Blender Sequencer Compositing Idea

I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, but I want to know how other think of this idea.

I see blender sequencer is a really really potential part of blender, if it is improved, I can see that it can be game changing. The Scene Strip in blender is Super Amazing, and I absolutely love it.

Now, the down side of VSE, is that its pretty limited in terms of the effect section, now blender have a compositing editor, and you can composite directly in the scene itself, which is nice. But sometimes, you just want to composite / do minor edits on a strip level, sometimes even make variation of it.

I’ve thought of many way on how compositor and VSE can work together, and so here I think this is probably a very nice way to marry compositor and sequencer together.

First of all, the idea i suggest, is to make changes to compositor to be able to change node tree (Similar to Material Shader editor) this way, you can create multiple node tree in a scene, and switch them whenever you want. instead of stuck to one compositing node tree.

So now, this node tree, can be apply on a scene level, but, now since we have multiple node tree, now here comes the sequencer part.

In sequencer, instead of using the prebuild “Adjustment Effect” that is very basic, imagine if there is a modifier call “Effects / Node Tree” modifier, where it is a modifier for scene strip, and it takes nodetree as an input, and it will apply whatever the nodetree is, to the scene strip.

Of course, blender should have some “prebuild” effects that is basicly using the same thing, just is preset / prebuild.

Using this method, you can treat each nodetree as an “Effect”, and since it is a modifier, you can stack them, this way, you get the advantage of node base compositing, as well as layer base compositing.

If you are a casual user, you can just use the prebuild “effects” and make something, while if you are a advanced user, you can create you own “effects” in the node editor.

I think this idea have many potential, people can make their own effects, and upload for people to download to append, making it feels like a effect. And people can choose what information to expose to make iteration on the node tree if they want to.

Im not sure if this is a good idea, perhaps it could cause some problem, or perhaps it doesnt work well with blender’s design philosophy,

first you need VSE to just work.
now it is not possible to use it.
it is so inoperative that it discourages all the desire to use it.
Try Davinci. You will understand what I am talking about. This is how VSE is supposed to work - like Davinci.

I’ve thought a lot about VSE too. I also had inspiration to make extensive use of strip scenes:

1 Like