Blender sculpting, why not use existing functions from ZBrush

I found a very interesting 3d app called ZBrush and I got shocked when I looked at the feature list: http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/01_UI/

I think Blender could use some functions and ideas from this software and just make them better. The main features I would like to see in future blender version (probably not 2.5) would be the following:

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/03_ZSpheres/
A must have, most important is however the final mesh that’s really clean and good. A feature you could add would be the possibility to paint where the resolution should be higher or lower,but thet sounds really hard to code but this place is full of geniuses, so it’s not a problem

And it would also rock to be able to sculpt directly on to the normal map! (That have to be in 2.5!)

Please say what you think about the ideas!

Yeah, ZBrush is an amazing sculpting program. I use it very often, and I’m on my way to becoming a better sculptor :slight_smile: .

ZSphere’s in ZBrush are very… dodgy… For me, they rarely work right, or accurately create the shapes I want them to. In Blender, the Envelope draw option for armatures looks very much like ZSphere’s (in fact, someone made a BSphere script, I forget where it is though). They’re actually much easier to make shapes with than ZBrush’es Zspheres.

I agree with you, and it would be nice if Blender had similar functions.

Maybe blender should add Goz support?
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/GoZBrush/

http://www.gravity-music.net/skinny/

found it, use it, love it!!! But I still want it built in with more freedom in blender.

If ZBrush would be free… but maybe that would be smart if pixologic would do it

Still think blender should replace all the softwares that costs

I was hoping for that as well. But, isn’t GoZ support decided by the ZBrush people? Or can someone just code it? I’d hope Blender would be compatible with GoZ. That’d be a perfect union, in my opinion.

From the Pixologic page announcing GoZ
“A detailed GoZBrush communication protocol and software development kit (sdk) will be made available at GoZBrush.com following the release of GoZ. This will enable you to easily customize GoZ to fit your existing pipeline.”

Richard

Good, good! :slight_smile:

ZBrush and Blender could be a good idea, but nothing says that blender couldn’t replace many tools from ZBrush. The scripts skinning is kind of bad (compared to ZBrush) and that is very, very, very important. If Blender could build in those functions an make them better, blender could replace ZSpheres, and therefore the main functions from ZBrush!

But is there a chance that that feature would be seen in 2.5?

The envolope works great as ZSpheres.

Masking is the one thing i miss from zbrush.

Actually the only real feature would be to convert envelopes to mesh, but that function has to be GOOD! Not like the meta balls, look at ZBrush site. The mesh is actually perfect.

I think you’re being very optimistic. I find zspheres in zbrush can give total control in creating a base mesh for sculpting. With their placement you can control where you need increased poly density for finer sculpting and where you don’t. The sculpting in blender I just find so cumbersome. I agree that masking is a crucial omission.

Blender is a poly modeller at heart with a useful sculpting mode tacked on. ZBrush is a sculpting program and feels like one compared to blender.

Richard

Why Blender cant make good terrains as Vue?

Masking is possible, you can use vertec groups, while not as quick as Zbrush, it is there, so i’m guessing a way of painting a mask on would be possible.

Also like some one said blender is a modeling/ animation tool at heart, Zbrush is solely a sculpting program, to very diffrent things. while having the functions in blender would be good, i’d much rather have it develope as a strong modeling and animation tool, since that is what Zbrush can’t do.

I think you’re being very optimistic. I find zspheres in zbrush can give total control in creating a base mesh for sculpting. With their placement you can control where you need increased poly density for finer sculpting and where you don’t. The sculpting in blender I just find so cumbersome. I agree that masking is a crucial omission.

Blender is a poly modeller at heart with a useful sculpting mode tacked on. ZBrush is a sculpting program and feels like one compared to blender.

Richard

Maybe you are right, but maybe not everyone wants to buy a licenses for ZBrush. If blender adopts ZSpheres Blender would become much better, and that combined with the rest of blender… that would be powerful. ZBrush would maybe be better in sculpting, but that’s no reason for not adding more functions to blender. ZSpheres is a fantastic tool itself and not only for sculpting, thats why I think blender should have that function.

Blender should build on its strengths rather than try to be spread its abilities too thinly. Its sculpting tools are fine to enhance you model and create basic normal maps. I use Blender for its strengths and ZBrush for its strengths.

Richard

As far as I know, blender has been originally designed as a poly modelling program, while zbrush is developped as a sculpting program, therefore the basic structure is, I think, very different, as zbrush doesn’t work with polies the same as blender it can support more polies, yet you cant change them in editmode like in blender. The difference in the structure makes it harder to create some features in blender that are in zbrush. But that’s what I know and assume as I’m not a zbrush user and don’t have a lot of knowledge about either blenders internal structure or zbrushs internal structure.

I would still like to see more Improvements as far as the sculpting goes,
and there is a gsoc project that aimes at improving the multi res of blender, which will probably improve blenders sculpting tools; http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nicholasbishop/SummerOfCode2008

edit: I agree with Richard, there’s no need to not use zbrush, except for the license, but not everything is free, and as far as I have heard, the workflow from blender to zbrush to blender isn’t too bad.

Well ZSpheres are not sculpting, it’s a powerful tool to quickly create base meshes, a function that fits blender nicely. Me go for ZSpheres in blender, where the most important thing would be how the mesh looks like.

And I would also like to see some better sculpting tools.

if you want to get a taste of the 2008 GSOC multires work try out 2.50 sculpting where multires has been made into a modifer though 2.50 sculpting is still very wip

One thing that makes a zbrush liscence very attractive and why I am saving up for one is that if you bought zbrush 3.0 for example than you get future upgrades for free which to me is too bad at all.

Blender is focus is more on the poly modeling and animation side of things so I don’t know if it will ever close the gap to zbrush

Well, if you want what you want Right Now then that seems to be the only option.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch.