Blender RAM Total take over?

I don’t know if I’m the only one that has this problem. I’m using Windows 7 on a intel core i5 64 bit possessor, with 8 GB of RAM. Blender 2.58.1
When I start rendering a movie, Blender slowly uses up the RAM to about 7.7 GBs, then starts using my virtual RAM. That takes a lot longer to use up, but uses it all just the same. When everything is full, Blender gets unstable and crashes in many different ways.

Is there some option I should turn off I don’t know about?

Try ticking the “Save Buffers” check box on the Performance tab under the Render properties. This was designed to save memory and is supposedly optimizable in conjunction with the “Tiles:” field. More X parts and Y parts is supposed to optimize memory usage (to a point) when writing these tiles to disk.

Unfortunately, any time I’ve needed this, my scene was big enough to crash blender any way. Splitting the render into several scenes will definitely save memory as memory gets completely freed between scenes but you may end up crashing Blender during the composite if you run out of buffer space due to too many images clogging up memory.

I had asked one of the devs if they could and a feature to allow openexr to limit all files to 16 bits per channel rather than the standard 32 bits (16 is more than adequate for any vfx work) but was told “No Way”. This kind of option would stop many of the crashes that occur since all images like 8bits per channel .jpg’s are converted to a minimum of 32bits rgba upon import into Blender.

Other than these options or compositing in another app, you may be out of luck.

That sounds like a memory leak. You should maybe file a bug report.

under linux:

google: valgrind
download
start console

valgrind --tool=memcheck blender

start render, stop render, exit blender, check log to see if there are leaks :wink:
But if you are using big resolutions, lots of compositing, or heavy particle or simulations you might as well just run out of memory.

but i am certain there´s a memory leak finder for windows too… I know there´s one in Visual Studio, but not everyone got it and I dont know if the express version has it.

hehe, I was only rendering a movie of something just a little more complex than the default cube. It reminded me of a leak too. I ran it again and it did the same thing, but this time when the memory ran out, it gave me a notice, then seemed to fix itself.
I’m going to check those options anyway.

I just found something out; If Blender is minimized it won’t pile more into the memory. Sometime it will even dump what’s in the memory.

Hmmmmm.

I get this with an svn build:-

LEAK SUMMARY:
==16184== definitely lost: 262,828 bytes in 5 blocks
==16184== indirectly lost: 176 bytes in 4 blocks
==16184== possibly lost: 1,150,630 bytes in 929 blocks
==16184== still reachable: 12,656,590 bytes in 8,538 blocks
==16184== suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==16184== Reachable blocks (those to which a pointer was found) are not shown.

Is it a Blender issue, or could something else contribute?

It may just be the flashy windows eye-candy. I don’t remember having problems with it turned off.

It won’t be that, I’m on linux :slight_smile:

valgrind is kind of hard to use, I also don´t know how it performs with OpenMP. But it´s very possible Blender got a leak somewhere. You can be a kickass coder but still produce a leak here or there, especially with complex data structures and even easier with C than with CPP.

It might als be possible that an addon is producing them. I don´t know how memory management works within the pyhton API, but I guess a carelessly coded addon can cause a leak too.