Blender Runs new 3d printer costing only 100 dollars!

You’re absolutely right.

Maybe the best course would be to lower the print instead of raising the water.This would allow the raft to open over it to change resins. The platform that the print sits on would need to raise and lower very repeatably, so that the change over didn’t mess with the alignment.

Hello? Yes, this is dog!

Actually this is Gage, resident 3D artist for the Peachy team. Just putting myself out there and I hope to be of service. Know that while I am not an engineer I still might be able to answer a few questions about the technical stuff and generally contribute to discussion in this thread. In the meantime I return to Blender.

ugg yes That was a type ow that got missed ! I consider it to be one of my biggest mistakes so far … and the worst part is that I cant change it, for understandably good reasons kick starter has a hard rule about that.

Im posting about it in the faq coming soon
being that this is my first kick starter Ive made quite a few mistakes, and I feel extra bad about it as this thing is going so big!

It all looked so clear and perfect when I clicked launch… I guess thats just the bias one has when they have worked something for a year.

To answer you question here is a quote from the soon to be posted Peachy Printer FAQ

"
What is required to complete the Peachy Printer Kit?

The kit comes with all the unique parts required to assemble the peachy printer in under an hour. All that you will need to purchase on your end is two reservoirs for the resin, and a way to mount the reservoirs so one is above the other. With the current design the only required tools to assemble the printer include a utility knife, and small screw driver, and we intend to keep this as simple as possible, no special tools will be required.

For reservoirs you can use almost anything that can hold liquid, disposable cups, pop bottle bottoms, aquariums, or if you want to print something larger a rain barrel could be used. Basically the options are endless and depend on how large of an object you are planning on printing. Keep in mind that build volumes of such a size have not yet been tested.

What is the difference between the early bird $90 kit, and the $100 kits you currently have available?

There is no difference between the two kits other than price, we apologize for the confusion using the words “everything you need”, the $90 kit will also require you get your own reservoirs and mounting system, same as the $100 kit.

"

I don’t blame you at all I blame my self, just hope everyone can understand that the confusion was unintentional!

Ah thanks for joining this form Gage! Post a way if you get something wrong ill come and clarify .

This is a GREAT Idea, The raft thing is extremely simple and Cheap! I love the multi section raft and the idea to actuate the raft movement with the laser… all great stuff… Drewu I can honestly say your the first person out there on the internet to add what I would call a paradime shifting idea to the Peachy Project.
Seriously this is really great stuff! and with Great timing … I have 2 new resins 2 relice :smiley: Working on the video now!

Drewu if you have time and feel that your the right person for the task id love to send you everything you need to try this out!!!

… pm ing you now

Rylan Grayston

ps
This is exactly why I wanted this project to be open open OPEN, I worked on this for a year, knowing about different resin types and still didn’t think of this simple solution.

OHHHH he dose it again… I agree. Lets implement some kind of sealed solenoid base triggered by a light sensor. The viscosity of the water could be utilized to smooth the usually abrupt motion of the solenoid.

Idea for raft movemnt … a 2 x 2 grid of conected rafts… that rotate around a vertical rod holding raft in the x and y but allowing it to slide on the z
… small electro magnets(actuated by he laser) cause the raft to spin moving the desired resin type over the print.

Im so confident this would work Im thinking about a multi resin raft perk addon already

Rylan Grayston

And remember the problems it would have when the connection wasn’t exactly right?

Yes, and I also remember the innovative solution Alpha Micro came up with to solve that particular problem: loading five copies onto VCR tape and comparing the data as it played in from the VCR Player.

Thanks for responding. I hope you can see that your response is pretty god damn vague. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the user purchased materials assembled the way they need to be put together to install the unique parts you provide? Or a diagram, or something other than “Hey, guy… you figure it out. Do I have to do all the work here?”

