Blender vs Maya

Now that is impossible because every single developer who has ever contributed code would have to agree to it.

Not really. Autodesk makes its money with CAD software. Max and Maya are just peanuts.

1 Like

Pretty large peanuts I would say. And that is basically my point… they are just sitting there dripping in cash. They don’t innovate on each new release because they are a CAD company.

1 Like

Wtf I have never heard of that before for an apple seed?

Yes, it is horrible.
There are even open source seeds. Here is link to the first open source tomato:
https://www.opensourceseeds.org/en/seed/tomato-„sunviva“

1 Like

Bananas too. Most of the worlds Bananas come from a variety grown in England that was taken abroad as a gift by a travelling missionary. Now the world is eating that banana… they really should have patented that one. :slight_smile:

These peanuts are not that large for a company like AD:

I cant see those stats… Statista want to me to pay for the information. Heh. The CAD business is a different ball game anyway, one that Autodesk has pretty much dominated for decades. I guess you’d have to weigh up the revenue from comparable products by other companies to see the market dominance.

Blender still wins - it’s free and generally just as powerful and capable as the “big guns”. If i had to put money into a commercial 3D app, it would be Cinema4D.

I made cycles calculate luminance in full spectrum rather than its current (wildly inaccurate but good enough for most situations) simplified RGB model.

1 Like

Interesting. I get to see them with out problems.
It breaks down revenue for 2018:

866.5 million: architecture, engineering, constuction
589.2 million: manufacturing
401.4 million: AutoCAD
152 million: Media and Entertainment (which Max and Maya are a part of but also conatins of other apps)
47.5 millioin: Other

Hey there,
interesting list but shouldn’t we consider to 3ds Max (and maybe even Maya) be part of this aswell since Architecture could also mean archviz where 3ds max plays a big foot in this area?

Hm… Max appears to be in the Architecture, Engineering, Construction Collection so perhaps you´re right.

Well I thought so because 3ds max is still the most used software for architectural visualizations by large margin and Autodesk is taking advantage(understandably) of it as mentioned above. Reasons why is that have been answered many times and are still (unfortunately) valid.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Off Topic discussion regarding Licensing

Remember that the GPL is a legally enforceable copyright license. The product cannot be sold, neither can it be bought by someone else. And, that’s a matter of settled law. Blender is the shared intellectual property – but, intellectual property, nonetheless – of all of its contributors.

No more license talk, back to Blender / Maya. I split the thread if anyone wants to continue the License discussion.

1 Like

Blender® is Blender. Maya® is Maya. 3DS® is 3DS. You use the product [version …] that the client tells you to use – the one that’s specified in the contract that you signed. If that product entails license fees, those are merely part of “COGS = Cost of Goods Sold.”

No one is ever going to permit multiple products to be used in a production: the business risks are obvious, and completely avoidable. You’re gonna pay the software bill – if there is one – just like you pay the light bill and the water bill, and it all goes against the expenses of the project. When you’re putting the project together, you’re going to decide what software to use based on a variety of business factors … but “license cost” is not going to be one of them. If you decide it’s the best tool for the job, and it costs money, well, you figure that into the budget along with everything else (like salaries). That’s all.

And you do get something of value in return for your money, namely a support commitment from the vendor. It’s a perfectly ordinary business arrangement. (Plus, "everything costs money somehow," even when it’s “free.”)

In my experience multiple products in a production happen all the time. And it works fine, too.
It probably depends on the type of project.

i see no reason why you would limit the amount of software used on a project. I’ve been in studios where they use everything from max/maya, blender, and houdini.

On top of all the other programs like substance, zbrush unreal, etc

1 Like

Yep … and they’re going to consciously decide from the start exactly what the product-mix will be.