Blender VS Maya Which is Best

As I am new to this 3D modelling today I am searching for what software to learn and found an article about Blender VS maya and thought of learning Blender is it right to learn Blender.

Welcome to the club!

The question “which SW is better” is being asked often and the answer is: none. Or all of them. It doesn’t matter. Point is, there is no thing like “better”. Each has its own pros and cons (as the article already says, afterall) and only depens on user and perhaps on purpose to use given tool.

Blender is free, offers vast range of tools from modeling and sculpting to texturing, rendering, animation and even video editing, etc. Pretty much complete CG workflow. Not all of these are the best on the market, though and Blender is infamous for doing things its own way.
Not a problem for a begginer hobbyist, but a proffessional might want to stick to more industry sandard for example.
Both Blender and Maya are on par with the rest of big CG players, so its highly subjective.

Just follow your guts and choose whatever tool fits you “better” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Congratulations on your objective judgment, we lacked another like you!

I like blender, but all modeling software is dependent on what you want to do, for instance if I want to create models like bench’s or play structures I prefer Animation Master, as it is a spline editor and your customization is based on your imagination. But I am not very good at creating characters so I can not comment on that.
you can do low poly and high poly meshes, honestly I use blender as an interface for converting AM models to fbx for UE4. if gaming is what your after than you might want to stick with blender as they are working closely with Blender on the compatibility with each others software. if all you want to do is create animations that I would take into consideration the learning curve for using the software and the support given to it by the creator of the software.
I hope this helps with your choices.

pros and cons about Blender

Cons

Startup Cube

Seriously?

2 Likes

Obviously Blender is best :wink:

1 Like

Please forum moderator, delete this post about Blender…
It make me angry because isn’t objective, and seem to me a review, from guy that not know well Blender this is IMO gratuitous insult. Or indirect advertising pro-Maya re-enactment. Maybe it will be paid as an influencer.

Unless you have the income of a full production studio, maya 3d is not a good choice. So unless you are running a studio that has steady stream of income, blender 3d should be your choice. Unless your just rich and are not worried about the cost.

Maya is subscription, and is expensive. Blender 3d is free. With blender you can sculpt, with maya you will need to purchase another program, with zbrush being the recommended choice. ZBrush has a big price tag, but is worth it when you are good enough to make money with 3d modeling.

There is other alternative 3d editing software. If your not concerd with sculpting, then you can check out silo.

When you’re learning, Blender is hard to beat, because it really does implement the entire video production life-cycle in one free piece of software.

Furthermore, today Blender is the software that some professional studios have standardized upon! It can now comfortably be said that "Blender has arrived," and takes its rightful place in the constellation of “professional CG software.”

However, many other (large) studios haven’t, and they never will, because it will never make economic sense for them to do so. (The business risk would be off-the-chart, and the return on investment, non-existent. License-expense is simply a cost of doing business for them.) That’s why you might need to learn Maya or 3DS. These shops are looking for platform-specific skills, and are doing so for a very compelling-to-them business reason. If you want to get a job there, you have to do things their way.

But if you want to learn what to do with “whatever-it-is product,” no doubt “Blender can do it, too.” That’s what makes it a stupendous learning tool.

1 Like

At last another one of these “Blender vs X” threads appeared. Can’t get enough of them. They may start in civilised manner, but sooner or later they always end up in rage fires.

Well, I’ve never understood why this would have to be so (although we all see it). The reality is that all of these products have a history, and studios which adopted them, adopted them early and pushed their development in the directions that they needed to go. Then, they proceeded to build up in-house experience, and a few billion dollars’ worth of digital assets. They know how to take on a major project and “get 'er done.” They pour their time and attention into making their standard product better.

Blender languished a long time before it broke free from the old days and received a comprehensive user-experience makeover. It is vastly improved from what it used to be a few years ago, and as a result it’s being used much more widely. But nothing will change the business-setting of a major studio that has standardized its pipeline on “anything else,” and no one should ever expect it to. The idea would be insane. They’d be putting everything at risk, with no return.

“Blender versus X” == “Apples versus Oranges.”

I started with Extreme 3D (by Macromedia) in college. I would still use it for animated banner image sequences of logos.

3D Max was tool for college movies. Later I made TV commercials with it and Movie fxs.
I never learned the right way to model untill later with Blender, the way I think is the right way, vertices, edges tris and quads. I still havent done game stuff much (tris).

