Blender slow down with ATI card

HP Pavilion zv6000

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB
512 MB Ram
2000 - 4000MB virtual memory
Win XP SP2

Blender has extream slowdown and interactivity problems with my system. is there any way to fix this without getting a new laptop? or does Linux work better with this type of system when blender is conserned?

Yep, and they all sound like voodoo

I don’t like the idea of using a driver dll from an older version [or even the nvidia one…], but upgrading to the latest driver should work

going with the nvidia dll probably is exactly the same as turning off hardware acceleration, blender will be consistently slow as opposed to starting quick and getting progressively less usuable.

umm, is a clean install of windows an option? is this a new laptop? … generally I think any computer bought with pre-installed software should be rebuilt within a week of purchase mostly to get all that crap off… though, did you actually get install discs for any of that software you would use? drivers? windows?

[doubt it… very annoying computer manufactuers]

You know, I have tried a few ATI cards and always end up using NVIDIA. It seems as though ATI loads a lot of software programs that run in the background, thus crapping up the computer. Some of my video games run poorly, or have bad graphics (polys), with ATI video cards.

got the problem too, and the whole dll in blender folder is not a fix, didnt even work for me.

umm, is a clean install of windows an option?

I dont think thats a good idea. ive updated stuff, gotten new drivers, clean installed new drivers, etc. didnt clean install windows though. be a waste of time. losing everything just to install the same drivers isnt gonna fix a thing i dont think.

Ati hates blender. the new version 6 drivers didnt fix a thing either. ive learned to accept it. just save, quit, restart file, and bam, good as new for 10 more minute. keeps me saving :P.

You know, that’s a good observation. You may be right about that.

You could try Linux, at least on my previous computer (Radeon 9600XT) Blender did have some performance problems on Windows but not on Linux.

That is after getting the ATI Linux drivers work. :wink:

I am using Suse 10, ati 300XT, and blender just sails.

I had the misfortune to use an ATI card for several years, and the only solution that I know of is to use the 4.4.6 (I think) drivers. As long as you aren’t doing something like SLi, you should be fine for everything else.

I am the only person on elysiun that doesn’t hate ati, lol. I haven’t had any trouble with my ati and card and blender.
Linux, is definitely worth giving a shot.

hope it starts working
Shard

i fixed the problem. i’m using a nvidia gl driver renamed to what an ati would be called, and placed it in the blender dir.

I have an ATI Radeon 9200 se 128 mb and I never had any slow downs or lock ups. Is it with specific ATI cards or am I just lucky?

You’re not THAT lucky,
I’ve got a Radeon x800, and I’ve never had a problem with speed. I’ve also got a radeon Mobility 9700(I think) on my 'top. Havn’t used blender much on it, but it doesnt seem too slow.

All I know is that blender runs much faster on my home machines than on the G4 Macs at my uni.

So no complaints from me anyway.

I’ve got a 9600XT and hacen’t had any Blender problems with it.