Blender short movies

Hi, guys, I am new here, I want to ask how long will it take to create a 3D short movie in blender let’s say 2 to 4 minutes and it does not necessarily perfect just like for a small project, it is about morals sort of, and last thing, write down any tips of what it should be like, thank you.

Personally I do not have experience in doing animated short movie (just make content-product AD videos), But I can say that it will depend on the project-the quality of the “short movie” you want. Days, weeks, months, even years would be spent just for creating a few minutes of animated film.
There are lots of factors may effect the production time such as modeling, texturing, animating as well as high quality rendering. Above all, your skill - speed at creating & rigging characters will be the major factor determines the production time.

Hi, I think that it depends on how much time you can dedicate to the project; if you have a job you can only work on it in the evening and at the weekends: in that case, I guess from 6 months to 1 year.
You need to take into consideration the writing process, storyboarding it, create all model and texture them, potential rigs, animation and all the post-production.
If you don’t want to spend 6 months or 1 year on a project ('cause its to much time or you wanna finish in a relatively small amount of time) I suggest to take the story and remove all the unnecessary items (extra characters, detailed environments etc) and focus on the main character (assuming you have a character :D)
Keep it simple, the design may be minimal, a simple light setting, low poly modelling, flat colours (use eevee to render instead of cycles), consider use some free 3D models instead of modelling them.

If you are not sure about how much time it will take, try to take a simple cylinder, add 3 bones, place a spotlight, add a simple texture and try to animate (10 or 15 seconds of animation):
let him enter the scene, look around and leave the scene.
then Render export and try to do simple editing (you can do it even in Blender if you want)
This should help you to understand, more or less, how much time will require a bigger project
Hope this will help you :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much, I appreciate it, it surely helped, nice community with very nice people here :sparkling_heart:

Thank you man from all my heart. can I ask you were can I find some free 3D models, and thank you again.

Hi, you’re welcome.
Free 3D model can be found everywhere, to be honest
Take a look to this youtube channel (ASKNK) he did a lot of review of place where you can find free 3D model.
Or
my favourite is Skerchfab.
Or
Turbo squid
at least those 2 gives you good and nice free 3d models

1 Like