Blender vs. Solidworks

I relocated this post to a more appropriate location.

Good evening,

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts on the pros and cons of Blender vs. Solidworks would be greatly appreciated. I am an drafter trying to model (for illustration purposes only - not for use in manufacturing or shop drawing creation) custom/classical furniture as well as high end/custom kitchens/baths in cad. (I currently use Archicad to model the structure but it is not well suited for semi-organic parts such as furniture legs, etc.) Blender seems to have some advantages (i.e. it is free) and a nice community whereas Solidworks has a nice/relatively easy ui but is huge and powerful, possibly much more than I need. Thanks for the thoughts - would be willing to provide some engineering assistance for single family homes for those in need.

way too much money you would dump.

Blender - T-Splines - Rhino is what I would propose.

It sounds that you are not very relying on parametric and thus
you should not have any issue.

If you on paper have the blue print you will be perfectly fine modeling
in Blender and bringing it into Rhino and than to manufacturing.

Blender SDS to T-Splines
T-Splines to Rhino
Rhino to production / engineering.

NURBS surfaces from Rhino could be exported as IGES and imported into
any engineering software as an A surface and than they can generate the
B-Surface.

If you want to talk about it in more depth shoot me an email at info at ckbrd dot de

See my response in your other thread.

if he works with blender than parametric modeling is a non sense and the options you proposed
are way to expensive and beyond his scope.

So, “T-Splines” & Rhino are free options, then? And the only viable ones available, eh?

I believe a couple of the options I presented to him are pretty reasonable (Alibre or MoI 3D @ ~ US$200 each to start.)

I also believe I made the comment that IF he were to desire to produce or manufacture his designs, he simply wouldn’t be disappointed with the likes of SolidWorks (one of several MCAD apps that I’ve used extensively in a manufacturing setting.) I further commented that it is pretty robust in its feature set. In my experience (20 yrs in mechanical CAD design,) its parametrics are pretty handy in a production environment, where blender, as awesome as it is, was never intended to be applied. Rhino? Its an adequate option, but interestingly not that widely implemented that I know of. And certainly not cheap.

I realized he stated that he wouldn’t be producing his designs beyond visualizations, but you never know… so I thot I’d comment on some of the many options out there.

…but silly me, I forgot that you’re the final authority on all things ID, Claas.