Blender Video Tutorials -- The first batch

I just watched the ramp shaders video. it all makes sense now! I really needed your tutorial, but my only request is to encode the audio at a higher bitrate, it’s sounds pretty bad. Thanks for your hard work.

Cheers,

bob

Ok here it is:www.angelfire.com/theforce/blendax/movies/greenscreencompress.avi
Divx compressed
You can get the plugin from here:http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins/sequence/chromakey_rgb/index.html

It is silent because I am having problems with my michrophone
This is my first video tutorial :smiley:

Thanks Jedi Dawn, the plugin makes sense now. Great job.

But, the resolution is too high. 720x480 would be fine.

but my only request is to encode the audio at a higher bitrate

The bit rate I’m using is actually the highest that Virtual Dub uses for 22kHz 16bit mono audio. I could convert it to stereo to get one step higher, but It’s probably not worth doubling the audio stream.

Speaking of audio I’ve been running into some issues with FrontCam as far recording two parts of a tutorial. Apperently when ever I record the second half of the Interface tutorial, I get some bad audio curruption (which is why it’s been longer in the making). It maybe just due to the fact that I may have to restart FrontCam before I create a different file. Also, it chops up on CPU intensive things, which Blender never does, but in my tutorial with Virtual dub it chopped up a bit.

I have that tutorial ready to upload, but I’m working on getting XVidCap working on my machine in Linux. There’s an update for X that we are working on installing now. So, if that goes well, I’ll just do it in Linux from now on, which means that we’ll have slightly smaller file sizes and a higher frame rate. Not to mention it will take less time for me to make them, since Transcode is so bloody fast.

I’ll have that tutorial for how to make your own video tutorials on today. I just have to upload it.

http://www.zerohaven.com/gmoyes/blendervt-makingavideotutorial-windows-r0.avi

New tutorial, this is how you actually make a tutorial. Link is also on the first post.

We tried all the new drivers and it’s still the same problem with XVidCap on my machine. Oh well, sooner or later I’ll figure out exactly how to avoid that audio curruption.

Great stuff :slight_smile: we should hopefully see a lot of video tutorials soon.

Do you think we can get this made into a sticky? Or just a new topic stickied called Video tutorials containing links to all the video tutorials people make?

Cool! :smiley:

I never realized VirtualDub had that kind of potential!

-Laurifer

Do you think we can get this made into a sticky? Or just a new topic stickied called Video tutorials containing links to all the video tutorials people make?

I’m hoping that I can set up a web page for this. I’m already planning on hosting my own site (have the domain, just gotta fork out the $90 for 14 months of 1gig space), and just have these tutorials be a sub-section of it in my projecs section.

Server storage is a big issue, because I want to make a ton of tutorials, and I want people to submit theirs. Although, with a gig of space we can fit 10 hours of tutorials. Mirrors would be great. Bit Torrent would be ideal. And if we can get a server with tons of space that would be good too. I’m still working on some ideas, but I want to have a permanent site for people to get tutorials that are organized.

I’ll powershare the tutorials on edonkey network if you want to.

Here’s that interface concept video… finally.

http://www.zerohaven.com/gmoyes/blendervt-interface-concept-v234-r0.avi

This link has also been added to the first post.

I finally figured out where that audio curruption was coming from, or at least what caused it. Whenever I held down CTRL and then dragged with the middle mouse (for zooming) that’s when the problem arose. I don’t know if it’s some wierd FrontCam bug or if Blender just used a ton of CPU usage to zoom like that. In any case, I didn’t do it this time and it worked. Go figure.

Anyway, take a look at it. It’s covers some very basics, so for most of you it won’t be very educational (there’s a few things worth watching though). This won’t be quite at usefull as the Rampshaders tutorial, but I mainly want people to critique it.

:o :o :o :o :o

wow - now that is REAL GREAT STUFF - now i know all about those RAMP
SHADERS. I read manual, but it wasn’t so easy to understand.

THANKS Metsys :smiley:

WOOW, now back to skin-SSS-like material :Z

really nice!
if only i had this when i started to use blender…
GW!

Thanks for making these awesome video tutorials. Just what I have been waiting for! Can’t wait to see more :slight_smile:

space… I have some. so you could use it. really no problem. just inform me if you want some (Ihave like 1,6gb, unl. transfer, so dont worry). I could give you at least 600mb… cuz vidtuts is great stuff :slight_smile:

> didnt read trough the thread so maybe you already have some :slight_smile: anyways my mail:
marc.chehab ‘a%t’ blender3d.ch

Wow! That was amazing. I learned so much more than just reading a tutorial. I hope I can see more VT in the future. Especially on UV Texturing and UV unwrapping. Keep up the good work.

I just watched the “how to make video tutorials” tutorial.

Can you just start Blender a few pixels lower than the corner (like 20 pixels below the corner)? That would place the FrontCam banner above the Blender Window. Something like recording an 800x620 image. Then, you can crop the top few pixel rows and get rid of the banner without cutting off any of the Blender Window.

Can you just start Blender a few pixels lower than the corner (like 20 pixels below the corner)? … Then, you can crop the top few pixel rows and get rid of the banner without cutting off any of the Blender Window.

That’s actually what I do. When I tell Blender to start in a 800x600 window, that is the actual size of the OpenGL part of the window. The Window size is more like 810x630 or something like that, because windows adds the borders and header. I tell FrontCam to record the “OpenGL” part of the window, plus 16px of the window header so it can be cropped out later.

Chimera: “space… I have some.”

That would be appreciated. I’m working on getting a main site up, for a forum and an index of the tutorials, bit torrent trackers, and so on. I’ll need mirrors soon, so I’ll take your name down and keep that in mind.

And if anyone wants to help with actually making tutorials… let me know.

well you could join with GreyBeard who did a vidtut too. to both of you… great stuff btw…

well you could join with GreyBeard who did a vidtut too.

We’ve talked about it. I’m still testing the water to see where I got with this. Speaking of swimming I just released two more tutorials. Another should be out today that will be on the vital functions (almost done with that one). So when the appending tutorial refers to some things I said in the vital functions, don’t worry about :).

http://www.zerohaven.com/gmoyes/blendervt-interface-3dviewport-v234-r0.avi
http://www.zerohaven.com/gmoyes/blendervt-interface-vitalfunctions-appending-v234-r0.avi

After these I’ll go more into some more advanced stuff again.

Just finished and uploaded the Vital Functions tutorial.

http://www.zerohaven.com/gmoyes/blendervt-interface-vitalfunctions-v234-r0.avi

I will say that things have been pretty successful with these tutorials. Since I’ve posted these we’ve had 10GB of video transfered, and we’ll probably break 11GB after today, probably more with these new tutorials (on the 7th we transfered 2.5GB, which is half our bandwidth for a day, wow.)

So, this has given me the drive that I need to seriously persue this project, especially with some of the other great tutorials being made–GreyBeard<ackem> :).