Blender toolbar

hi, don’t know if this has been mentioned here or not, but it’s awesome cool.
& deserves more mention & attention.
http://blendernewbies.blogspot.com/2007/08/news-blendernewbies-browser-toolbar.html
yay, free Blender toolbar. It’s great. Lots of links & feeds & goodies.:yes:
thanks to Kernon who put this together.:RocknRoll:
m.a.

I’ve been using it for a couple of months now and I like it a lot. It has pretty much all I need for Blender related stuff.

Good work Kernon!

Yeah it looked really great.

The only thing that put me off is the data-mining it does to build personal profiles.

But great links and features in the bar. I recommend it to others who aren’t so paranoid as me.

Hey, thanks!!

BTW, there is no data-mining going on to build personal profiles, LOL. Maybe a liiiiitle bit too much paranoia. :yes:

But, I can understand the concern. The thing to look out for when using a browser toolbar is the type of content and links included in a toolbar. Some spamboys will create a toolbar and fill it with affiliate links, spyware links, etc.

I have no interest in such stupid things.

The only data that may be collected is the same anonymous data that gets collected by every website you visit, including BlenderArtists. :eek:

The toolbar is a tremendous time-saver when searching for Blender-related topics because the Community-wide search feature is limited to only the most popular sites within the community. Most search results will provide exactly what you’re looking for within the first few hits.

Thanks!

BTW, I’m planning on creating specialized toolbars that will be available from within the main toolbar. The reasoning is that it should make it easier to locate things based on the “mode” that you’re in. For example, you could switch to the Modeling toolbar when looking for modeling-related content, etc. This should allow me to add more detailed content without the fear of it becoming too much of a problem locating things. I also want to be able to eventually have others create specialized toolbars (other languages, user groups like game-creators, architects, etc.) and have them be accessible from the main toolbar (a toolbar community). I think that would make for a better tool than just my generalized view of the type of content that users would prefer. We’ll see…

Perhaps I interpreted the privacy statement on the Community Toolbars website incorrectly.

Could there be a small title area that lists the currently running competitions or various other headlines in the toolbar? The weekend Challenge, the SMCs? countdown timers for these?

Cheers.

Doug

Wow! I saw my name in there under the Blender Underground feeds. It is a great toolbar and Kernond has a great website too.

@Alltaken
I’ll look into adding a Feed of the Challenges threads to see how that works out.

The toolbar can also display javascript applets in dropdown windows or dialogs so, it’s possible that timers and other tools could be added to the toolbar. However, I won’t have the time to create those types of things myself. Anyone interested should get in touch with me before coding something just to be sure that the tool would be something that could work within the toolbar.

I think that a Blender Challenges/Speed Modeling toolbar could be useful. I’ll add it to the list of ideas. Thanks.

I just tested a Weekend Challenge feed in the toolbar. I don’t know how useful it would be because it simply lists the basic titles of each thread (i.e. - Animation Challenge #49 Entries OPEN).

If there’s a way to provide more details, I think it would be a useful addition to the toolbar. Any ideas?

EDIT:
I can also add HTML components to the toolbar so that might serve as the basis for a solution.

Thank you for this - I really like it, and the links to the material libraries and rigs are gold by themselves :slight_smile:
I’ve barely started using it, but already it is making its impact on my internet use :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi kernond,

I’ve been using your toolbar for a couple of days now and I think it’s great.

I have a question though. Is there any way that I can customize it?

Thanks in advance,

PMM

Thanks, I’m glad that others find it useful.

Unfortunately, customizing the toolbar is currently not possible. Hopefully, this will be possibility at some point in the future.

Thanks for the reply kernond.

I’d like to suggest that you add The Process Diary to your list of feeds or blog links.
http://theprocessdiary.blogspot.com/

It’s a nice Blender related site and I’ve already found a couple of good books from there.

Thanks for your tool bar and your time…ooo and of course your fantastic web site.

PMM

Hey, thanks for the tip! I’ve never seen that site before. It looks good and I’ll definitely be adding it in the next update.

Your welcome and I’ll be looking forward to the update.

Again, thanks for your efforts,

PMM

Toolbar Updated - see Latest Changes