Blender tutorial collection by Christoph Werner (growing constantly...)

Hi Blender friends.

I already have a YouTube channel since years. After a break I’ve started to publish new content yesterday by presenting short tips for Blender users, beginners and advanced.

In my first quick tip video you will learn how to control the values of multiple materials in Blender concurrently, like the color e.g.

Thank you and have fun watching!

If you like my free videos, support me by subscribing my YouTube channel or visit my shop at:

10 Likes

My quick tip number 2 is out now!

Learn how to set objects with random colors by using a single material in Blender.

If you like my free videos, support me by subscribing my YouTube channel or visit my shop at:

1 Like

As you maybe know I’m publishing tutorials since some years. This new Blender series will be published in irregular intervals but not immediately. I’ll produce one as soon as I’ve some time off and try to keep a break of one week between every new release.

Now you have the ability to watch my quick tip videos much earlier than the official audience on YouTube, directly after their completion. This regards videos only, that are longer than 15 min. Because of their length, they are more a kind of small tutorials than “quick tips”…

But why pay for content that will be published later for free anyway?

The main reason is: I’m not allowed to publish download content on gumroad for an amount of “0+” that is larger then 25 MBytes. My video files are much bigger and gumroad sets the rules here.

On the other hand your support helps me to produce more of such content in the future. I’m a freelance artist and not employed, so every buck makes the life easier.

So take a look and check my prereleases, if you like. There is always a short intro video included, so you can watch them first before downloading the whole tutorial.

Thank you very much for your support! :+1:
Chris

You 'll find the prerelases in my official gumroad shop. The blend files are mostly also included!

1 Like

Ok friends. Quick tip no 3 is out now!
Control material values via drivers:

Off you need the .blend file, visit my gumroad shop:

1 Like

Quick tip time! No 4 is out now:

How to create double sided materials.

OK friends. I did it again…

Quick tip time! No 5 is out now:
How to create an interactive shelf using drivers.

Be warned. This one is not really a “quick tip”… it’s about 40 minutes long! So more a small tutorial, then a quick tip… :grin:

1 Like

The story continues. Another quick tip video is online. In episode 6 you learn:

How to setup an animation rig for train wheels.

Have fun watching!

1 Like

Quick tip No 7 is out now!

OK, again it’s actually not really a quick tip, but more a small tutorial.
So if you are a beginner and have 44 minutes of time to listen my “bad english”, then this is something for you. :wink: But even advanced users may find some interesting tips in my video for sure.

Watch how to create a simple sword by using mainly modifiers!

You’ll get a partially nondestructive result.

We keep the sword topic. In my Blender quick tip No 8 you will learn

How to create a leather wrap for a sword grip, the "quick & dirty way"

1 Like

After a longer break I’ve a new small tutorial for you.

Blender quick tutorial No 9: How to create dynamic Mountains in Blender based on Modifiers

In this small tutorial I show you, how to create dynamic mountains in Blender by using modifiers.

Dynamic means: You can displace the ground in realtime, while you’re moving, rotating or scaling the mountain patch. This method is not based on shrinkwrapping, if you may think. My method is using pure texture information and dynamic vertex group modification.

You can use bitmaps for the mountain structure or even procedural texture information. Additionally you can define the height influence or the structure shape, just by changing the controller mesh data, e.g.

A lot of cool effects are possible with this technique, not just mountains…

You can download the .blend file for free on my website:

3 Likes

And it’s going on…

In this quick tutorial I show you, how to create a procedural mountain material in Blender. This video is based on my Dynamic Mountain Blender tutorial No 9, you find above.

Drop me a line if you have questions.
You can download the related .blend file on my website for free.

1 Like

Here we’re again… A new quick tutorial.
This time I show you how assign materials by drag and drop in Blender. We create a quick and dirty pseudo “material manager”, without any programming knowledge. This tip isn’t really a bammer, but useful.

https://youtu.be/_w70xQoRhAM

2 Likes

In this video tutorial I show you how to use the baking system in Blender 2.8. Especially you‘ll see a solution for Baking the alpha channel for transparent objects. Alpha channels won’t be calculated automatically in Blender 2.82 or before versions, but I’ll show you a smart trick how to do it.

If you are already familiar with Blenders baking system and just would like to know, what you’ve keep in mind when baking alpha channels, then jump to the time stamp at 12:36 min in the video.

1 Like

It’s time for some Blender compositing hints!
Today I show you how to create a leaf texture, that was taken by a simple smartphone. But we’ll not use a 2D application like Adobe Photoshop, Gimp or Krita - no! Instead we create the complete texture inside Blenders Compositor!
I show you how to do it with just a few nodes and some clicks! Beside creating the texture you’ll get some insights into the compositor, Blenders hidden treasure!

Watch my new quick tutorial how to display a material color of an object, in the “solid mode” of Blenders 3D viewport by using drivers.

Watch my new tutorial No. 15: How to animate the render visibility of collections.

By default you can’t animate the render visibility of collections in Blender. There are solutions to control the render visibility of multiple objects by using drivers, but this way is complex and not good understand for everyone. In my video I show you a much simpler and more flexible way to do this.

1 Like

Blender tutorial No. 16: How to create light layers in Blenders compositor

Today we talk about light layers. In my example “light layers” are actually rendered images of all light sources in a 3D scene. Every rendering is representing a single light object, a light group or a complete world lighting.

The final rendered results will be used in Blenders compositor to control their light intensity and color. All your lighting adjustments will be updated in about real time. And because every image is already in high quality, there is no need to rerender the whole scene when changing the light intensity. And the very best: you can do this even for complete frame sets or animate the light values, if needed. This can be a real time saver!

This video is for compositing newbies, intermediate users and all who are interested in this technique.

If you don’t like to watch the full video, you can use the time links in the video description on YT to jump directly to the topic you’re interested in.

Have fun!

Are you a professional Blender artist?

I’ve just published a short pro version of my latest free Light Layers tutorial. So if you’re are already familiar with Blender or have less time, then this is the right one for you.

By the way: My technique is similar to Light Mixing techniques in other apps. So if you’re interested, watch it on my You Tube channel.

Trailer for my next free tutorial

This is the trailer for my upcoming free Blender tutorial how to create a basic car rig without using third party Addons. All will be done with Blenders internal functions.

The whole animation will be controlled just by one single value. No complex keyframe animations are needed. You define the direction and speed and the car just drives.

As always I’ll explain all steps in detail, so you don’t need much Blender experience to follow this tutorial. This tutorial is not aimed at reality, but you’ll learn some basic functions to create your own rigs.

Learn how to:

• Define your own driving paths
  • Create automatic wheel rotation
  • Define the wheel speed and rotation by the cars motion and direction
  • Control the steering wheel by the current front wheels orientation
1 Like

Finally I’m ready with my new tutorial. This time I’ve prepared two versions: A version for professional users and a long and detailed version, that describes all steps.

In this tutorial I show you a rig setup to control a car. No custom rigging Addons are needed, just Blender. After this tutorial you’ll be able to let drive a vehicle on a custom defined path. You define the driving direction and speed. And the car just follows.

The wheels will rotate using the right revolution, even backwards if necessary. And the car driver behaves also realistic and moves the steering wheel according to the wheels current direction.

All this happens completely automatically, without setting dozens of keyframes! The whole animation is controlled just by one value!

Version for professional users:

Detailed step by step version