blender svn

not exactly sure if this is proper place to ask this question, forgive me if i am in error…

i downloaded and compiled a blender 2.56 build from
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/Scons#Install_the_dependencies

my question is, i get the “svn up” to update or upgrade the build, but is that it? how am i to be certain i am using the latest build? do you suppose that the builds at graphicall could be installed and maintained the same way? or do they just operate on top of my os (ubunut) rather than get installed? thank you very much.

With Blender you are never using the latest build. I generally pull down a new build from graphical every week.

Also, it is not important to use the latest build unless you have a project that is using some cutting edge new development that is still not stable.

After updating, recompile…and you have the latest version.

I may misunderstnad your question, but doing the svn up(date) is a way to download the latest source files from the server. The update process does not build blender. You have to do that by issuing another command after the update process has finished. Have a look here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux to find the appropriate command as it depends on the build system you use.

wow. that is a lot of hoops to jump through! well, no one said linux was for the faint of heart.

thanks to all for your replies!
-z

wow. that is a lot of hoops to jump through! well, no one said linux was for the faint of heart.
It’s the same hoops you have to jump through whether you are on Mac, Win, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, or any other operating system. You are talking about downloading program code and compiling it to work for your specific computer. That isn’t for a beginner user.

I use Ubuntu. I have a script that downloads and builds Blender for me so I have the newest version to have fun with every day. I just run that script, get a cup of coffee, and when I come back, I have a new Blender. If you need help setting this up for you computer, I’d be glad to help. Just PM me here.

If you would like a 64-bit build optimized for SSE2 with contributed addons included, I make that about once a day and I can just post it on my web server for you to download.

For those interested in building Blender for themselves from SVN:
Here is my userconfig.py:

BF_BUILDDIR = r'../buildOpt' 
BF_INSTALLDIR = r'../installOpt' 
WITH_BF_OPENAL = True 
WITH_BF_QUICKTIME = False 
WITH_BF_GAMEENGINE = True 
WITH_BF_PLAYER = False # set this to True whenever the player has been ported properly 
WITH_BF_JACK = True 
WITH_BF_SDL = True 
WITH_BF_ICONV = False # has something to do with Collada says loopduplicate
WITH_BF_COLLADA = False 
WITH_BF_OPENEXR = True 
WITH_BF_FFTW3 = True 
WITH_BUILDINFO = True 
WITH_BF_RAYOPTIMIZATION = True 
WITH_OPENMP = True 
WITH_BF_TIFF = True 
BF_NUMJOBS = 2 
WITH_BF_FFMPEG = True  # -DWITH_FFMPEG 
BF_FFMPEG = '/usr' 
BF_FFMPEG_LIB = 'avformat avcodec swscale avutil avdevice' 
BF_FFMPEG_INC = '${BF_FFMPEG}/include' 
BF_FFMPEG_LIBPATH='${BF_FFMPEG}/lib' 

REL_CFLAGS = ['-O3','-fomit-frame-pointer','-funroll-loops','-ffast-math' ] 
REL_CCFLAGS = ['-O3','-fomit-frame-pointer','-funroll-loops','-ffast-math' ] 

CCFLAGS = ['-pipe','-march=nocona','-ftracer','-ffast-math','-msse','-msse2','-msse3','-mmmx','-funroll-loops','-fforce-addr','-fomit-frame-pointer','-funsigned-char','-fno-strict-aliasing' ] 
CXXFLAGS = ['-pipe','-march=nocona','-ftracer','-ffast-math','-msse','-msse2','-msse3','-mmmx','-funroll-loops','-fforce-addr','-fomit-frame-pointer','-funsigned-char','-fno-strict-aliasing' ]

and here is my update and build script:

# get contributed addons - these might be unstable
cd ~/blender-svn/bf_blender_extensions
svn up
# get blender from svn
cd ~/blender-svn/blender
svn up
# make sure to use the optimized user-config.py, I have another userconfig.py file that doesn't use CFlags etc.
rm user-config.py
cp user-config.py-opt user-config.py
# remove old build directories
rm -r ../buildOpt
rm -r ../installOpt
# build blender using both cores
python scons/scons.py -j 2
# change to my installation directory
#
cd ~/blender-svn/installOpt

# strip reference at IBM
# http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.cmds/doc/aixcmds5/strip.htm
#
strip blender

When I first set up this environment, it was hard to find examples of people’s build setups. I hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

True, but most people are very excited about the fact that MakeHuman nightly builds are now very usable. At there most basic, the functionality now allows the creation and importation of a fully rigged and weight painted model, (including particle hair) in a matter of minutes.

There are also many other exciting developments that are starting to show significant progress, however, to get them to work you have to keep the MakeHuman nightly build in sync with the concurrent Blender SVN.

This also seems like a good place to point out the latest Blender SVN that I installed over the weekend is using Python 3.2, (as opposed to Python 3.1) so you now need to install Python 3.2 alongside the other four or five Pythons :eek: (it is a snap to compile and install in Ubuntu.)

loopduplicate,Your update script is fine, but to get the latest MH scripts, you need to take them from the MH nightly, so I prefer keeping my update script simple:

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/blender-svn/build; svn up ../blender; make -j2; make install

works for me.

zivojinovich:Compiling the source in Windows would probably be a lot more difficult since you would not have the friendly Linux community to help out with advice and encouragement.

Finally, I would suggest that once you have successful compiled and installed Blender SVN all updates can then be handled by a bash shell, (or .bat file in Windows,) it is better and more secure to compilation from source than use the Graphical.org downloads which seem to have a great deal of variability in how they are compiled.

This is more of a technical support question. Moved.

Where would I find good directions to build from SVN for Mac.
The directions on Blenders site are conflicting and vague (ie. ‘move up one directory’ and in another place ‘move to root directory’, two very different things)
Scons did not work for me.

Not an expert with Macs, but I use CMake on my Ubuntu box without problems.

I looked at this Blender Wiki for a Blender installation on a Mac and imagine that part of the problem is that the Wiki is describing three separate methods of installation! On the Linux/Ubuntu pages, Scons and Cmake are given different pages.

I also suspect that another part of your problem will be that the latest Blender SVN is using Python 3.2, (as opposed to Python 3.1 ) This means that you have to install Python 3.2 alongside your other Python distros. It was only released about two or three weeks ago and although there are no pre-compiled Linux packages, there is a Python 3.2 installer for the Mac

Ps

It might help to compare the Ubuntu Cmake and Scons Wikis with this composite Mac Wiki…

If nothing else, it will give you a better idea of which section of the Mac Wiki belongs to which installation method.

Building blender on a Mac. It worked fine for me up until they changed to python 3.2 but you should be able to update the process for that change. http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/10/25/building-blender-in-osx/

Thanks Richard, I didn’t see BlenderCookie had a vid on that. Thanks for the link. And by Sebastian no less.
I’ll try again on 3.2 also. Also thanks to Irvine, I’ll do the comparison.