Blender stability question

I am trying to learn how to use this software, but am often frustrated by what seems to be program instability. For example often the view keys on the numpad suddenly become inoperative. I can still select the views, but only from the drop-down menu.
Less often, but still very annoying, the program suddenly displays a tiny box in the 3d window in which two-digit numbers are scrolling at high speed. The cursor is inoperative when this happens until I hit the enter key. Trying to continue brings up the little box again. The only answer is to quit the program and reload.
Sometimes, reloading won’t work either; I have reset the computer to get normal operation. What’s going on here?

your mouse need to be in the windows for the hotkey to work. you must make sure you aren’Mt doing anything like grabing or ratation.

Less often, but still very annoying, the program suddenly displays a tiny box in the 3d window in which two-digit numbers are scrolling at high speed. The cursor is inoperative when this happens until I hit the enter key. Trying to continue brings up the little box again. The only answer is to quit the program and reload.
Sometimes, reloading won’t work either; I have reset the computer to get normal operation. What’s going on here?

This apend when you visualise aninimation with alt-a or when you render animation, or when doing an radiosity calculation. Then blender ui is frozen but you can abort the opperations at any time by pressing ESC.

This could a a limit be a problem with your video card. if you still have serious problem (by that i mean unexpected) please post you spec fur furter help.

When I lose the views capability I am definitely “in the window”. Sometimes hitting the 7 key will zoom the object out, instead of dispalying the proper view. After that, I can’t change views with the keypad at all.

Indeed, I do have a limited card, its a 16 mb Rage 128, so perhaps that’s problem. However, why must I reset the computer to fix the problem? Isn’t that a little excessive?

In any event, thanks for your reply.