Well, since you are selling a product, yes, you do have to do all the work. Your do-it-yourself printer builders are going to need a bit more to go on than just “the options are endless…”

Here is my suggestion, if you are not completely put off by the tone of this post: Provide a reservoir design with parts breakout for a printer that can make something approximately the size of a kitchen timer. Then design another one that will produce something half that size, and a third that will produce something twice as large. Avoid going the disposable cup, cut off soda bottle route, build something at least as solid and reliable as the parts you provide.

Hey not botherd by the tone of this post at all, Im all for free speech and strong opinions … altho I have done almost everything you ask, There are things I wish I had done to make it more clear!

I actually feel like Im being specific when i say you can use anything … because you really can!
I list cheap containers like pop bottles because that proves that you can really can get your printer working for 100 bucks!

your asking for a diagram … well I did much better … modled a 3d diagram of the printer , then animated it and did a voice over explaining how it works!
Im guessing you just didnt see it…

After seeing that it shuld be rather clear how simple it is to build your own.
Honestly anyone that finds it hard to figure out how they can hold one container above another using pipe should probably purchase the pre assembled. Having said that there will be lots of clear instruction and example setups posted before we ship.

Ive also posted 7 pictures of the parts and iner workings of the printer on the kick starter… these are some of the parts you will receive.

Your suggestions are Perfect and This is already what I plan to do in the instructional Video in which you will be able to see me build some kits from scratch!
It would be much better if I had this done already, but I dont, my bad.

Rylan Grayston

So I’m curious, and do forgive my ignorance, I haven’t done much with 3D printing, but with this idea of multi resin printing would you be able to get two resins of different colors close enough together to simulate a color that is between them?

For instance, if you had both a black resin and a white resin would you be able to print something with differing levels of gray? If you have cyan, magenta, and yellow resins in addition to the black and white resins, could you then print out something in full color? Perhaps then add a transparent resin to get an alpha value when printing?

I’m not sure, to be honest. This hasn’t been done with any type of resin based 3d printer to date because normally resin printers print parts upside-down, gradually drawing them out of the fluid bath.

I want to say that it’s possible, though it may not be practical. A good bit of time would go into each material switch. At very least, you would need an extra actuator to “pause” the z drip so that you have enough time for each micro-layer of color.

As far as coloring goes, the MakerJuice website sells clear resins that you can pigment (they also sell pigment). They do not appear to have all the pigments needed to do full color though. If such a thing is tested to be viable, I imagine they will in the future.

http://makerjuice.com/product-category/pigments/

I have been working with my printer setup and Im very confident this will work extremely well

Josh Eliss at maker juice is really into user choices and customer service!
He definitely aims to provide a hole range of really flexible mixable products!

In my experience so far I think you could do all of this, but I think it would greatly increase the print time.
and require some workarounds… which i wish i had time to post about here today.

I have been working with my printer setup and Im very confident this will work extremely well

Josh Eliss at maker juice is really into user choices and customer service!
He definitely aims to provide a hole range of really flexible mixable products!

It sounds like you’re saying that pre-print color mixing will be doable in the near future but that printing full color may not be as easy, correct? It would be a real shame if some people thought that full color printing was a sure thing and it turned out to not work.

I’m glad you’re testing things out. Just don’t forget to show us pictures! Even if the test is hackish, don’t be shy :slight_smile:

This is awesome. Hats off to you sir, for coming up with this frankly genious solution.

@rylangrayston
After reading up again about nitinol, I’m not sure it would be the best actuator option for the resin switching raft. I will still probably order some once I get paid, but at this point it doesn’t look as good as I remembered it. It just doesn’t seem strong enough.

Speaking of ordering stuff though, you might want to try asking for samples from parts suppliers. They should be more than happy to give you some for free, considering the kickstarter and it’s position. You’re a potential customer :stuck_out_tongue:

How do you deal with different rates of evaporation caused by different air temperatures and humidity levels?

How do you deal with different rates of evaporation caused by different air temperatures and humidity levels?

I don’t think that evaporation is an issue because the resin sits on top of the salt water.

Brand new update including
Laser light show and new beta tester slots!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc/posts