I think c-106 delta is just giving us the choice to share or to keep.

(C-106 Delta) #29

I mean code and stuff arent so important but since you spend work making model environnement or if you plan to sell them ( what I doing) you don’t wanh to see you character in someone game you don’t know if if was about sharing tricks or tips of the function of blender game this would be a big deal. what I want to say is just my model take some time to make and because some people are a way too lazy and take free model from everywhere and mess with them in crappy game, I don’t want to share them.

If you want to protect your models, you do have the GPL (General Public License). Unless you make something like a fan game, many people will not steal your models (hopefully). Also, the original propose of the protection was not to make money.

since you spend work making model environnement

When I said PC environment, I didn’t mean the environments in games. I meant the inwards of an OS system.

(PlantPerson) #30

If you don’t plan on selling the game anyway, what is the advantage of the protection? Just self-flattering and paranoia?

(C-106 Delta) #31

If you don’t plan on selling the game anyway, what is the advantage of the protection? Just self-flattering and paranoia?

No, the original propose that I made it for, was to make Blender more user friendly to online games and fan gaming. Personally I wouldn’t want people bouncing outside games off my server (which would slow it down). I also wouldn’t want mass amounts of people to know my IP address. And have you ever see fan game forums? If you did, you would understand the need for protection. There are probably dozens of other uses for protection too.

And there ARE people who like to make games as a hobby, not just money. xP

(Mico27) #32

at least i agree that
:yes:

(FuzzMaster) #33

well considering the majority of fangames use stolen sprites/models, particularly the former, yes I do understand the need for protection ^_~