Blender suddenly very slow with only 300k vertices

Hi there,

I have been using Blender 2.69 on an iMac running OSX 10.8.5 for several months without much lag. This week however, it now takes minutes just to select a mesh of 500k vertices (the only mesh in this file) and it will become unresponsive if I try to pose a small armature controlling it. It doesn’t matter what render engine I use. I’ve installed Xcode, the GCC compiler, and confirmed they’re working but this still does not help me. I’ve looked all over the internet for solutions and this is a matter of last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The details of the mesh and my computer are below.

Verts:505246
Faces:947968
Tris:951104

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac13,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB

I don’t know too much about Macs, but I think there is several problems here. First a question though: what happened before if you tried to use/animate an obj before this problem occurred? I’m think it’s because you need more processors. On windows Core i3 can barely handle 200,000 verts, so you should probably get more. RAM also helps. Clearing your mem should also help speed things up. Start with your Temp internet files/cookies etc (cookies not so much, because they are usually like 1KB) update your ios?

It also depends on a lot of other factors, but this is my best guess. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Check your graphic card driver version, as selection depend on OpenGL implementation in driver. Maybe rollback to old one.

Does your character mesh have a subsurf modifier on it? How many levels of subdivision are visible on that modifier?