Blender UI evolution 1.73 -> 2.34

While i was doing the new splash for the cvs build, i did a snapshot of all the blender version on download.blender.org.
A nice travel in time.
to show evolution(and great version compatibility feature), i use the same blend file from the demo loop.
ho and the new splash: the splash in history:
CVS splash

(edit) 180 was missing

Quite an interface and splash change over those versions. The 1.78 GUI looks like some industrial workshop.

Ah yes, the old buttons! I remember those :slight_smile:
They did have that industrial feel to them…

Zsolt

Hey would you mind if I used those images and your idea for an article? That is an amazing look at blender as it progressed.

Or if you would prefer, would you like to write an article up yourself and submit it to blenderman.org?

Only now it looks sleek and modern.

For some reason, it also resembles what interfaces were like in the old days of MS DOS

I don’t mind if you do. I did it to show everyone the chnage we sometime forget. So pp how don’t like the gui can at least see what was a truly ugly interface(refering to 1.73 relative to today).

1.73 was a challendge to get as it is only on linux. and use lib from 7 years ago.

if you have major version i didn’t put here. i’m interested to get a screenshot.
if i remember right there is a ~2.16(which is almost a secret) and all version under 1.73 would ba a cool peek in history.

Which was the one with the cat on the wall in the splash?

That was 2.14, which had a special 2.13 splash screen when you opened it on friday the 13th.

Martin

talk about waste of code lines :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow…the old crappy looking buttons from 1.80…
/me gets a surge of memories

Can’t believe it’s been that long :slight_smile:

hey, i remember 2.25! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t mind if you do. I did it to show everyone the chnage we sometime forget. So pp how don’t like the gui can at least see what was a truly ugly interface(refering to 1.73 relative to today).

1.73 was a challendge to get as it is only on linux. and use lib from 7 years ago.

if you have major version i didn’t put here. i’m interested to get a screenshot.
if i remember right there is a ~2.16(which is almost a secret) and all version under 1.73 would ba a cool peek in history.[/quote]

Cool!, I’ll start writing tonight! Thanks!

wait, hold it! :stuck_out_tongue:
before you start writing a UI change doc, consider waiting until 2.35 is released. First of all, the buttons layout is being rearranged; and also new button drawtypes are being researched. For a look at our (i’m on the team) progress, you can see the wiki here: http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/ButtonsInformationArchitecture

So, you could write the article now, but it would be much more comprehensive if you waited until 2.35 :wink:
(although i know that might be a bit of a wait…)

Very nice evolution we have here. Thanks for taking the screenies, enjoyable to see. :smiley:

[quote=“Blenergetic”]

wait, hold it! :stuck_out_tongue:
before you start writing a UI change doc, consider waiting until 2.35 is released. First of all, the buttons layout is being rearranged; and also new button drawtypes are being researched. For a look at our (i’m on the team) progress, you can see the wiki here: http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/ButtonsInformationArchitecture

So, you could write the article now, but it would be much more comprehensive if you waited until 2.35 :wink:
(although i know that might be a bit of a wait…)[/quote]

I tell ya what, I’ll write article now and give hints of what’s to come based on the link you gave me. :smiley:

And when 2.35 comes out a do a huge write up on it :smiley:

Why do people hate the old UI so?

Simply put, because it’s ugly.

Well I like it.

Ok… it’s not like we’re stopping you from using it, no need to get defensive.

Oh by the way, if you need something for your article, I have all the Blender versions, including the ones between 2.04 and 2.25 (which Gabio left out), starting from version 1.72, at home. Including the Friday 13th one.
Just tell me if you need a screenshot, or the splash, or anything.

Zsolt