Animation master was awesome in many ways, very awesome for me, however the renderer cannot compete with Blenders internal or Blender’s cycle.

Houdini by Side Effects, #1 if all that I did everyday would be visual effects. I would still make models in Blender I think.

Maya vs Blender, both but that way is a rocky road. For someone who is smart in that way.

I’ve only recently started with Blender. I learned Maya first, then 3dsMax on my own, and have used both professionally since 2003. I’ve also used C4D, and use Rhino 3D (very different) and a limited amount of engineering software, mostly just to open things and get the data I need.

Most of the software has a purpose. Maya is pretty flexible, but is still entertainment focused. 3dsMax still has a focus paired to Arch Viz for some reason. They can still do other things, obviously, and many people do that. but that’s where their roots came from.

Blender doesn’t seem to have that. I think that’s both a Pro And Con. For the way I work, I can tell you that I do Not like data organization in blender. The layers menu seems like someone just hacked something together as a temporary solution, and then that’s just the way it is now. And the scene tree doesn’t make things easier. I have No idea how people work together in blender yet…but like I said, i’m learning. And I haven’t figured out how people deal with scenes with thousands of pieces.
Maya still actually has troubles with that, probably for the same reason, however most studios have their own tools written to handle the data they use. Seriously, visit Any animation studio that uses Maya and you probably won’t even recognize the software.

Anyway, Blender is a really good choice. If you just Learn something and become really good at it, you can always be a one man show. And you can also learn another software pretty quickly if you already know how everything works. Understanding how color works in 3d? Well, it’s the same for all of the softwares, and you’ll be really annoyed at how many get it wrong (keyshot is a great example there). Animation curves? Same. Polygonal topology? Shoot, that even applies to engineering these days with them now including SubDiv.
Yeah, you’ll have to learn the hotkeys for extrude edge, or figure out how to select a loop (if it’s even possible, fusion 360, UGH).

If you learn all the ins and outs of Blender, you’ll be in good shape. And the whole time, it’ll cost you nothing.

Maya and blender both are great. Both have own pro and cons. So it’s better to improve skills than shifting from one software to another.

The best will be your own answer.

Try both then choose the one you feel the most at ease with.

1 Like

Either one is good, so long as you believe in yourself.

Focus more on improving your artistic skills, rather than the tool.
Learn to draw. Learn to sculpt. learn to animate. Learn to texture. Learn lighting. Learn to hard-surface model. Learn composition. Learn about VFX/comping workflows. Learn about 3d workflows. Learn about character rigging. Learn about anatomy. Learn about architectural viz. Learn about motion graphics. Learn about graphic design.

And so on.

If you learn a few of those that you are interested in, the particular tool that you’d be working in becomes rather unimportant. Some tools are ‘better’ at one thing than another. A job may require more than one tool (often does nowadays).

But a tool is just a tool. If you cannot draw, the most expensive pencil in the world won’t help you to suddenly draw better.

2 Likes

The only right answer in my opinion in the long run is to learn both. But there are three parts to it.

The first part is the time you will spend to learn the software. This will be equal in both. And it will be time spent not in modeling but just about how to get around in the software.

So you will spend 2x the time eventually.

The second is learning the tools of modeling. Where they are and how they work. The best thing to do is pick one of the two and learn it first. This process won’t be 2x but much less on the second app you learn because you know what you are looking for.

The third is the skill of modeling. This is part a) the technique and skill. This comes over years. And part b) is learning how and where to use what tools given the situation. And what tools work faster.

And then you will find eventually that you wind up using another app in some cases because it can get you there faster.

Start with Blender. It is free to use. And it is great at modeling.

Then at some point down the road learn Maya. Don’t have a closed mind about it. Maya has a lot of great features.

2 Likes

These old threads just keep coming back.

All of these programs – now including Blender – are “professional tools of the trade.” Whoever you work for, or whoever is your client, will have standardized on something, and so, that’s what you’ll use. You’ll master its strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. As time goes on you might find yourself jumping nimbly from one to another to the next. None are “best.”

1 Like

The answer to which one is “better” is the one that works for you. People and companies have different needs and the benefit of a paid Maya seat might mean production goes faster for a company and they are more profitable as a result. For myself, as a serious hobbyist/potential professional, Blender being free and full-featured makes it great. I can afford to always have the latest version, I won’t be trapped in an obsolete license.