Blender raytracing

Pretty much the only problem with POVray, YafRay and the like is the need to export from blender to use them.
I’m considering trying to write a raytracer that directly opens .blend files and renders them.
I’ll open the source once i’ve got it working, so it can be put into the blender code.
(If i get a lot of support here, it might boost my ego enough to actually start doing this daunting task… :wink: )
Any comments? suggestions?

go for it! it would be great to have something like this!!! :smiley:

That would be extreamly cool. If I actually knew how to program I’d offer my assistance.

Goo

I’ve dabbled in the black arts of 3d before, so it won’d be completely new :stuck_out_tongue:
go to http://www.geocities.com/phlipping/3d to see a flash program i made about 2 years ago as a major project in yr11.
If it sits there saying “loading object list” doing nothing, you ran the wrong one. That one uses PHP to get the models, and despite Geocities’ ads saying “PHP and MySQL support”, it doesn’t work :< :< :< (see http://www.geocities.com/phlipping/3d/dirmodels.php for example)
Move the mouse around to manipulate the model.

They are working on “simple” external renderer support… the tuphopuu blender build already has basic support for 3Delight straight from the render interface… just select the renderer and press the render button… or F12… It will be that simple soon. No python scripts to worry about just direct access to the renderers. Check it out… search in the Game Engine forum on Blender.org for the latest tuhopuu build with preliminary game engine support also. Or check the tuhopuu CVS tree and read the features file to see what new features are added or being worked on.

Sounds like a horrendous task to take on, but I would be lying if I said “don’t think you ought to do it”. Of course you should go for it!

Even though renderman renderers will be quite smooth to use in a near future, I don’t see why this should stop you.

The way I feel about it, there are really only three things that make the built-in scanliner a bad renderer: the lack of real reflections, refraction and a decent selection of antialiasing filter settings… Maybe “just” hook into the current render code and add those things :smiley:

The way I feel about it, there are really only three things that make the built-in scanliner a bad renderer: the lack of real reflections, refraction and a decent selection of antialiasing filter settings… Maybe “just” hook into the current render code and add those things

excellent advise.

i’d be up for an undo button too, if you have some free time.
lol.

:slight_smile:

I used Yafray for the first time about a month ago, and was surprised to see how easy it was with the Yable script. While I think Blender needs some kind of ray tracing support, and it would probably be better if it were natively accessible, the Yafray/Yable combo is an alternative that isn’t all that bad. If they ever get the Python API ironed out, I imagine that at some point, you won’t even have to know that you’re running a Pyhton script.

blahblah… Lightflow script… more blah…

nevermind…

eeshlo-

Sorry things worked out like that. I just now got interested in what I could do with an external renderer, and one of the things I’ve always had a problem with is the difference between native Blender textures (not UV), and having to make some kind of substitute when it came time to use an external renderer. It sounds like your script may have take care of this. Is your script still available? Is LightFlow still available?

It sounds like your script may have take care of this. Is your script still available? Is LightFlow still available?

The script no, Lightflow yes (http://www.lightflowtech.com).

… there used to be some text here, now it’s gone …

If that could comfort you eeshlo ( :wink: ), some of us awaited your script with impatience!
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4212&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Philip, why not participate to the Blender/Renderers interfacing project? Although multiple developments increase richness of a free app, a bit of coordination and rationnal gestion of energies increase development speed. You coders never think about us poor non-coders who wait for your work to finally be release! :smiley:

c.u.
Hughes (currently learning Python to be free!)

Well, not entirely forgotten yet…
A French website ‘linuxgraphic.org’ has a link to it on the front page.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/barnierf/LFexportGUI_L.tar.gz

So anyone who wants to try…
I always liked the LightFlow output a lot. Too bad it remains frozen in time.

Sorry, Eeshlo, it must be quite a bummer making a script like that, putting in all that effort and time and then having less than enthousiastic feedback…

Even though I never used it, I appreciate the work you do for our community.
Ah well…

Well, thanks everybody, but I feel a bit weird about what I wrote here :expressionless:

Anyway, glad the linux version is available somewhere at least.

All you are asking for is ego stroking? Heck, stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, I can go on… stroke, stroke, stroke, and on as long as you’re happy and code away, stroke stroke… :smiley:

Love ya, Ingie

Oh, by the way, my number one interest in having an integrated raytracer is so that eventually it can be hooked up with the game engine. I hope that will be possible some day???

stroke
stroke
stroke
you too eeshlo, stroke
stroke…

I feared that would come up, I was only trying to make people aware of the fact that there was done some work in that area before, but seemed to go unnoticed… nothing important. There are better options now.

Your script was a joy to use. I’m sorry that the renderer exported to was not… maybe if japoco had not melted off the face of the earth…

any news from him?

advice is spelled with a ‘c’ %|

phlip: i think it’d be a good idea to team up with jandro, cause yafray rox, and if you’d be able to render directly from .blend files (with particle support %| ) that would be AWESOME!!!

please blendermax… do understand that all of us aren’t english speakers and that we do efforts to express ourselves correctly here.

Dani

Eeshlo, I said you were wrong and I prove it: in the current Linux Magazine France (special issue #14 march-april 2003), we got a full 4 pages on Lightflow and…
YOUR SCRIPT!
Isn’t that fame and recognition?!

some quotes (the author is Frank Barnier):

“After countless python export scripts of a Blender scene to a Lightflow format tests , I gave up, no one worked.
And then recently, I came across a website which sung the praise about a conversion script. A little doubtful I decided to test it however. And there… Waw!.. I fell on my bottom (to remain polite). At last, a well written, clean, and above all efficient python script”

“This script is the most achieved and the most complete one I ever came to know…”

“… this script is the ideal tool to produce amazingly realistic images with Blender.”

…but the author gives the URL’s of the scripts (both linux and win$) on your site!

Well it seems that your are awaited to go back to work! :smiley:
You know, the best piece of soft is nothing without a little advertisment. What about a proud Lightfow+Eeshloscript website, instead of a lonely archive modestly hidden in a misc script page?

c.u
Hughes

ps: an info in the same article: the author contacted J Pantaleoni who confirmed the giving up of Lightflow development :frowning: … because he is currently developping a new rendering engine! :stuck_out_tongue: and from what the journalist heard from Jacopo, it will badly kick ass!