Blender Render + GPU Acceleration

cekhunen

I find vectors working for directional blur. DoF blur I think is pretty descent. only problem I’ve had is that the background can bleed into the object.

I’ve been working on my short animation for almost 2 years now and for me BI is perfect, I can use raytracing on big scenes without exceeding 5mn by frame, I can simulate GI, everything is possible with some work.
For me, unbiased rendering is for lazy people, only one lamp to add, no control over the lighting, just hit render and have a coffee …
There’s no bad tool, only bad users (Tribute to Endi).

only problem I’ve had is that the background can bleed into the object.
Yeah. I got tricked by that once, but solved it using extra nodes to mask the blur. But pulled a lot of hair before that.

edit: and we can’t even complain, 'cause the behaviour is correct. The right way is actually to ‘mask’ the effect, which messes with something that’s correct.

Hi aermartin

that’s the one I am talking about. When made engine animations we quickly noticed
that the vector blur has issues with non-linear motions. Well it makes sense since
the vector blur uses a linear motion to calculate the blur.

My point is that that post-pro are a great time saver as long as what you want is also
possible with them.

Serialsiner

you must know it.

Isn’t there a setting which reduces the bleed?

Or people who don’t have time to screw around with faking light setups. Different ballgames, man.

What you need is an introduction to ray tracing! Here you go!

Ray Tracing from the Ground Up

I expect to see a new contributor to BI sometime soon.

If you don’t have time then forget 3d stuff, all this requires lot’s of time : modeling, unwrapping, texturing, lighting …

True this is the way to go spend lots and lots of time setting up bounce lights and trying to fake GI so that your render can look like it came from the 90’s.

Serial - do you also repeat what you mom tells you?

Ok guys, BI is a crap I won’t use it anymore … You’re all right, I’ll be waiting for GPU rendering In Blender in order to finish my project.

I remember back in the day when Blender users on this forum did not want Blender to have a “gay tracer” integrated. They argued that they could achieve everything that a ray tracing engine could by using all these shortcuts and cheats. Like setting up a duplicate scene below the ground plane to simulate a glossy floor.

In the end, the devs implemented a real ray tracer and Blender is better because of it. I find some of the same arguments going on here. “We don’t need those new features that other engines have…we can fake it!”

@serailsiner: you can work as long as you want with BI. It still won’t give you certain photorealistic effects (pro-level tested). It is a matter of fact. So if BI is good or perfect for some kind of works, it is inadequate for others. Don’t get it just white or black. There are also greys.

I personnaly never said that I didn’t want a accelerated rendering system or anything that would improve Blender in any way, what just made me react was the first sentence of the thread :

Why isn’t Blender’s internal renderer as good as Octane or VRay?! It’s so slow and bad, who uses it anyway?

I’ve been using Blender for nearly ten years now (far before raytracing integration) and I can tell that Blender actually is a fantastic tool. The former typical sentence was “The interface sucks”, now with a new UI, users ask for an improved renderer … In my humble opinion it is better to stick to what you have, trying to use every aspect of your tool, mastering your technique before asking for the next feature that will do the job for you …

There is an octane2Blender exporter available!
Yayyy! Link:
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4035&start=20

The link is visible to customers only.
I dont need another renderer beside octane.
For other stuff i use the Internal renderer of blender…

Hmm I want that book now.

Serialsiner, you forgot “:mad:”. It was just bad, provocative and unnucessary humor. Sorry.

Ok, I maybe overreacted too, forget it :evilgrin:

Concerning that the next open movie will be about photo realistic scenes combined with real footage there will be some improvents to BI. In order to speed things up: Give money to the Foundation, buy stuff from the e-shop or sponsor a developer directly…

Serialsiner

I and many here do not say BI is crap. It, as Ton him self states, lacks many
features modern engines have. And as he went more in detail when I talked to
him this includes the material system as well as the render engine.

As annoying feature requesters are as annoying are those who say you can fake
it and GI etc is useless / not needed.

Also you make as many other anti-GI people the same causal argumentation error
of declaring that BI is perfect because it fits your needs and in addition state that
GI is useless because A) one can fake it and B) in animation it is to slow.

I really ask myself why it is so impossible to have a normal discussion about how
to improve Blender’s render engine.

This is kinda sad and embarrassing.